LNER Models in 4mm

micklner

Perfect Mick. that is fantastic how it forms to the curve. Looks like it needs to be cut to about 2mm in width, would that be about right.

Finally Mick, am I right you need to cut out the first boiler band out to get the nameplate in place.

4489 is on my list to do! :)

Finally Mick, am I right you need to cut out the first boiler band out to get the nameplate in place.

Another way is to put a strip of Scotch tape the exact width and length of the engraved nameplate either side of the boiler band before spraying. It did this because most engraved plates are actually too thin for 4mm scale.

Perfect Mick. that is fantastic how it forms to the curve. Looks like it needs to be cut to about 2mm in width, would that be about right.

1mm wide it is controlled by the valance at the rear/bottom of the  Cab's width.

On mine I have removed the Boiler band section. Larrys suggestion (thanks) sounds much easier and I will try out myself in due course . However I do not understand what means by spraying ? I glue mine on !

Edited by micklner

A couple of old builds photgraphed for the K's thread

Y8

Not much of the original left. New chassis a cut down Mainly trains Terrier etch, Mashima motor and 108.1 High Level Box and much detail added. Still has K's wheels as couldnt fine anything else in 12mm diameter.

Doesnt like even Live frog points due to the tiny wheelbase.

post-7186-0-48923700-1385744518.jpg

post-7186-0-48678600-1385744528.jpg

C1

Still on original chassis and drivers . Gibson Bogie wheels, Non flanged wheel on truck, Mashima Motor and gearbox.

post-7186-0-63895800-1385744538.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Mick,

Like the Y7 and C1.  I have my DJH C1 in front of me now.  It was working very well on the layout one day and then not the next.  Have just sorted out the short with a wire touching a bare spot on the chassis.  It picks up on one side of the loco and the other side on the tender.  Not my prefered method, but I did not build it.  AN ebay purchase.  Mine is missing the builders plates, but will get some soon.

How did you set up the pick ups on the C1?  Is there a fall plate for the driver and fireman?  Must have been very drafty on the footplate.

I think I recall seeing a photo of a Y7 with a 2/3 plank wagon with coal in it a long while back.  Where I do not know.

Mark   

I think you are talking about the Y9 ex NBR which had a wagon attached for use as a Tender

http://www.lner.info/locos/Y/y9.shtml

How did you set up the pick ups on the C1?  Is there a fall plate for the driver and fireman?  Must have been very drafty on the footplate.

Mine has pick ups on the drivers only and still works ok , No fall plate not enough room. I think all pregrouping non Tank Loco crews were either madmen or very brave or both

• 1 month later...

A few A4's have been on hold waiting for parts . So far  I have completed

post-7186-0-67822900-1390238163.jpg

post-7186-0-41573800-1390238172.jpg

The Kylchap A4's sisters a easy conversion using  Mallard new names and numbers.

post-7186-0-02964800-1390238245.jpg

post-7186-0-90173200-1390238264.jpg

post-7186-0-81755000-1390238256.jpg

Golden Eagle with a Green sister Kingfisher. According to Mr Kohler Green A4's dont sell what a load of twaddle.

post-7186-0-89545500-1390238345.jpg

Guillemot

post-7186-0-55081600-1390238321.jpg

Silver King

All the A4's have been rebuilt from Ebay wrecks (various damage and missing parts) including the Chassis and Tenders. Big thanks to Graeme King for the Resin single chimneys, front buffer apron and oil drive pump fitted to some of above.

Last up a weathered LMS CCT as released by Hornby . I have replaced the overlong couplings with shorter ones nice vehicle.

post-7186-0-68853300-1390238467.jpg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 11

Looking good, Mick.  Did you weather the CCT or is that a Hornby job?  I see they're saying 'Bauxite' now - the first of those I built from Parkside, the instructions said maroon, but when I checked in Bob Essery's book he said bauxite.  I went with Bob - looks as if he was right.

Looking good, Mick.  Did you weather the CCT or is that a Hornby job?  I see they're saying 'Bauxite' now - the first of those I built from Parkside, the instructions said maroon, but when I checked in Bob Essery's book he said bauxite.  I went with Bob - looks as if he was right.

Its the normal LMS version with added muck by me.

Maroon is presumably  BR, Hornby have done theirs that colour.

LMS is a total mystery to me , it is a nice add on/variety to my parcels train.

A4s looking great (Hornby seriously need to do a green one) but shouldn't the cab roof on 4490 Empire of India be black to the edge like 4489? I may be wrong, but don't all A4s with beaded 1928 style corridor tenders have full black cab roofs?

Good point I will check

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

It's a long time since I did mine, but I think I took a bit more from the back of the valances, I fitted the cylinders right at the top of the spacer/mount, took as much as I dare from the top of the cylinders and raised the whole body with pieces of 30thou plasticard. (The white plastic is a 'slot' to replace the loose nut in the smokebox...)

post-7104-0-88696400-1390858659_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-98971400-1390858632_thumb.jpg