Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, I tried Digital Point operation when I was building Bitton and with just 11 Points it drove me mad. Switches is the best way, I did enjoy the Peco lever frame I used on Pencarne and will do the same on Beale St

Everyone has their own preference, but flicking a switch on a mimic board appeals to me. I'm certainly not a Luddite, but it's nice to see a physical bank of switches in front of you!

Evening guys,

As Jeff said, each to their own, but just remember that even DCC operated points can be controlled through switches and it dramatically cuts the wiring down. Just a thought for you.

I'm using Megapoints controllers for my servos, but previously the Tortoise ones were DCC operated using three switches on a panel, which also gave the option to work them from a DCC controller as well if I wanted.

Just a thought!

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening guys,

As Jeff said, each to their own, but just remember that even DCC operated points can be controlled through switches and it dramatically cuts the wiring down. Just a thought for you.

I'm using Megapoints controllers for my servos, but previously the Tortoise ones were DCC operated using three switches on a panel, which also gave the option to work them from a DCC controller as well if I wanted.

Just a thought!

Rich

Yes, good point Rich (no pun intended)....

I guess I've subconsciously stuck with a system I'm familiar with. Maybe I'll get round to fitting point decoders one day.....after all the other gazillion jobs on this layout get done!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Oh couldn't agree more - always loads to do!  All about priorities and if DC point control works for you, then go for it!

Anhydrite hoppers...

I remember seeing pictures about the Anhydrite trains to Long Meg(?) I think ... if you don't mind me hijacking to ask a related question ... where did these trains go to/come from, and what is Anhydrite?

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Oh couldn't agree more - always loads to do!  All about priorities and if DC point control works for you, then go for it!

I remember seeing pictures about the Anhydrite trains to Long Meg(?) I think ... if you don't mind me hijacking to ask a related question ... where did these trains go to/come from, and what is Anhydrite?

Rich

No problem, Rich. Certainly no hijack here - and the members of the S&C-related community - collectively known as "Lunesters" - are used to this sort of digression!

Anhydrite is Calcium Sulphate. It was mined near to, and shipped from Long Meg on the S&C, being sent - principally - to the sulphuric acid works at Widnes in Lancashire.

This was a nice little earner for the line and a commonly seen train, transiting north and south.

The problem is that there are no RTR versions of the wagons used to carry the anhydrite. Simon (Reorte) and Mike (Dent) have built wagons based on brass/white-metal kits. Not being a kit-builder of metal I'd say "what a feckin pain"!!

Hope that helps!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Anhydrite is Calcium Sulphate. It was mined near to, and shipped from Long Meg on the S&C, being sent - principally - to the sulphuric acid works at Widnes in Lancashire. This was a nice little earner for the line and a commonly seen train, transiting north and south.

The problem is that there are no RTR versions of the wagons used to carry the anhydrite. Simon (Reorte) and Mike (Dent) have built wagons based on brass/white-metal kits. Not being a kit-builder of metal I'd say "what a feckin pain"!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Ah! I've learnt something tonight! Thanks for the explanation, thats interesting.  Ironically after posting that question, I was looking through the latest Gauge O Guild magazine (I know your 4mm scale) and I see somebody has brought out a 7mm Anhydrite wagon in brass - if I can master brass kits at some point in the future, an additional train may have to run from the S&C to the east and appear on my model!!

Cheers

Rich

Hi Jeff,

Ah! I've learnt something tonight! Thanks for the explanation, thats interesting.  Ironically after posting that question, I was looking through the latest Gauge O Guild magazine (I know your 4mm scale) and I see somebody has brought out a 7mm Anhydrite wagon in brass - if I can master brass kits at some point in the future, an additional train may have to run from the S&C to the east and appear on my model!!

Cheers

Rich

The Anhydrite wagons are available as a semi kit from Judith Edge, as are Conflats for the CONDOR.  I have rakes of both to put together...

I'd hope that someone at some point would bring the Anhydrite wagons out as RTR.  Rapido quote 50 000 quid for a run of wagons- I don't have the money to put down in order to get them made.  

James

Edited by peach james
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I built the original platforms for KL2 back in April. The build is described around page 100 on this thread. I was quite pleased with the way things worked out.....

....BUT, the track arrangement and curve through the station was slightly different after relaying to EM. And, of course, CURVED platforms are very sensitive to this.

The originals have been scrapped.

I started to build replacements earlier this week. The basic idea is the same, and the distance of the platform faces has already been discussed - see page 130, post # 3233.

Here's the basic platform shells: a 4mm and 12mm ply "sandwich" (PVA filling!), cut to shape:

post-13778-0-92223700-1481293528_thumb.jpg

I decided to do the tops differently. Last time it was a 2mm ply top, this time I've used 80thou plastikard (2mm). This raises the top of the platforms to 12mm above rail top, which should be high enough (I'll add some 40thou on the bottom if needed).

I also decided to do the platform edges differently (see below) - so the 80thou goes to within 9mm of the platform edge:

post-13778-0-64515000-1481293780_thumb.jpg

Many years ago I'd have tried to build any structure to be as perfect as possible, and certainly no misalignments and weathering! But the real world isn't like that, is it? Last time I used plastikard and "scored" the card with a file to create grooves representing the stone slabs at the platform edge. Worked ok, but I decided to do it differently....

80thou marked out into 12mm x 12mm squares - each represents a 3' x 3' slab:

post-13778-0-77813800-1481293959_thumb.jpg

Squares cut out. 8 strips of 27 per strip, making 216 slabs. Took a little while!!:

post-13778-0-66344200-1481294011_thumb.jpg

The slabs stuck onto the edge of the platform using Evostik. The overlap is around 3mm and the slabs are a bit uneven in their "lie" - exactly the variation I wanted!

post-13778-0-21929300-1481294135_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-19320400-1481294140_thumb.jpg

When everything is set, I'll rub the end of the slabs down to tidy things up a little, but the slight variation in slab size, due to the cutting process, makes it look a bit more realistic than everything perfectly the same.

Still plenty to do. Bunker currently evacuated because of solvent fumes!

Jeff

• Like 14

Hi Jeff, I don't wish to the Penguin of Doom but a cautionary warning.

We used a Ply Laminate as you have done to form the Platforms on our Clubs Layout, but after about 3 years we noticed that in some areas the Ply's had started to de-laminate, despite using a hi quality, and highly recommended by a Carpenter PVA. The Club environment is very much the same as my Shed / your bunker where there is considerable temperature changes and moisture in the air at this time of year. I now use 18mm MDF well soaked in PVA and I'm told should never give any problems,. I used this on Pencarne and it seemed fine and so I will use it again on the next OO Project.

I hope more for your sake and sanity that you don't have the issues we had at the club, as you've done such a splendid job with them and it would be a great shame to lose them.

I obviously missed your first posting of your methods on Page 130 or I would have mentioned it back then.

All the best.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Andy, thanks for the info.

As you'd expect from someone who "reputedly" has shares in the nail and screw industry, the 4mm and 12mm sections aren't simply glued together. There are about a dozen 12mm screws joining each 60cm section of 4mm onto the 12mm, screwed in from below. This was partly to ensure a good, tight bond with the PVA and - hopefully - it might stop the lamination problem.

Jeff

• Like 1

Andy, thanks for the info.

As you'd expect from someone who "reputedly" has shares in the nail and screw industry, the 4mm and 12mm sections aren't simply glued together. There are about a dozen 12mm screws joining each 60cm section of 4mm onto the 12mm, screwed in from below. This was partly to ensure a good, tight bond with the PVA and - hopefully - it might stop the lamination problem.

Jeff

I'd forgotten about your Shares in SCREWFIX, hahhahah

Pretty much marathon-read this thread over the last couple of days.

Some very interesting and useful tips which I will most certainly keep in mind when I get around to starting track and scenic work on my new layout, and baseboard work on the next layout. Indeed I'm currently considering permanent L-Girder type open baseboards for the next layout, as a result of having read this!

Interesting to see the change to EM, but it certainly seems like you're already getting a bit more enjoyment out of having the extra realism. I certainly am with P4, and I haven't even built a proper layout yet, just a diorama!

The Fell is an amazing piece of workmanship, and is certainly a credit to your skills as a modeller. I for one would never have the patience to spend so much time building the walls! 

Will be keeping a close eye on this one! Not sure quite how I missed it for so long though!

All the best,

Peter

P.S. Apologies for the hundreds of ratings you will have recieved over the last couple of days!!!

**Edited for spelling**

**EDIT: Just about to start reading the original KL thread. To save you getting thousands more ratings I'll leave the ratings to this thread.**

Edited by 60012 Commonwealth of Australia
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter.

Glad you found some items of interest, especially having read through the whole thread! You're a glutton for punishment going back to KL. However, you may spot a lot of places where I've learned from my mistakes on KL and, hopefully, made KL2 a lot more useable and better designed.

I have another Peter from Melbourne as an occasional contributor (he's originally from the UK) - he has a long-running thread for his excellent "Llanbourne" layout. If blue diesels interest you, have a look.

Good to "have you aboard". You're very welcome to offer your thoughts and comments at any time!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

For the first time in a while, I didn't step inside the Bunker yesterday. 

Heading that way shortly - I need my fix of platform work and evo-stik. If I need any fresh air there's plenty around at the moment as the wind is a bit on the brisk side.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Cheers

Rich

For the first time in a while, I didn't step inside the Bunker yesterday. 

Heading that way shortly - I need my fix of platform work and evo-stik. If I need any fresh air there's plenty around at the moment as the wind is a bit on the brisk side.

Jeff

Anhydrite is calcium sulphate without any attached water which the more common mineral has, a neccessity in the sulphuric acid manufacturing process. The hydrated gypsum is used to make plasterboard [and plaster of course] and was also mined in the area in the form of "daisy bed" gypsum which had pretty pink crystals looking much like the flower.

• RMweb Premium

A few images from a short while ago. Still one curved platform section to cut to shape.

Nearly 200 "3' x 3'" slabs have been applied to the platform edging and trimmed to give a 2-3mm overhang. The tops still need rubbing down with very fine emery paper and will then be ready to receive a grey primer coat of paint.

Needless to say, the faces of the platforms will need covering - using Slaters 4mm random stone and painted.

post-13778-0-74166500-1481485694_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-35426000-1481485698_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-27122900-1481485702_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-32045000-1481485706_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-11914700-1481485710_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Looking amazing now after all your hard work mate well done. Very glad to see you have purchased that wonderful Class 24...... they are good aren't they .... how many are you going to purchase  :scratchhead:

OK Martin, I'll come clean....

I've got 2 24s - and from my chats with Phil Sutton I suspect I'll be acquiring a few other items..... a 25? a 40? a Peak!! Hope so!

post-13778-0-25866500-1481489371_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-64054000-1481489375_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 10

Nice one / two Jeff  you are a dark horse aren't you .... they are addictive aren't they should come with a 'wealth' warning in my humble opinion ........I think a class 25 is a good bet and a class 40 would be wonderful .... whatever comes next I don't think I can say no I'm afraid  :senile:  :senile:

If I get a down day a quick movement and a bit of shunting with my Class 24 makes me smile again .....such a SB I'm afraid  :jester:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Nice one / two Jeff  you are a dark horse aren't you .... they are addictive aren't they should come with a 'wealth' warning in my humble opinion ........I think a class 25 is a good bet and a class 40 would be wonderful .... whatever comes next I don't think I can say no I'm afraid  :senile:  :senile:

If I get a down day a quick movement and a bit of shunting with my Class 24 makes me smile again .....such a SB I'm afraid  :jester:

No Martin, you're not a SB! Just discerning!!

Must admit, every time I "start the engine up" I think it's chuckling at me. Makes me smile too.

It'll be interesting to see what comes next. A 25 would fit perfectly, but we'll see.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now that you have put some stock on the line it is so much in evidence that EM is by far better, gone is that narrow gauge look of 00 :boast:

You certainly know how to convince me that the last 5 weeks work has been worth it, Mick.

By far the biggest reason for changing to EM was the improved look of the wider track.

I've deliberately not discussed EM as some people seem to think it has some kind of "snob value" attached - which in my view is utter crap. However, best not to upset people.

I like the look and that's all that matters. Thanks for your supportive posts.

Jeff

• Like 8

You certainly know how to convince me that the last 5 weeks work has been worth it, Mick.

By far the biggest reason for changing to EM was the improved look of the wider track.

I've deliberately not discussed EM as some people seem to think it has some kind of "snob value" attached - which in my view is utter crap. However, best not to upset people.

I like the look and that's all that matters. Thanks for your supportive posts.

Jeff

Jeff it's your railway you can do what you want with it .I m a great admirer of people who do EM or P4 etc I could do the trackwork etc no problem but the regaugeing of locos would be my downfall...... well unless I were to have just class 24 locos only .

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff it's your railway you can do what you want with it .I m a great admirer of people who do EM or P4 etc I could do the trackwork etc no problem but the regaugeing of locos would be my downfall...... well unless I were to have just class 24 locos only .

And, of course, that's the situation that I'm in at the moment.

As KL2 is unlikely to be "finished" for quite a while the decision to re-gauge at this stage was an easy one as I want the whole thing to look as good as I'm capable of making it. Even if no locos actually ran, the trackwork in the landscape looks better and the change has brought other benefits:

The track is better laid.

The plan is closer to prototype.

The flow of the track, with slight curvature, looks much better.

Re-gauging is something I'll learn to do and there's no hurry. In the short term it looks like diesels (green, of course!!) rule the roost!

Jeff

• Like 2