Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

Update: Modifications/additions below the wall are proceeding nicely, although I did discover how powerful one of my fan heaters is, when it rapidly deformed a plastic ********* while applying heat to speed the setting of PVA (********* cannot be named at present, to protect the innocent).

I may be able to get some pics on here tomorrow - depending on how much of the S&C I can cram into the boot of my car, and whether Mike sees me....

Jeff

About 40 years ago I did that with my Airfix B-29, Jeff!  

Curled the edges on a fuselage half, trying to speed up the drying of the windows I'd glued in, so I could never finish it.... I was devastated - it was my birthday present, and as one of the larger kits in the range, not inexpensive. 

:O  :O  :O

I can't comment on how well this captures the 'vibe' of the fells, given that I live on the other side of the world and it's a bit difficult for me to go and see for myself.

But having said that, if there are any discrepancies between the model and the real thing, someone needs to tweak reality to bring it up to scratch!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh come on Jeff, posting photos of the real thing and photoshopping bits of the bunker in the corners, that's not fair!  :nono:

That's bloody brilliant mate, just so believable.

Needs a few sheep and a rambler or two in the distance :D

Well done mate.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your very positive comments. I've enjoyed the last couple of days - slowed down by the speed of glue drying. And I won't be using the fan heater on full heat to speed up the process again!!

Neilgue - Neil, I assume (?) - here are 3 links to the kind of thing I use as an inspiration. Just beautiful, wonderful countryside....

http://www.visitcumbria.com/wp-content/gallery/arten-gill-viaduct/DSC_8477.JPG

https://folkestonejack.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/artengill_310710.jpg

http://www.mypennines.co.uk/images/dales/arten-gill-viaduct.JPG

Further detail will be added and the path, fence etc has to be extended to the overbridge near the cutting, so that's another 3' of "work".

It seems that I'm becoming quite skilled at finding things that allow me to avoid getting the point rodding done! 

Further Bunker Fell work - to the cutting - starts tomorrow.

Jeff

Jeff I need a fix ....................

how about it ............................

.....................................................a black 5 on fright. I only need the one old buddy old pal.

I'm off to a christening now that's why I need a fix lol.

Mark

Edited by mark axlecounter

Hi Jeff,

The latest pics deserve more than a push on the like button,

The grass stone walls and fencing look superb, this really will be a railway running through some lovely countryside.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff I need a fix ....................

how about it ............................

.....................................................a black 5 on fright. I only need the one old buddy old pal.

I'm off to a christening now that's why I need a fix lol.

Mark

Mark, if I had an EM Black 5 I'd be very happy to oblige....

.... and surely there'll be "celebrations" after the christening to make the effort worthwhile?

Update: I've deferred the concreting for today and made up enough DAS strips to manufacture around 2000 stones - or 60cm of walling. This should be ready for use around midnight, so I may be in the bunker in the wee hours.

Yes, I know I'm completely bonkers, but when the mood takes me - and I have a Plan!!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Here's a batch of pics. Some fine tuning is needed - gates need painting (and the "melted" one needs replacing), posts touched up, loose grass hovered off, additional grass added etc etc.

But this is the result of my last 2 days in the Bunker....

attachicon.gifIMG_4802crop.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4803.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4804.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4807.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4808.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4811.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4817.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4820.JPG

Jeff

That's top notch modelling Jeff. The melted gate looks like the wood has twisted with age and a few harsh winters have ravaged it. I don't think I would have noticed it if you had not mentioned it.

My Derbyshire stone walling is going to be hard act to follow this Summer/Autumn.

Keep up the tremendous work

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Is that a cunning plan, by any chance?

Always cunning Jonathan, and - like the last few day's work - one not to be revealed until it's come to fruition....

..... so VERY cunning as you won't know if what you see is what I initially intended!

Suffice to say, 2 hours of walling clocked-up today. Looks like a few long days if I'm to entertain you lot with pics by midweek!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Jeff, that really is quite fantastic and all on the side of the layout with no railway.

Following our Stafford Finescale Group show in July, you will have the loan of two (possibly three if I get it weathered in time) Black Fives and an 8F, all EM gauge. Oh, and an 08 too although I doubt they ever got that far up the line.

Class 24 and 25 too, come to think of it; the extent of my EM locos (non industrial ones / LNER C12's anyway) to date

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Jeff, that really is quite fantastic and all on the side of the layout with no railway.

Following our Stafford Finescale Group show in July, you will have the loan of two (possibly three if I get it weathered in time) Black Fives and an 8F, all EM gauge. Oh, and an 08 too although I doubt they ever got that far up the line.

Class 24 and 25 too, come to think of it; the extent of my EM locos (non industrial ones / LNER C12's anyway) to date

If you look in later this week you may find that I've done a bit of work "near" to the railway. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it, spending so much time on something which isn't "directly" to do with the railway - except to set the context.

Look forward to borrowing those locos. They'll certainly make for some nice photos and it'll give them a bit of exercise!

Jeff

The latest work is superb jeff!

It's certainly making me want to "up my game" with the ais gill layout im building!

Youve made it very realistic looking,i can predict a magazine feature coming in the future!

Cheers

Ben

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The latest work is superb jeff!

It's certainly making me want to "up my game" with the ais gill layout im building!

Youve made it very realistic looking,i can predict a magazine feature coming in the future!

Cheers

Ben

Evening Ben.

I'm hoping the next few days will produce a product that trumps the last lot. There's still some additions to be made to the existing scene, but nothing major.

I'm now happy with the way the Fell below the wall looks (I wasn't until I made the recent changes). I think being satisfied with your work is the best that anyone can ask for. I remember Jason posting - around last October - that if you have any doubts, you should modify things/try to improve on them. If you've done your best, no further effort is possible. So I'm pleased with the last week's work and delighted with the response on here.

As for magazine features. Maybe. If someone makes me an offer in the future.....

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Have a chat with Mr York when we are in Stafford. To be honest though, keep on like this and a certain Mr Karau from MRJ may come knocking on your door (although, and I'm not trying to be cheeky / big headed here, you'd probably need to borrow my rolling stock for an MRJ article).

Seriously though, this is heading in the right direction for MRJ, and that is as high a compliment as you will ever get :)

• RMweb Premium

Have a chat with Mr York when we are in Stafford. To be honest though, keep on like this and a certain Mr Karau from MRJ may come knocking on your door (although, and I'm not trying to be cheeky / big headed here, you'd probably need to borrow my rolling stock for an MRJ article).

Seriously though, this is heading in the right direction for MRJ, and that is as high a compliment as you will ever get :)

I really appreciate your comments Jason, and the compliment is a very high one indeed. Thanks very much.

I hope the ongoing work (it'll probably take another 3-4 days at the rate things are going) is viewed in the same light.

Jeff

• Like 1