Hornby announce 'K-type' 1928 Pullman Cars

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Wouldn't the named coaches be suitable up until 1960, as the crest is the pre 1960 version and afaik the scrolls for the names remained the same. The 'Third Class' coaches would not be suitable post 1955 approx, when BR removed the 'Third Class' from the coaches leaving them as 'Car No --', but I'm hoping that 'Agatha' and 'Loraine' are suitable for BR up till 1960 period. Grateful for advice.

I think you are correct.

There may have been some small detail changes post war though.  For example, I think Loraine had the kitchen window modified so that there was a small cream panel at the bottom.  I believe this was to hide the view of the back of the cooking range previously visible through the obscured glass, but this is my interpretation rather than somehting I've read.

Loraine may also have had running numbers changed when moving from GWR to SR?

Edited by teaky

• RMweb Gold

Thats what I have in LNER Passenger trains and formations. 

That's good then since I pulled this from Antony Ford's Pullman Profile No. 3.  (Mind you, that may be where Steve Banks got his information too.)

That's good then since I pulled this from Antony Ford's Pullman Profile No. 3.  (Mind you, that may be where Steve Banks got his information too.)

If two sources say it is, then it must be fact! :D

• RMweb Gold

:jester:

Not in the interweb age.

Someone once said something along the lines: "It used to be thought that a million monkeys with typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the internet, we know that's not true."

It's also not true if the two sources are the Daily Mail and the Daily Express.  (And probably suspect even if only one of them is involved.)

• Like 2

The lack of curtains is part of the appeal of these for me. The painted curtains on most of the other Hornby Pullmans put me off (a pet hate I know).

I hope these are not just a limited run, as they seem to be selling quite quickly on some websites.

• Like 2

Has anyone had a chance to compare the colours of these with the Bachmann mk1's. On the Peterborough North thread Gilbert commented and pictured these with the the 1925 cars the colours  are lighter unmber and more yellow cream. Before anyone comments I know that these are technically correct for the 1930's 

Edited by davidw

Has anyone had a chance to compare the colours of these with the Bachmann mk1's. On the Peterborough North thread Gilbert commented and pictured these with the the 1925 cars the colours  are lighter unmber and more yellow cream. Before anyone comments I know that these are technically correct for the 1930's 

David,  as far as I can see, the umber on these is the same as other recent Hornby Pullman models, I've compared it to the Brighton Belle, early 60s model and the Bournemouth Belle 3 axle bogie types and it is the same shade. The cream colour is less yellow (paler) than the latest Brighton Belle (1960s version), but is the same shade as the Bournemouth Belle 3 axle bogie types from the 1950s set. The roof is off white/ivory, rather than white. I will probably paint the roof mid grey to match my other 1950s stock.

Antony Ford's tables show Car 72 was converted to a brake in 1960 and I have noticed Brake Car No 79 has been moulded with the original standard large oval window in the passenger door. As with a few other cars such as Thelma, Brake No 79 was fitted with the smaller '1951' style oval window in approximately 1952 according to Antony Ford's book.

Page 94 of Ford's Book No3 shows a close up of JUANA in the "early sixties" inserted in the Bournemouth Belle. She still has the original lining and early crests. Although the Southern Region seem to have been quick to reline coaches they received from the eastern Juana seems to be an exception. Other Pullmans, especially on western region have retained early Pullman crests after 1960. Car No 34 is a celebrity on the Bournemouth Belle. It seems from Antony Ford's notes that she ran to the end (1967) unplated i.e. with original matchboarding and kept the early crests.

I'm seriously considering relining/numbering my Brake 79 to one of the other three of these purpose built brakes, i.e. nos 77,78 or 80 to be post 1960 so they can go with bachmanns Mk1 Pullmans behind a Deltic or A1. Fox seem to do all the necessary transfers and HMRS seem to cover most requirements. Can anyone point me in the right direction for best results and to match Hornby printing not removed. As a previous poster has suggested we may have to wait a long time before Hornby issue these All Steel K's in post 1960 finish and, allowing for inflation, they will be even more expensive when, or, if they come. Trouble with Hornby is you just don't know where you are. Loads of new toolings. How about a new Black 5?

• RMweb Premium

Always the possibility of variation on the real thing too. The lead coach in this shot looks lighter than the following one.

http://plumbloco.smugmug.com/Trains/Former-Southern-Railway-Lines/i-5JXnLXd/0/XL/GMP_Slide1104_35023_Southampton_271064-XL.jpg

I'm afraid I disagree. To me the lighter look is caused by the sunrise and the shadows on part of the second caused by the signal bracket.