RMweb

Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

I made good progress with boxing in the lever frame today.

First, I cut and fitted the bottom cover.

post-21039-0-41341000-1541915456_thumb.jpg

This projects behind the frame as far as the main L-girder, preventing accidental contact with the switches and Eemecks in particular, but leaving plenty of space for the wires between the frame and the rest of the layout to emerge.

I also made up the front and top panels, which are permanently joined together, and left them clamped up in the Workmate for the glue to set overnight. I will be able to fit them before next Saturday's running session but I won't have the Line Clear release push-buttons installed by then.

I'm tempted to move the Shackleton to stop Barry O from pestering me every time he sees it...

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I made good progress with boxing in the lever frame today.

First, I cut and fitted the bottom cover.

attachicon.gif20181111 002 PM lever frame box bottom cover from below.JPG

This projects behind the frame as far as the main L-girder, preventing accidental contact with the switches and Eemecks in particular, but leaving plenty of space for the wires between the frame and the rest of the layout to emerge.

I also made up the front and top panels, which are permanently joined together, and left them clamped up in the Workmate for the glue to set overnight. I will be able to fit them before next Saturday's running session but I won't have the Line Clear release push-buttons installed by then.

I'm tempted to move the Shackleton to stop Barry O from pestering me every time he sees it...

I see it is the RAAF version as it is upside down........................gone already

Mr.Drake

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I see it is the RAAF version as it is upside down........................gone already

Mr.Drake

Since the kit is down under, it is in fact right way up for the RAD LOL

How odd. The box is indeed the right (wrong) way up - it's just that the side that's visible in the earlier shot is printed the opposite way up to all the others!

post-21039-0-78693200-1542012519_thumb.jpg

post-21039-0-03505000-1542012553_thumb.jpg

Very strange...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I fitted the combined top and front panels tonight.

post-21039-0-47407500-1542012798_thumb.jpg

The push-buttons will be mounted on the front panel, in line with their respective levers, so that the signalman can press the button with his thumb while he reverses the lever with his index finger.

Of course, the top panel has obscured the temporary lever numbers, so I'll have to add a strip of tape with the numbers marked on it before Saturday's session...

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I fitted the combined top and front panels tonight.

attachicon.gif20181112 001 PM lever frame box complete.JPG

The push-buttons will be mounted on the front panel, in line with their respective levers, so that the signalman can press the button with his thumb while he reverses the lever with his index finger.

Of course, the top panel has obscured the temporary lever numbers, so I'll have to add a strip of tape with the numbers marked on it before Saturday's session...

Some impressive work going on there. Very neat and professional looking.

• RMweb Gold

Are your operators not of an age where they learned their 6x tables by rote when young? ;-)

Being serious, looking really good even better.

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

How odd. The box is indeed the right (wrong) way up - it's just that the side that's visible in the earlier shot is printed the opposite way up to all the others!

Very strange...

It's from the days before computer based graphic design so the front and both long sides are done the 'same way up' when flattened.  The design has to be turned to do the short sides anyway so they can be done 'right' more easily.

That's my speculative opinion, so could be completely wrong. 

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif20181112 002 Shackleton box.JPG

attachicon.gif20181112 003 Shackleton box.JPG

Very strange...

Something to do with storage in the upright position?

P

• RMweb Premium

What a frustrating afternoon.

After hoovering the railway room I turned on the layout power at about 1300 and everything was fine. Locos moved under the control of the throttles and all the storage loop points responded correctly to the push buttons.

At 1315 everything stopped working. There was power to the track (from the PH Pro) but no command signals were getting through. There was power to the accessory bus (from the SB5, in dumb mode), but all the circuit breakers feeding the point decoders had tripped.

As the team arrived we tried some fault-finding, switching stuff off in turn to eliminate the problem. No luck. Even with the accessory bus completely disconnected, there were still no loco commands. After another off/on cycle, Peter the Cornishman suggested plugging in a tethered throttle direct to the PH Pro. Success! Trains moved, as they did when we reconnected the cab bus and radio unit, so we turned the accessory bus on again. All good!

We then got ourselves ready to start the sequence, powering up the throttles and switching on the train describer.

Guess what - everything stopped working again.

After a few more attempts to find the problem, including RTFM, we found that when we entered loco numbers on the throttles the wrong numbers appeared on the display. At this point we gave up, had an early tea and the boys left to do more productive things with what remained of the afternoon.

After tea I went out to tidy up the railway room. Of course, I tried the layout again. This time I disconnected the track power unit (the PH Pro) from the accessory booster (the SB5) completely, including the booster common, and switched on only the PH Pro. Guess what - the trains responded perfectly to the throttles and there were no more false numbers coming up on the displays.

I then reconnected the SB5 and switched it on. Guess what - all the points power was working and the correct points all responded to the push buttons.

Grrrrr! Don't you just love electronics?

At that point I gave up. I will certainly try again tomorrow and also drop a line to our local experts Gary and Marcus to see whether they have any insights. An intermittent fault in the PH Pro command station seems to be a possibility but I will see what they say.

Just so that I didn't feel that my day was wasted completely though, I drilled the holes for the Line Clear Release push buttons on the lever frame front panel and fitted the buttons. I will be able to wire them up very soon.

post-21039-0-96557400-1542435528_thumb.jpg

The buttons are in line with levers 6, 9 and 49. On the top panel you can just see the temporary numbers marked on a strip of white insulating tape.

The nameboard was made in Word, by creating a text box. Using the "GWR Station Signs" font from the gwr-elist Yahoo group, I added the words (white text, black fill) and made the nameboard as large as would fit on an A4 landscape page. I added four white circles at the corners then printed the whole page before cutting out the nameboard, leaving a white border all round. It's only fixed temporarily with Blu-Tak at the moment - in due course I think I will print it on a self-adhesive label sheet.

As I said, all rather frustrating and, if the PH Pro needs to be replaced, potentially expensive too.

• RMweb Gold

It's the back emf from the hoover, leaving residual anti-currents in the room, which dissipate inversely to the number of bodies in the immediate area.

Reminds me of a response to a Please Explain, handed in by a Slade Green guard. I think he’d been late on duty and tried to maintain the driver was having trouble making a brake “due to rogue electrons in the phoo-phoo valve”. I believe our host in this thread has a technical background that would lead him to discount this......

• RMweb Premium

Reminds me of a response to a Please Explain, handed in by a Slade Green guard. I think he’d been late on duty and tried to maintain the driver was having trouble making a brake “due to rogue electrons in the phoo-phoo valve”. I believe our host in this thread has a technical background that would lead him to discount this......

...which in turn reminds me of an entry in a loco repair book where the driver had written "Low Amps". The action taken was entered as "Amps topped up".

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Possibly, but the fact that hoovering was mentioned must be relevant to the subsequent problems ( unless Mrs St E reads this and brownie points were on offer).

No brownie points for hoovering the railway room I'm afraid. If I don't do it, it doesn't get done.

Interesting theory though. Perhaps I got too close and sucked all the phlogiston out. At least the smoke has stayed in (so far) so there is hope.

• RMweb Premium

You see, let a mechy play with electrically = bad karma. It behaved when I visited as it knew who is boss......er that'll be both our "her indoors"

Rule 1: your other half is always right.

Rule 2: if your other half is wrong, see Rule 1.