Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby announce LNER J50

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I was surprised to see quite how much a 'kit of parts' a RTR model like this actually is!  Not sure whether or not it's the same motor as the J15; it certainly looks quite small.

Looks to be the same motor as the J15 to me.

The 'kit' looks decent,  presumably the test build will be shown in the next 'Engine shed' communique. I can see some 'design clever' on it: the lamp irons on the front platform appear to be moulded integrally for example. This is very sensible in terms of reduction of separately applied parts while maintaining detail. Plenty of cast ballast weights in evidence too. The one sub-system I couldn't spot was the gearbox, but given how sweetly the K1 and J15 run with sensibly chosen ratios for the typical work such locos would do, I believe Hornby know what they are doing.

• Like 3

..... The one sub-system I couldn't spot was the gearbox, but given how sweetly the K1 and J15 run with sensibly chosen ratios for the typical work such locos would do, I believe Hornby know what they are doing.

The gearbox casing is on the grey sprue at bottom left....

Worked so well for Hornby, they never made it an option again.

Yes, but back then, all the components had been taken through their complete decoration cycle, such as it was, and

Tri-ang's saving was the final assembly, which was engineered to the bare minimum with scale fidelity taking a back

seat if need be. The kit then had to be fairly elaborately packed to preserve the finish, whereas a fully-built product was

rolled in a bit of yellow p-u foam with a couple of end rings and slid into a simple box. Both assembly and packing are

more elaborate for today's models, but many of the components are actually sprued Airfix-style and have a degree of

protection as they coe out of the mould. 

But I can't see it coming about today.

The Nim.

• RMweb Premium

In those days - pre 1973, when VAT was introduced in the UK - purchase tax was levied on the finished product, but kits were either tax free or subject to a lower rate of purchase tax. Kit building was a way of avoiding tax - you saved on both the manufacturer's assembly costs and on tax.

When VAT arrived it applied across the board, so there was no exception or reduction for kits. Some of us remember that kit building cars was reasonably popular in those days - some small manufacturers went out of business as a result of the change of tax treatment.

This was a particular circumstance in the past - it is hard to see any return to that situation or those days.

John

• RMweb Premium

The reason I said body kit was that I don't believe Hornby would consider selling a complete kit, that would abstract sales from the RTR product. A body only kit in the range £10 - £20 could be possible, with Hornby still making money from it. There is a precedence for this sort of thing, Hornby sold car kits based on Scalextric bodies.

• RMweb Gold

I think the price point even for a 'body only' kit would be nearer the £30 to £40 mark - look at contemporary Airfix kits and note that we would want 'full fat' detail to apply ourselves. I don't think complete kits with chassis are out of the question. The manufacturers are saying that labour is a major component of the rising costs for RTR - 'self build' would circumvent that and still be profitable for the manufacturers.

• Like 1

And just how popular were ViTrains bags of detail parts for the buyer to fit?

I am surprised that Airfix are yet to tap the railway market again (being part of the same company). A few static models designed as such of some of the bigger names in the range.

I digress though, and look forward immensely to the Engine Shed update on the J50, and more so to them arriving! I've got one on order at my local shop, if I find many more inspirational photos,it could end up as more!

Cheers

J

• 1 month later...

Today's "The Engine Shed" blog is on the J50.

EDIT:

Latest news on the J50 is up on Hornby's Engine Shed Blog:

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/

Including a running sample...

We were editing this at the same time but you beat me to it!

The 'hacksaw' sound effects in the video were a bit incongruous - sort of charming though.

Edited by Ozexpatriate