Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

That's about right for the # of screws- I was told 36 screws per sheet of 4x8 ft, so that sounds right on.  I have one of these: 

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/11-ft-drywall-hoist/A-p8415754e

which works a charm for lifting and lowering the drywall to cut it and put it in the right place.  I use a milk crate to stand on, I'm 6'0", so need about 18" lift off the floor to make it more comfortable to get the screws in.  I think I used 1 5/8" screws for most of the drywall.  (I bought a box of 5000, and still have about 1/2 of them left).  Before you lot start into me, I did 900 sq ft in my addition and then about another 500 sq ft inside the main house over the last couple years, so buying tools to do it easily made sense.

(you are welcome to borrow the lift Jeff, but the postage may be excessive...I think Shaun is the only one I could get it to for a reasonable amount of time...)

James

My figure of 35 seemed about right, given the sensible placement of screws to provide an even loading. But that's just me playing the physicist, I suspect. Glad to hear there's some practical "rule of thumb" out there!

I've seen boxes of 500 screws, but 5000? Wow?!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've managed another 4 hours in the bunker today. More insulation....

I need to order the next batch of 4 x 2 and ply as I'm getting a bit bored with cutting up insulation board!! 

Sorry there's no pics - nothing really new or photogenic to show.

Jeff

• Like 2

Hi Jeff,

If there is a tool out there which makes the job easier 'I WILL GET IT' = time is money or in your case modelling time! I bought a Makita "Collated Screw Gun" made just for the type of work you are doing, I would happily send it to you BUT I would like to remain friendly----its a piece of cr*p, its always jambing just when you have a board balanced in position so its lying in a corner and will probably stay there!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

If there is a tool out there which makes the job easier 'I WILL GET IT' = time is money or in your case modelling time! I bought a Makita "Collated Screw Gun" made just for the type of work you are doing, I would happily send it to you BUT I would like to remain friendly----its a piece of cr*p, its always jambing just when you have a board balanced in position so its lying in a corner and will probably stay there!

Thanks Mike, the gesture is appreciated!

I've been cutting and fitting some more cross-joists (for ply support) and, of course, more insulation board. About 60% of the ceiling is now insulated and I'm hoping to get 2 more sheets of ply up tomorrow - when new stocks arrive. I'm used to heavy shovelling etc, but my arm aches from all the screwing!  :angel:  :angel:

Jeff

Morning Jeff,

I've got so much stored in the loft of my garage that I have had to add support so no need for panelling now!

One of the best and longest lasting of my DIY aids is a rechargeable Bosch drill/screwdriver which has been utterly reliable (when I remember to charge the battery and the spare!). My grandson, whilst helping with the replacement fence panels last year, was most impressed with it and he does carpentry for a living! I assume you use a similar device for that number of screws?

I fully sympathise with you on the subject of arm ache as my muscles have all but disappeared due to my condition and fitting and painting coving last week did really wear me out.

You are getting tantalisingly close to the 'interesting' wood work and I can't wait to glean tips on baseboards, having seen your work so far - most impressive!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jock.

I'm a lot closer to the "interesting" bit than I was 20 days ago, when I started the insulation process. But still a long way when I look at the jobs to be done and the amount of stuff that's still in the bunker. I'm working in "zones", shifting piles of boxes from place to place as I go. It'll be ok once they can be hidden under the boards, but does make things awkward at the moment.

More ceiling work this week, at Jason's at the weekend, second door frame early next week, is my schedule.

And I've provisionally planned the main L-girder arrangement. But more of that at a relevant time!

Jeff

• Like 3

Morning Jeff, Now last Saturday young Jason, Mike and myself were chatting and I suggested that these BARRIERS might be ideal for you to create the L Girders from, :O what do you think? :no:  :no:  NO? well you could always laminate 3 or even 4 together, :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  hahhahhhahaaaeeeee. :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand:  

post-9335-0-20924600-1422953793_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Andy, I can see where you're coming from. But the barriers are a bit on the small side for what I need....

.... I suppose I could laminate a few together. Umm, that might do...  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I think Jason has plans to get you to insulate that mill he's building :jester:

Mick, I think that by the end of this week the sight of another piece of insulation board is going to make me scream!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Never mind. A bag full of Parkside goodies awaits you on arrival :)

Yes, I'm really looking forward to it. I'm thankful that the spend required on building the layout may act as a deterrent to wagon-kit building!!

Jeff

Yes, I'm really looking forward to it. I'm thankful that the spend required on building the layout may act as a deterrent to wagon-kit building!!

Jeff

So........................................................... Next week we'll see sticky fingers, Met Pak, Blood from the Stanley Knife and a lot of expletives instead of the steady application of Ply over insulation. :O

Looking forward to it, hahhahhahheee :scratchhead:  :sungum:  :sungum:  

• RMweb Premium

So........................................................... Next week we'll see sticky fingers, Met Pak, Blood from the Stanley Knife and a lot of expletives instead of the steady application of Ply over insulation. :O

Looking forward to it, hahhahhahheee :scratchhead:  :sungum:  :sungum:  

You could well be right there, Andy. However, the sooner I get the shell of the bunker sorted, the sooner I can..... have a rest - then get back to the garden!  :sungum:  :sungum:

Jeff

• Like 4

Andy, I can see where you're coming from. But the barriers are a bit on the small side for what I need....

.... I suppose I could laminate a few together. Umm, that might do...  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

Jeff

Jeff..................I do worry about you!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mike .....I am now worrying about you having the time to worry about Jeff :dontknow:

Stop worrying about Mike worrying about me worrying about Mike.....

Next thing, it'll be bangers and mash - and the dreaded sausages.....

Anybody would think I over-engineered things. I mean, we ARE due to be hit by a Force 12 in 500 years time....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Ok, back to the task in hand. With my brother's help I've levered the 4th piece of ply into place and fitted half the screws. I think they'll hold it until (2515) tomorrow.

A couple of pics, simply to brighten the page. I think you all know what ply and insulation board look like by now!

post-13778-0-33486100-1422998612_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-10892400-1422998616_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 5

Ok, back to the task in hand. With my brother's help I've levered the 4th piece of ply into place and fitted half the screws. I think they'll hold it until (2515) tomorrow.

A couple of pics, simply to brighten the page. I think you all know what ply and insulation board look like by now!

attachicon.gifDSCF2167a.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF2168a.jpg

Jeff

:scratchhead:  :scratchhead: :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead: