RMweb

Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

It was great to visit yesterday John and Steve is still singing the praises of operating two DCC layouts as the highlight of our trip! But I'm sure he'll come back down to earth and remember he has a nice DC layout which featured in the last issue of The Clearing House.

Andrew

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2023 at 12:13, manna said:

G'Day Folks

I wonder, if ever, the SAR 400 class Garrett will ever run again.

manna

It would be great to see 402 running again Terry. I somehow doubt it though.

However, we probably thought we'd never see an ASG run again but the only survivor is well under way in its restoration at Queenscliff. So I guess who knows?

Andrew

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

'Bottom Points Signal Box' takes some beating as a down-to-earth railway location!

It's a perfect, unambiguous name - what more could you ask?

Rather like Engine Shed Junction near Kentish Town, I would say (but Junction Road Junction always confused me, like the paradox of the chicken and the egg).

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/10/2023 at 01:57, St Enodoc said:

Yesterday we all went to the Zig Zag Railway (https://zigzagrailway.com.au/), which reopened earlier this year. I was delighted that the prolonged closure and more rigorous accreditation requirements haven't robbed it of its unique atmosphere and appeal. I was also delighted to learn from a friend who happened to be manning the ticket desk that they've been almost fully booked every fortnightly running weekend since reopening.

20231007002No1Viaduct.JPG.6bb255197a895afdecc51ae143373081.JPG

No 1 Viaduct (on Top Road), seen from Middle Road

Like it.  Takes me back to a trip over the Gotthard way back in 1981, repeated one way more recently then back through the base tunnel.

Paul.

• Like 3

There has been quite a lot interest in the Australian standard Garratts in the last few months. An article in Australian Railway History in January 2023 gave  extensive coverage on them at their 80th anniversary.
Unfortunately I don't have the article but I do have the September 2023 Australian Railway History.

First there is an article about Queensland Railways during the Second World War and the Australian Standard Garratts and secondly In the same issue the "entire letters to the editor" is taken up with this subject. There are some photos of the standard Garratts on the Emu Bay line.I

f anyone is interested in the ASGs there are plenty of references in the September edition Australian Railway History for you follow up
As to the 300 and the 400 class Garratts in South Australia, a paper was presented in 2022 at the "Modelling the Railways of South Australia"convention.I don't think 402 will ever run again. I suspect that like a lot of volunteer organisations, there are not enough in Picci Ricci railway to enable them to restore her. Having said that, I believe the railway has a great program for teaching young locals about loco maintenance- you never know.

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

19 hours ago, Barry O said:

Nice loco that!

Agreed.  As a Victorian, I'm a bit jealous that NSW has that while none of our S-class survived.  Also hope that they can get our baby Garrett G42 back in steam - too good to sit around decorating a siding.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Morning John, 

Have a safe trip and whilst unlikely that an opportunity presents, it would be lovely to bump into each other. 

Rob. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Wish me luck, especially as I plan to do most of my internal travel by train...

Don't know what yer worried about. There'll be another one along in a minute ...

Looking forward to renewing an acquaintance first made in Singapore (oddly enough!) ...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Wish me luck, especially as I plan to do most of my internal travel by train...

Hi Sainty

I don't want to put a downer on your visit but when you come to play with Sheffield Exchange, Soloby hasn't seen a train since 1960 ☹️

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Sainty

I don't want to put a downer on your visit but when you come to play with Sheffield Exchange, Soloby hasn't seen a train since 1960 ☹️

Good. That means it won't be on strike then.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Of course, the timing of the trip allows me to visit three model railway shows - Newcastle, Brighton and Warley - where I'll wear my RMweb name badge, so if you spot me feel free either to have a chat or, if you prefer, ignore me and pass by on the other side.

If you are doing Warley on the Saturday I will be there demoing something or other that far too modern with DEMU, so please come by and say hello. 

• Like 2