Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

I've deliberately not discussed EM as some people seem to think it has some kind of "snob value" attached - which in my view is utter crap. However, best not to upset people.

I certainly don't think you're a snob because of the EM decision... It's the stone by stone building of the walls that makes me think that!  :jester:

I really like the way it looks. I'm even liking the look of those diesels. Though I'm eagerly awaiting some re-gauging of steam stock as I personally think that your viaduct and fell look so much better when they are graced by something producing huge clouds as it powers up the gradients!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I certainly don't think you're a snob because of the EM decision... It's the stone by stone building of the walls that makes me think that!  :jester:

I really like the way it looks. I'm even liking the look of those diesels. Though I'm eagerly awaiting some re-gauging of steam stock as I personally think that your viaduct and fell look so much better when they are graced by something producing huge clouds as it powers up the gradients!

Kind regards, Neil

Never mind the walls, wait until you see how I'm planning to build the goods shed in 2017!

As for steam locos, well I hope there'll be something re-gauged in the future. I'd like at least one 9F and Black 5 available for "play". At the moment, it's all new to me, so until Uncle Jason comes up to get me started then I'll be entirely reliant on "RTR" - and the SLWs aren't a bad start.

As I said in my last post, I'm chuffed with the result of the track changes as I think it looks a lot better than the previous effort.

Jeff

• Like 7

Never mind the walls, wait until you see how I'm planning to build the goods shed in 2017!

As for steam locos, well I hope there'll be something re-gauged in the future. I'd like at least one 9F and Black 5 available for "play". At the moment, it's all new to me, so until Uncle Jason comes up to get me started then I'll be entirely reliant on "RTR" - and the SLWs aren't a bad start.

As I said in my last post, I'm chuffed with the result of the track changes as I think it looks a lot better than the previous effort.

Jeff

Will be interested to see how you make your brick moulds Jeff ;-)

Scott

Edited by Scott B

I wish you all the luck in the world Jeff The rolling stock wheels should hopefully re-gauge fairly easily though you might well have sore fingers after a few racks of coaches  :jester:

The real challenge is going to be the steam locos I presume, its removing all the valve gear etc that would put me off. 

In the meantime you have the biggest ever static model ...maybe you should get some grass on that newly laid track as if the line did close  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If you plan far enough ahead ultrascale do a range of drop in wheelsets to suit some rtr locos, other suppliers are available...

Thanks Mick.

Sorry, missed your post as it was at the foot of the page.

Jason has a set of Ultrascale wheels for a class 25 on order and I'll be buying these to go on one of my fleet (he now has other plans for his 25 - and NO he's not converting it into a Black 5!!)

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Will be interested to see how you make your brick moulds Jeff ;-)

Scott

Yes Scott, I need to make some estimates of the stone blocks used in typical S&C sheds. Then build the jig and it's away with the DAS again.

But that's for next year - though I'm looking forward to it. Walling in a different context.... :-)

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I wish you all the luck in the world Jeff The rolling stock wheels should hopefully re-gauge fairly easily though you might well have sore fingers after a few racks of coaches  :jester:

The real challenge is going to be the steam locos I presume, its removing all the valve gear etc that would put me off. 

In the meantime you have the biggest ever static model ...maybe you should get some grass on that newly laid track as if the line did close  :jester:  :jester:

A challenge is always good for the soul, Martin.

And I'm blocking thoughts of steam locos. I'll do diesels and rolling stock but we'll have to see about the kettles.

As far as work on KL2 is concerned, all the basic platform sections have been built and I'm fettling their placement positions. Close enough to the loco to be realistic, but not too close - and curved platforms are tricky to position. The sandpaper has been making a few inroads into paving slabs on the curved sections tonight!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Aside from a cursory glance in the Bunker, nothing has been achieved today.

Too much Christmas related stuff, like putting up and decorating (four) Christmas trees and writing out the cards for posting before the Post Office strike, have taken up my time. Joyous joy!!

Still, plenty of time for planning ahead and scheming...

And too much of a good thing DOES dull the pleasure.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Four trees - my brother's idea of making the house look "Christmasy". It does look nice, but upwards of 400 flashing LEDs is a bit OTT at times!

Only have a compilation of Who music I'm afraid, though I think bro has Tommy (incl. Pinball Wizard) lurking somewhere.

No Christmas stuff in the bunker...

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I've given the platform tops a bit of a fine rub-down and, aside from 4-5 missing slabs, are ready for a grey base primer coating.

Some pics showing the situation and a little bit of class 24 play:

post-13778-0-25569200-1481819678_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-22292000-1481819682_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-21341200-1481819686_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-77741200-1481819691_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-45505900-1481819696_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-23213200-1481819700_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-85945300-1481819706_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 17

Yes Scott, I need to make some estimates of the stone blocks used in typical S&C sheds. Then build the jig and it's away with the DAS again.

But that's for next year - though I'm looking forward to it. Walling in a different context.... :-)

Jeff

Plans are in Rails in the Fells.  Look at photos to see if KS was stone or brick, because Rails in the Fells was not quite right as to what was used for what station !

8464279296_2731bc5645_c.jpg

James

Edited by peach james
  • Like 2

& thoughts about EMing a loco- what about getting a Jinty and starting with that?  It might then end up as a never used engine, but a 0-6-0 would be easiest to convert, and would produce something that is yours converted to EM.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67272-what-is-easiest-steam-loco-to-convert-to-em/

James

• RMweb Premium

Plans are in Rails in the Fells.  Look at photos to see if KS was stone or brick, because Rails in the Fells was not quite right as to what was used for what station !

James

Thanks James, they are indeed. And in Anderson & Fox "Structures and Stations..."

The problem is there is no specific plan for Kirkby Stephen. However, armed with the plans I do have and

lots of photos of the KS shed, I should be able to knock together something resembling KS.

And, of course, as we all know, KL2 isn't a carbon copy of KS so a degree of artistic licence will apply!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

& thoughts about EMing a loco- what about getting a Jinty and starting with that?  It might then end up as a never used engine, but a 0-6-0 would be easiest to convert, and would produce something that is yours converted to EM.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67272-what-is-easiest-steam-loco-to-convert-to-em/

James

A sensible suggestion.

I'll be focusing on diesels and rolling stock first. Good old Uncle Jason is loaning me an 8F, 3 Black 5s and some wagons to get things rolling in the short term.

I do enjoy fiddling and building things more than running trains, so things will gradually get done.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thanks James, they are indeed. And in Anderson & Fox "Structures and Stations..."

The problem is there is no specific plan for Kirkby Stephen. However, armed with the plans I do have and

lots of photos of the KS shed, I should be able to knock together something resembling KS.

And, of course, as we all know, KL2 isn't a carbon copy of KS so a degree of artistic licence will apply!!

I think that the plans were standard enough (just change the number of bays if needed), with the few non-standard bits pointed out, that it should be possible to accurately recreated KS goods shed if you want.

Incidentally do you have any photos of it from the non-rail side, I probably shouldn't go sneaking through fields... :)

• RMweb Premium

I think that the plans were standard enough (just change the number of bays if needed), with the few non-standard bits pointed out, that it should be possible to accurately recreated KS goods shed if you want.

Incidentally do you have any photos of it from the non-rail side, I probably shouldn't go sneaking through fields... :)

Interesting question....

Until today, I'd have said "no".

But there is the photo at bottom right of page 58 in "Rails in the Fells" (in both 1st and 2nd editions). It's not much, but it's a start.

Anyway, Simon, you'll probably have the "benefit" of my "effort" to go on before you start your definitive masterpiece!

Jeff

Interesting question....

Until today, I'd have said "no".

But there is the photo at bottom right of page 58 in "Rails in the Fells" (in both 1st and 2nd editions). It's not much, but it's a start.

Anyway, Simon, you'll probably have the "benefit" of my "effort" to go on before you start your definitive masterpiece!

Jeff

I have more photos.

I can rescan them if you want ?  (either one of you).  They are in B&W, not colour, and are of Long Marton.  I don't have the rail side of LM's goods shed, as it was clearly on the wrong side of the fence, and unlike the station where I was on the platform surface, it would clearly have been lineside- and I really couldn't have afforded to be arrested the week before I started military training on the other side of the ocean !

James

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have more photos.

I can rescan them if you want ?  (either one of you).  They are in B&W, not colour, and are of Long Marton.  I don't have the rail side of LM's goods shed, as it was clearly on the wrong side of the fence, and unlike the station where I was on the platform surface, it would clearly have been lineside- and I really couldn't have afforded to be arrested the week before I started military training on the other side of the ocean !

James

James, any resource is useful, even if it's not Kirkby Stephen. I've a pretty good idea of the configuration of the KS building and I'll sketch up some kind of "bricklaying plan" after Christmas. Not sure when I'll start on this, probably January.

The shed for KL2 doesn't have to be the same as KS, but I'll make it as close as I can manage. Simon can have any material I sketch/produce.

If you can scan any pics and PM them over, that'd be great.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks James.

Those photos will be very useful in estimating stone sizes and for the detail around the doorways.

I've never been up to Long Marton. It looks a charming, isolated place.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjz5W9AL

I think that all the images I have of the goods shed are in there now, Jeff.

They look useful, thanks for posting them. Rail-side shots I should be able to get some time for the price of a train ticket.

I took some photos of the station building a while ago, would they be of any use to anyone else?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon.

I've already got a stash of station building photos and plans, but someone else might find your pics useful.

Having studied a number of photos of S&C goods sheds, it's clear that the DAS brick approach isn't the way to proceed. DAS "bricks" have a rather flat face and there's too much texture in the shed stone - so it's back to the trusty old Slaters 7mm dressed stone I used for the viaduct, overbridge and underbridge. Makes sense, at least for consistency. And a bit easier to cut than making a couple of thousand DAS stone blocks!

Need to stock up on mounting board after Christmas. I prefer it to using a plastikard shell for the shed walls etc. Allows more precise cutting and very rigid.

Jeff