Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Chamby said:

A happy new year from the real Porthmellyn too!  My thanks for all the inspiring and regular content throughout the year, definitely one of the best quality threads on the forum.

If you feel that progress is slower than you would like, I would encourage you to start adding a bit of greenery on the layout... plant a tree in ‘23.  That stage was when my own layout started to come ‘alive’.  It’s one of those tasks that has much greater visual impact, compared to the amount of work required!

Thanks Phil. As others know, greenery is not my strong suit, which is why it tends to take a back seat. I think that buildings will be more likely and, perhaps, a backscene to frame the eventual vegetation. I might even do something about the secret scenic feature, which may or may not be green...

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

I think you’re too hard on yourself.  Lever frame at St Enodoc needs an A, so overall B+ minimum.

Paul.

I would agree entirely. When viewed against my own snail pace progress on just about everything, the Mid Cornwall layout is coming on in great leaps and bounds and represents over achievement rather than under! 

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, t-b-g said:

I would agree entirely. When viewed against my own snail pace progress on just about everything, the Mid Cornwall layout is coming on in great leaps and bounds and represents over achievement rather than under! 

Thanks Tony (and others). Perhaps my review seemed a little gloomy but that was only in the context of measuring achievement against aspiration. In actual fact I'm really pleased that things are progressing steadily, if not rapidly, and that I haven't had to go back and change anything significant as a result of some howler or other (so far...).

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

I can only claim a D for the schedule I think

What are you - an Engineer or a Project Manager? 😄

On 29/12/2022 at 06:50, St Enodoc said:

I'm not a good project manager

Oh, you’ve answered that already!

(the last two weeks of f@rt-@rsing around with the track layout didn't help either!).

I know the feeling, I’ve been faffing around with baseboard design for far too long now (I’m not a good PM either).

Happy New Year in about an hour and a half (at the time of posting).

Paul.

• Thanks 1

You’re being too hard on yourself. Your work rate and standards are enviable. Nampara is just 2m long and yet after 3 years ‘work’ still hasn’t got the track permanently in place (but hopefully that will change soon…).

Hapoy new year and I look forward to the mid Cornwall lines having a 2023 that is at least as inspiring to us lesser mortals as it has been in 2022.

Duncan

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good to see others rowing in with justified accolades for St E '22. 

As an M&E Engineer, the complexities of  signal interlocking were an unfamiliar discipline to you, but you managed marvellously. And the sweeping curves of the layout bear witness to your vision and planning skills. Those of us who plan layouts on the basis of throwing down some Peco points and seeing how long the run-round could be do have it easier than hand-laying track - with or without Templot! - but the result is rather less convincing, of course. 

As for the softer arts of scenery, as said a few trees here and there can make a surprising difference without compromising more grandiose effects at a later stage. Ditto the odd hedge etc. 

We are told Rome wasn't built in a day. Don't beat yourself up that you haven't quite hit the target on every front.

Happy New Year!

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, drduncan said:

Nampara is just 2m long and yet after 3 years ‘work’ still hasn’t got the track permanently in place

Serves you right for choosing track with three rails (two rails, two wires - the way nature intended...).

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks Tony (and others). Perhaps my review seemed a little gloomy but that was only in the context of measuring achievement against aspiration. In actual fact I'm really pleased that things are progressing steadily, if not rapidly, and that I haven't had to go back and change anything significant as a result of some howler or other (so far...).

I am not sure if it was Confucious (or some plonker on RMWeb) who said that it is better to have big dreams and struggle to achieve them than to have small dreams and achieve them easily.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

As someone who I know follows my Bath Queensquare thread you should be thrilled with your steady progress on this fantastic project, particularly when compared with my own glacial progress. 

May 2023 see all us take great strides with our respective projects.

Jerry

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't worry about glacial pace - I'll be finally putting track down on a 20 year plus project in the New Year!  I may even write something for TCH about it but given it's 2mm...

Hopefully 2023 is a better year than the last couple - in every respect.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Phil. As others know, greenery is not my strong suit, which is why it tends to take a back seat. I think that buildings will be more likely and, perhaps, a backscene to frame the eventual vegetation. I might even do something about the secret scenic feature, which may or may not be green...

It wasn't mine either but look at what I managed to do on Wentworth Junction - with help and tuition from Fred though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Sainty

Your end of year report looks quite impressive. I think @Barry O would agree you seemed to have had time to build that Shackleton as well.

Happy New Year.

Don't you start...

Same to you and yours.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

Hi John, I’m a bit late commenting on your year end report. Like others, I think you are being very hard on yourself. In a different hobby we have moaned about doing as much fell walking as we would like but consoled ourselves by thinkIng we had done a lot more than some of our friends. Similarly, you might not have progressed as far as you wanted but compared to us model bodgers you have achieved so much. Don’t forget it is only your hobby and you are the boss. If progress doesn’t match the project plan, change the plan to feel better.

Enjoy 2023

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

John - a slightly belated happy New Year to you and Veronica and at least I've actually managed to catch up after my recent absence from this topic.  Talk about grade whatever  the pace of preliminary works at Pentowan alone is much nearer an A than anything lower and the complexity of what you've had to resolve with all those curves is probably no more than smidgeon short of an A*.  I look forward to watching tje gradual emergence.

While somebody is clearly keen to ballast a Shackleton (🤨 - why else would he wish it completed?) during his forthcoming visit perhaps you'll have some track in place 'beyind Treloggan Jcn' to justify him coming halfway round the world and get him to ballast that instead?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, lofty.ian said:

If progress doesn’t match the project plan, change the plan to feel better.

Ah, now you've revealed that you are a good project manager.

Actually, in my experience, most projects have (at least) three plans - one for the client, one for the financiers and one that the delivery team works to. Any resemblance between these three plans is usually entirely coincidental.

Edited by St Enodoc
missing word
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8