Muddy's dithering "journey" into O Gauge - help please GWR vs Southern decision

muddys-blues

Forgot to say in last post, welcome along to the world of 7mm, I'm sure you will enjoy it and the vast majority of folk are warm and welcoming (the miserable ones don't use the interweb too much, it's not powered by steam you see!!!!)

Guild membership is pretty good value too what with the gazette, shows and product directory etc

• Like 1

Yes again belated welcome -you won't regret it. I too have the same Cravens kits you do sitting waiting to be built. Others may correct me but I am not convinced the head code boxes on the front of the units area big enough - thy look too small compared to photos and I am going to carve mine off and replace them. My 2 car will probably BR green with small yellow panels. If I ever get another that will be plain blue so the head code box won't matter as it has to come off in any event. I shall also be doing Hydra and EasyBuild do have some transfers fir this unit for a small charge.

Paul R

Ahh, good man! Welcome aboard....you didn't take much persuading though!! :locomotive:

Yes, everything seems bigger, heavier and more expensive but so much more satisfying and with a lot more presence too.

Oh and 7mm signals seem easier to build than 4mm ones..mainly coz I can actually see them!

Jon F.

Welcome Craig. You don't need to be a millionaire to enjoy 0 Gauge; well not anymore. My layout is at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80426-cwm-bach-a-south-wales-branch-line/

Hi Chris, many thanks for the words of support, I have looked in a few times on Cwm Bach it is a lovely piece of modelling, one I hope I can aspire to getting the atmosphere oozing like your layout.

Best regards & happy modelling

Craig.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Craig. My only advice is that (unless you're a millionaire) it's important to stay focused. There's an awful lot of very tempting stuff out there.

I think thats where I went wrong! And no I am not a millionaire!

Paul R

Edited by pwr

Hello, More a steam man myself but also new to O gauge. Trying to avoid buying things until I have the railway room finished. So as to avoid distraction. It's a whole new world! I sold all my 2mm stuff 5 years ago when my daughter was born & the railway room turned into a nursery. Solved that buy doing up a bigger house! After building etched brass wagons in 2mm. Can't wait to start again in something more substantial. Wish I had 37'. But have to make do with 13'.... All the best!

You can make a small fortune very easily and quickly in 0 gauge; you simply start with a large fortune.

I agree Chris, I can devalue a £400 model to £150 in about 10 minutes.  :butcher:

Happy modelling

Craig.

• Like 1

As I have said many times before, being in the trade of model-railways aint selling bread or coffins, yet the likes of Peco, Hattons, Guagemaster and one or two others, have made a good living out of it, so it's not impossible.

I agree. From my experience, it is simply a matter of producing good quality products that people want to buy at a fair price. This is Ixion's formula and since we started the company during the depth of the global financial crisis we must be doing something right.

• Like 1

I agree. From my experience, it is simply a matter of producing good quality products that people want to buy at a fair price. This is Ixion's formula and since we started the company during the depth of the global financial crisis we must be doing something right.

Yes Chris, spot on I would say, it's a shame that, in other walks of life, many companies have not adopted the same policy as I believe, if they had, then we would all be jogging along and feeling happier for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, well tonight I finally cracked, my self discipline of not playing with anything till I have disposed of the 4mm stock went out of the window tonight ..... over a week and a half I go I met up with a bloke off this forum at the Lymm services on the M6, this was to collect a fine model bought with some of the funds from my 4mm sell off.

Anyway I hooked up the Prodigy to a length of track and gave the sound decoder a quick test ....................... Whoooaaah, what a beast, I love it to bits.

Many thanks to Rod "Mr West Kirby Town" for the deal, and what a pleasurable hour or so we had chatting.

Happy modelling

Craig.

post-8721-0-84991400-1421350361.jpg

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 15

Hi Paul, I just put the baby back to bed !!! It was tough but I really must resist, to many things to sort out at the moment without getting distracted, I have a spare XL sound chip with 31 sounds on it, but I think I will send it for a reblow for the 37 on my first post of this thread.

I am sat here with 40 odd mph winds which are gusting up to higher speeds all round the house, but I am already fast forwarding a couple of years being sat in the garden on a nice warm evening supping beer out of a chilled glass watching & listening to this Ped going past on a rake of scruffy parcels.

I really think this 7mm lark is for me you know !!!  :sungum:  :locomotive:

Happy modelling

Craig.

• Like 6

Hi Paul, I just put the baby back to bed !!! It was tough but I really must resist, to many things to sort out at the moment without getting distracted, I have a spare XL sound chip with 31 sounds on it, but I think I will send it for a reblow for the 37 on my first post of this thread.

I am sat here with 40 odd mph winds which are gusting up to higher speeds all round the house, but I am already fast forwarding a couple of years being sat in the garden on a nice warm evening supping beer out of a chilled glass watching & listening to this Ped going past on a rake of scruffy parcels.

I really think this 7mm lark is for me you know !!!  :sungum:  :locomotive:

Happy modelling

Craig.

You won't regret it. I got in via the purchase of a class 50 and never looked back.

Paul R

Hello, well tonight I finally cracked, my self discipline of not playing with anything till I have disposed of the 4mm stock went out of the window tonight ..... over a week and a half I go I met up with a bloke off this forum at the Lymm services on the M6, this was to collect a fine model bought with some of the funds from my 4mm sell off.

Anyway I hooked up the Prodigy to a length of track and gave the sound decoder a quick test ....................... Whoooaaah, what a beast, I love it to bits.

Many thanks to Rod "Mr West Kirby Town" for the deal, and what a pleasurable hour or so we had chatting.

Happy modelling

Craig.

Glad you're happy with it, Craig, and I agree, it was a pleasure chatting over teas and coffees.

Rod

You won't regret it. I got in via the purchase of a class 50 and never looked back.

Paul R

That makes 2 of us then!,5 years ago I bought a JLTRT class 50 and a set of wheels to build as a 1 off static model in o gauge, 4 and a half years later I haven't touched 4mm since, the o gauge bug bit me hard!

Rob

That makes 2 of us then!,5 years ago I bought a JLTRT class 50 and a set of wheels to build as a 1 off static model in o gauge, 4 and a half years later I haven't touched 4mm since, the o gauge bug bit me hard!

Rob

That's it -bought for a showcase! Then I found a second hand Westdale 122 DMU for £20 and haven't looked back . Mind you the 122 is still not finished! I did get a motor for it and window surrounds which I fitted but it's still on the work in progress shelf!

Paul R

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay seen as I have not contributed to my thread for a bit I thought I would update where my dithering is up to "for those of you who are remotely interested that is  :drag: ".

Having spent the last couple of months flogging off my copious amounts of 4mm stock that I have amassed over the years, I think I have now reached about the 1/2 way point of getting rid  :scratchhead:.

I did promise myself to be disciplined about starting any 7mm stuff till I am near the end of my 4mm stock cull, and I am still sticking by that ethos, I have bought a few 7mm items, and I do have a couple more on my shopping list "funds permitting".

As it stands I have been pondering which region to loosely base the 7mm project on, and I say loosely as I do not intend to be anywhere near as obsessive as I was with my 4mm project, I want this 7mm layout to have a "near enough feel and a fun purpose" with out being too strict on the modelling criteria, I was toying with the idea of LMR, then South Wales valleys, I had a nice little chat with Martin Wales last week and he proposed the Wrexham / Borders area which is a nice mix of old GWR / LNWR / LMR in it's history and traffic type.

But after looking at the map for a bit I think I am veering towards the Craven Arms arms area, this will fit in nice with my proposed plan of a secondary main line through station "on the English side" which will have 2 through lines and also have a 2 bay platform, this will give me the excuse to serve my other part of the layout which will be an island platform BLT "on the Welsh side" served by a single line, giving me the reason to run DMUs and Bubble cars to the BLT from the bay platforms of the main station.

Any input from you Gents & Ladies would be most welcome, I will try and get a rough track plan up on here tonight

Happy Modelling

Craig.

edited because iphones are a damned nuisance with predictive texting, especially when I am not wearing my specs  :blind:

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 2

Sounds a great idea.

I think the main criteria is to have fun even if strict prototypical practice is sometimes sacrificed. I do like the BLT idea with the bog carts. Isn't it funny how you go back to what you knew as a teenager!  My layout is set strictly in the late 1950's a period I cannot remember  but I hark back to the late 60's early 70's BR blue period becausde this is what I remember most from travelling each day to school. I have vivid memories of getting off the train at Colchester to see the up Parkeston Quay express hammer through the station more or less every day. I remember it had two Met Cam SO Pullmans painted in Blue and Grey and operating as FO's.

So the message to Shaun at EasyBuild is start on with this as a new project as I would rather like some Met cam Pullmans!

Paul R