Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

It'll soon be done, Jeff.

Last time I popped in it was all brick work now we're into insulation.

Hopefully, I'll not miss the baseboards going up.

Must pop in more often again.  I miss the chat on here as much as anything else.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Are you insulating the garage doors or building a stud wall across them, will you be adding extra sockets.

Mike.

Evening Mike.

I'll be building a stud wall across both garage doors. Each door will have its own section. The walls will contain 125mm of insulation and have a 9mm ply facing on both sides. One of the walls will be removable, if needed.

I'll probably be building the fixed wall around about the coming weekend, provided I re-stock with materials.

As for sockets.... The present garage has one double socket. I think at least 4 double sockets will be needed.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It'll soon be done, Jeff.

Last time I popped in it was all brick work now we're into insulation.

Hopefully, I'll not miss the baseboards going up.

Must pop in more often again.  I miss the chat on here as much as anything else.

Nice to see you back on KL "territory", Polly. Hopefully the coming months will provide you with something to interest you!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Agree because the garage doors are a big heat loss or gain depending on the time of the year. I see the existing twin socket has only one cable feeding it will you be forming the existing and new sockets in to a ring circuit.

Mike

That's what I'll do. I'll wire all the sockets myself, but I'm not going for "beauty" this time - everything will be surface mounted rather than set into the walls (it's simpler!) I'll get a qualified electrician to do the final connections and there may be a need for additional circuitry on the RCD. I'll worry about that in a few weeks!

As for the doors, yes - a nightmare for heat loss. If you look at one of the first posts on the KL thread you'll see that I even built an interior wall (using surplus stonework) to reduce draughts - even though I then put a substantial stud wall in as well. Yes, I'm paranoid! The old bunker was quite comfy by the time I'd finished, though!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Evening Mike.

I'll be building a stud wall across both garage doors. Each door will have its own section. The walls will contain 125mm of insulation and have a 9mm ply facing on both sides. One of the walls will be removable, if needed.

I'll probably be building the fixed wall around about the coming weekend, provided I re-stock with materials.

As for sockets.... The present garage has one double socket. I think at least 4 double sockets will be needed.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Like your description of removable panels for the garage doors - perhaps I should have done that - mine is permanent and lined both sides by 1/2" chipboard. The bottom half has 200mm Celotex and the top 100mm.  The garage division is also 100mm Celotex plus chipboard both sides. Like yours it has made my half of the garage relatively cosy and the other half which butts to the house never gets cold.  It just so happens that the solar panel converter is in my part of the garage and this provides a source of low-level heat.  At the time budget-wise chipboard was cheaper than ply and has been effective.  I did seal the bottom of the garage door with a mastic to stop water entry.

Socket-wise spread a few more around and definitely in a ring ... if not at some point in time you will find that the nearest one is just too far away from where you wanted it  - at least that is what I found.

Keep up the good work, Peter BB

Edited by PeterBB

Evening Mike.

Jeff

Evening Jeff. From experience, take the number of sockets that you think you want and double it. It's amazing how quickly they become used especially with things like kettles etc

• RMweb Premium

Morning Peter.

I've just been outside to put the heater on in the bunker and stood for a while "admiring" the work that's still to be done. I'll certainly put some kind of sealant under the doors. One will be permanently locked and out of use, as the frame adjacent to it will be locked in place. I think the second one will, for practical purposes, never open again. But contingencies are a good idea and I thought it'd be easier to design something in now, rather than retrospectively.

I must order the next batch of materials today as there'll be a 2 day hiatus when I run out of stuff this afternoon!

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jeff. From experience, take the number of sockets that you think you want and double it. It's amazing how quickly they become used especially with things like kettles etc

Kettles? The only kettles in the bunker will be those running round on the track. Hell fire, if I have a kettle in there it'll encourage people like Andy and Jason to visit!  :O  :jester:

Yes, you're right. With a fridge, microwave and other gear in there I plan to give the bunker the potential for self-sustenance. I could even sleep in there. Talk about dedication to the "cause"!!  :O  :O  :O  :O

Jeff

• Like 3

Morning Jeff, I had a triple socket by the work bench and two doubles down one side. O have since added a 5 way extension to the one over the work bench, and further extensions around the other side of the room as I tripped over the soldering iron that was on an extension lead across the floor. 

This time of year the heater also takes up a power point.

I've just been out and switched my Night Heater back on for half an hour before I go out again.

Have a good day.

• Like 1

You could stagger out of the bunker in 3 months time looking like tom hanks in cast away ,your brother says "where you been "all you reply is "it's finished " :)

Brian

• RMweb Gold

If the garage is fed from the house I suspect it is only a 16 or 20A supply so there is little point in putting a ring circuit in. A simple 20a radial circuit will do. Saves trying to continue the ring across the garage doors. Actually I would probably arrange two circuits one for this like a freezer which can be left on. Another for railway stuff with a 20a switch so the whole lot can be switched off simply. Avoids leaving soldering irons, point motors etc. under power.

Looking good Jeff.

Don

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see you back on KL "territory", Polly. Hopefully the coming months will provide you with something to interest you!!

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff though it's more to do with my running out of steam than lack of interest.

Keeping up on RMweb anywhere - even my own thread - is a challenge.

[i keep saying I shouldn't follow so many threads...but they're, mostly, so good...]

I have to admire people like yourself who are a whole lot more consistent than I am.

But there we are.  So you just keep posting and I'll just keep popping in when I can.

• Like 2

Morning Jeff,

I've split my garage wiring (years ago!) into two as Don suggests, although this was to have one circuit for fridge/freezer, tumble dryer etc. and garage/garden lighting. The other is for power tools and to feed the garden waterproof sockets as well as a small fountain. I have a separate two switch/4 fuse consumer unit in the garage so I can 'kill' the power circuit as I leave. The unit is in turn fed from one of the trips in the consumer unit in the house. It is useful to know that you haven't left on a soldering iron or the like as a potential hazard. As Andy mentioned, it didn't take me long to require extension leads although I tend to tack mine out of the way - years of writing H&S manuals!

I agree with Polly, as I now 'follow too many threads and it is impossible to give enough time to them all (especially keeping up on 'Bitton' or 'Dent Station'!). I really must get a routine list and split them in to favourite favourites/just favourites?

It really is coming on well Jeff and that is proof, if needed, of the value of careful planning. Most impressive and better insulated than lots of homes.

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well, they say there's no rest for the wicked....

I thought I might get a day off bunker work as I needed to re-supply. Rang Jewson at 7.30 this morning: "when would you like the stuff delivered, sir? How about this afternoon?"

Splendid stuff. A quick tidy up to create a bit of space and I'm ready for more!

Jeff

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

You could stagger out of the bunker in 3 months time looking like tom hanks in cast away ,your brother says "where you been "all you reply is "it's finished " :)

Brian

I think I already look scruffy enough to be a castaway!

I haven't dared to look in the mirror for a couple of days. "Timber drilling syndrome (TDS)" can be very bad for the health, you know.

Jeff

I have a separate two switch/4 fuse consumer unit in the garage so I can 'kill' the power circuit as I leave. 

Good advice Jock. Iain Rice, when he was a fireman in a rural area, had a big off switch that he could hit when his beeper went off to summon him to the fire station.

• Like 1

If the garage is fed from the house I suspect it is only a 16 or 20A supply so there is little point in putting a ring circuit in. A simple 20a radial circuit will do. Saves trying to continue the ring across the garage doors. Actually I would probably arrange two circuits one for this like a freezer which can be left on. Another for railway stuff with a 20a switch so the whole lot can be switched off simply. Avoids leaving soldering irons, point motors etc. under power.

Looking good Jeff.

Don

That's what I've had done Don, one for the night heater and one for the REST of the power points, and also I've had a WARNING light fitted outside so that I can see from the House is I've left the main sockets on before going to bed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff,

I've split my garage wiring (years ago!) into two as Don suggests, although this was to have one circuit for fridge/freezer, tumble dryer etc. and garage/garden lighting. The other is for power tools and to feed the garden waterproof sockets as well as a small fountain. I have a separate two switch/4 fuse consumer unit in the garage so I can 'kill' the power circuit as I leave. The unit is in turn fed from one of the trips in the consumer unit in the house. It is useful to know that you haven't left on a soldering iron or the like as a potential hazard. As Andy mentioned, it didn't take me long to require extension leads although I tend to tack mine out of the way - years of writing H&S manuals!

I agree with Polly, as I now 'follow too many threads and it is impossible to give enough time to them all (especially keeping up on 'Bitton' or 'Dent Station'!). I really must get a routine list and split them in to favourite favourites/just favourites?

It really is coming on well Jeff and that is proof, if needed, of the value of careful planning. Most impressive and better insulated than lots of homes.

Kind regards,

Jock.

Tried that, Jock. Didn't work. "Just favourites" had a habit of becoming "favourite favourites" by the click of a button so the list became longer and longer  :jester: though KL1&2 have always been in the latter.  Of course, you might be less impulsive, changeable or malleable than me. :D

Time seems to be the difficult one.  How I ever managed when I went to work.... :O

No doubt I'll get all the discussion on shed wiring when ours goes up later this year.  At least with what's on here I'll be prepared. :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Gold

Andy and Jock have expressed the right ideas on electricity. How many can say they have never left a soldering iron on and gone out , gone to bed or sat eating/watching tele having forgotten it.

My father who was by nature a cautious man got a rather large electric bill and could not believe they had used that much. He complained to the electricity board who eventually agreed to send someone round. The chap explained he had tested the meter and it was fine something must have been left on. Switching all the appliances off it was still showing a current draw. It was discovered that in the cold winter he had put a small heater on in the loft to stop the tank and pipes freezing up and then forgot it.  This was four months later. A red faced father promised to pay up! He was also apalled at the fire risk it could have caused not to mention the money wasted.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Sounds a bit like the story of the couple who moved into an old house, and got a large electricity bill. They turned everything off and still the meter went round, so they called the electric board out. They turned up just after 5 pm in winter. The elecy man was puzzelled and decided to pull the main fuse to see if the meter stopped then. It did, but strangely outside went dark too. It transpired that the street lights were wired via their meter!

I like the idea of the tell tale lamp outside, its a via good idea.

Andy G

• Like 2