Muddy's dithering "journey" into O Gauge - help please GWR vs Southern decision

muddys-blues

Don't worry about the build time as I've been sketching on beermats and instead of counting sheep to get to sleep I count loco moves to shunt a train of wagons into their destination siding's for the last few years.  Having in the last 1/4 2014 settled on my plan I'm having to get someone in to lay all the track and wire up for dcc as even though I'm retired now I seem to have more real life issues to deal with. 

Thank god I had the base boards built.

Your project seems one hell of a plan mine has down sized as the time went by from 20ft to 15ft now at 12 1/2ft at least I get more room in my shed this way.

I'll be looking out for your plan with interest.

Great stuff.

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul, I certainly did, I put a wanted ad on here, and got a reply within 2 hours and a deal was done, I also have a full set of Iris RTC transfers from those wonderful people at Railtec, I have some extra detailing and seats form Shawn @ Easybuild, I found the Westdale "wooden window beading for seats a bit poor".

Depending on my work load, as we are heading into holiday season here next weekend, I may try and plod on in what little spare time I will have, but hey ho I will get there slowly.

Best regards

Craig.

Hi Paul, I certainly did, I put a wanted ad on here, and got a reply within 2 hours and a deal was done, I also have a full set of Iris RTC transfers from those wonderful people at Railtec, I have some extra detailing and seats form Shawn @ Easybuild, I found the Westdale "wooden window beading for seats a bit poor".

Depending on my work load, as we are heading into holiday season here next weekend, I may try and plod on in what little spare time I will have, but hey ho I will get there slowly.

Best regards

Craig.

Hey Craig,

It is already silly season as the English schools have (the majority of) broken up already, It's bl##dy mad here!!!!

I've got absolutely nothing done at all over this weekend, so I know about diversions and work. A good friend once told me that he used to make an appointment in his diary for himself, at least a few hours a week!!!

You'll get there, just keep plodding.

Jinty ;)

PS took a phot of a Dismal Mechanical Unmentionable yesterday at Llangollen for you. Strange though, it was in this funny green colour?? And I thought a C4 was a Citroen???

post-14906-0-72736500-1436722542_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-88472200-1436722553_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Now then, Jinty, don't be rude about the Wickham.  I've driven many pleasant miles in that.  And I couldn't half make the windows rattle going up Berwyn bank!!!

A question for your readers:  Why is the brake handle lying on the hand brake wheel?  And no, it's not because the driver's forgotten it!!!  There is a reason for it.

Rod

Now then, Jinty, don't be rude about the Wickham.  I've driven many pleasant miles in that.  And I couldn't half make the windows rattle going up Berwyn bank!!!

A question for your readers:  Why is the brake handle lying on the hand brake wheel?  And no, it's not because the driver's forgotten it!!!  There is a reason for it.

Rod

Hi Rod,

I didn't know you drove at Llangollen??

Anyway, my two penneth. Is it something to do with not releasing the handbrake before the brake handle is re-engaged or something along those lines?

Jinty ;)

Now then Jinty, just because you have now become a "Kettle Hugger" in your 7mm re-incarnation there is no need to be rude by comparing some Great British engineering to a piece of  Frog.. French Sh** ......  :nono: There one thing for sure, there won.t be any Citroen C4's knocking around in some 50 odd plus years.

Bog Carts Rule  :locomotive:

Craig.

There one thing for sure, there won.t be any Citroen C4's knocking around in some 50 odd plus years.

Craig.

You're right about that Craig, except the ones in museums that Sebastian Loeb drove of course!!!!!

Jinty ;)

"I didn't know you drove at Llangollen??

Anyway, my two penneth. Is it something to do with not releasing the handbrake before the brake handle is re-engaged or something along those lines?"

Hi Jinty.

Yes, I drove DMUs at Llangollen for 17 years - 4 training and then 13 years as a fully-fledged driver.  I also did quite a few years as a DMU-only guard.  I retired at the DMU Gala in June last year.  Hence the reason why my layout is so DMU biased.

About the brake handle.  Yes, it is a reminder, but a reminder that the handbrake is on.  On all the other units, the buzzer sounds continuously when the main key is turned on, to warn that the handbrake is applied: the Wickham doesn't have this feature.  In the early days we tied a piece of rag to it but found that leaving the brake handle on it  - in stations, anyway - was more convenient.

And yes, it did get left on!!  I was guarding on the first "official" trip with various invited dignitaries, former employees of Wickham, etc.  I gave the driver the 2 buzzes, he replied, let the brake off, selected first gear, applied power ..... and nothing happened!!  I was about to get out to walk up the platform to the cab when I saw him get out of his seat and release the handbrake!!!  I've done it, too, certainly in the yard but not in a platform (as far as I can remember!)

End of lesson!!!

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Craig.

Sorry but I have only just come across your thread so have not had any input into what you are doing. I like the way you are going about things and I promise that I will keep tabs on your site from now on. In the meantime I hope you are really enjoying your O gauge journey (you certainly seem to be doing) and finding that the bigger models have something that smaller scales never have. Don't worry about the amount of time it takes to build stuff its a hobby which is for enjoyment, Ramchester has taken two of us about 5 years to get to where it is today and I reckon that we still have another 5 years of work ahead of us before we can say it is complete (not finished).

Rod

Thanks Rod .... real life getting in the way at the moment  :drag: but I have at least done some workbench organising, so I do have a clean and tidy workspace when I get going again, I find if the workplace is tidy it does give a better impetus to do something.

And the 4mm stock is now getting to some sort of minimal amount.

Best regards

Craig.

• Like 1

Okay .... finally !!! on one of my few days off that I get during the Summer season  "if you can call it summer over here in North Wales at the moment" I took advantage of a poor days weather to dig out the Easy-build Class 129 Parcels kit.

This is the kit that I purchased for a great price off the Rails ebay site is the kit that started my change over to 7mm, and I am going to build as the RTC's Hydra unit.

I have made a start on cleaning up the cab ends and body sides, drilling out the holes for the hinges, bump stops, door handles etc, I have also drilled out the cab marker lights as I will be fitting my models with directional lighting and sound.

Craig.

post-8721-0-18610400-1438446057.jpg

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 7

Okay here are the Easy-build parts after a clean up of flash and a theraputic hole drilling session, sorry the pictures aren't that inspiring really, more of a pointer that I have at last got some kit building in progress.

For those of you that are unfamiliar with Easy-build kits, they are basically a bigger version of DC Kits DMU kits.

Craig.

post-8721-0-64532800-1438456989_thumb.jpg

post-8721-0-06519700-1438457006_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Craig

I still think the headcode bad as moulded is too small and it will be coming off my version and replaced with something a bit larger.

I have both the Hydra and Class 105 sets to do

Paul R

Hi Paul, sorry the picture of the prototype is not to clear because of the size of it, but I think it may be the length of the head codes from top to bottom that may be just a little shorter on the cab model ?

post-8721-0-06519700-1438457006_thumb.jppost-8721-0-54988600-1438534014.jpg

Edited by muddys-blues

Craig, in my opinion the headcode box is both mounted too high and appears too small.

On the prototype view, the bottom of the headcode box is in line with the bottom of the lights. But on your model one it is much higher.

It wouldn't take much to remove it and rebuild another, or just cut the hole out and make one up that lights up!!! A little bit of brass section and Bob's your Uncle!!! :imsohappy:

Jinty ;)

Morning Jinty, I don't mind at all people putting in constructive information it makes for a great model in the end, the depth if the HC was my main observation, as you correctly pointed out it should be in line with the marker lights.

I will have some brass etches in my Easy-build 122 kit that I won't be fitting so I will take a look to see if I can make use of them for this model.

PS how do you get those fancy coloured lines on my picture ? I must ask my Kids !!!

Happy modelling

Craig

• Like 1

Good evening .... well after a near Family biblical disaster in our house earlier on "THE INTERNET HAS GONE OFF !!!!" came the frantic screams from the Females in our house, but I sorted it out and normal screen gazing service was restored so I could get back to gentler pleasures of doing some more on my 129 build whilst listening to BBC 6 Music, so here are some pictures of the finer little things I have been fettling and fitting:

*** Well I would put the pictures on if I can get them to download !!! ***

I made up the fuel and engine coolant filler necks and body mounting castings:

This picture shows how the fillers will be eventually fitted in position from the inside of the body side

And finally for tonight the door hinges are being fitted: 

• Like 1