Hornby announce 'K-type' 1928 Pullman Cars

Andy Y

Forgive my lack of knowledge but are these suitable for use with the Met-Camms?

Quick answer...Yes. Shame, is the Bachmann and Hornby colours differ in interpretation. Edited by davidw

• RMweb Premium

New release of 1928 Pullman is apreparing. Dark grey roofs,late 50's early 60's insignia. Two brake 3rds/2nds available. And 3 further cars available next month. Strange the kitchen third is absent from the line up....

R4693 now seems to be Third Brake 78, where as when first announced R4693 seems to have been intended as Third Kitchen 67. (See post 153 on this thread)

Does anyone know any more about this or other future changes to the all steel Pullman line up ?  Tom

R4693 now seems to be Third Brake 78, where as when first announced R4693 seems to have been intended as Third Kitchen 67. (See post 153 on this thread)

Does anyone know any more about this or other future changes to the all steel Pullman line up ? Tom

I've emailed Hornby with that same question.

• RMweb Premium

David,

I telephoned Hornby yesterday pointing this out that, as it stands, The Queen of Scots set cannot be completed without the 3rd, Kitchen Car. I also reminded them that the initial run last year which applied to the earlier years up to approx. 1954 included this Kitchen Car.

As this issue of the K Type Pullman Cars is the first available for the mid/late 50s, a very popular period, it is all a bit strange unless of course the 3rd. Kitchen Car will be in the next production run of their models?

I've emailed Hornby with that same question.

Reply from Hornby. The jist of it was that the item was a victim of the range trimming earlier in the year. Not confirmed as yet whether it would be in the 2017 range...

I made a plea for a gresley RF and mk1 BSO and FO there was no comment on the latter three items.

Edited by davidw

I don't think the proposed Kitchen Third has been deferred, but for some reason Hornby have not gone ahead with producing it, instead have produced an additional Brake Third. I've checked the Hornby 2016 handbook, which came out before the catalogue, and that listed R4693 as being allocated to a K-Type Kitchen Third No 67. R4693 has now been released as a Third Brake No 78, an additional brake vehicle. The delayed Pullmans are not K series but the panelled type. This is either an error, or there will be further K types in this livery version next year.  

I don't think the proposed Kitchen Third has been deferred, but for some reason Hornby have not gone ahead with producing it, instead have produced an additional Brake Third. I've checked the Hornby 2016 handbook, which came out before the catalogue, and that listed R4693 as being allocated to a K-Type Kitchen Third No 67. R4693 has now been released as a Third Brake No 78, an additional brake vehicle. The delayed Pullmans are not K series but the panelled type. This is either an error, or there will be further K types in this livery version next year.  

The e-mail I had from Hornby stated that it had been cancelled and it isn't currently know if this will be included in the 2017 range. 

There is a nice new book out from Crecy Publishing called "In the Tracks of the Bournemouth Belle" by Kevin Robertson. Obviously lots of pictures of Pullmans.

The book also shows the MK1 BGs used including the two Choc Cream "borrowed" from Western Region. The Southern green ones feature, which if I am correct means you can date the picture to 1964 onwards, perhaps 1963 at earliest. There were very few Green BGs. (Not all the captions are dated). Most are maroon which show up in black and white photos given away by the lining. Later on Blue Grey appears.

Page 38 shows Whimple with a green BG followed by an unidentifiable car which still sports a pre-1960 crest on its side. Page 125 shows Car No 34 on the last day of the Belle. She still had pre-1960 crests AND the more detailed pre-1960 1930s style lining.

Edited by CLIVE MARK

I would think the reason Hornby have not iisued the Kitchen third is because all 8 prototypes were converted into brake thirds to run with the Mk1 Pullmans c1959. Therefore no kitchen thirds ran with the elongated crest. The converted brake thirds had smaller brake van windows than cars 77-80. Cars involved were 67-72 from the 1928 build and 81 & 82 from the 1931 build.

• Like 1

...as it stands, The Queen of Scots set cannot be completed without the 3rd, Kitchen Car. I also reminded them that the initial run last year which applied to the earlier years up to approx. 1954 included this Kitchen Car.

As this issue of the K Type Pullman Cars is the first available for the mid/late 50s, a very popular period, it is all a bit strange ...

I am thoroughly inexpert in the fine detail of the ER Pullman train formations in the BR period, but can see from 1950s photos that the older K type cars (readily identifiable by the underframe trusses) were definitely to be seen working with the all steel QoS vehicles; so is that one possible option for the missing 2nd class kitchen car?

The brakes are out 3 further cars due this month.

Hornby are doing Joan, Ursula and Car 83. A good choice.

Antony Ford's book shows these three to be in regular use on the Bournemouth Belle during the 1960's.

Joan was also used on the North of England Pullman trains. There's a picture of her behind a peak at St Pancras.

Edited by CLIVE MARK

Hi. It might be my eyesight, but the curtains on car 78 seem to be too short. Or are they right and for some reason did not cover the bottom of the windows?

I'm guessing Hornby shrunk them in the wash.

https://flic.kr/p/cMT4oE

but then again Eric Treacy's pic seems to show some at half mast.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/102725131

P

Edited by Porcy Mane