Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, hongkongmike said:

Ah, Harveys Sussex Bitter, one of my favourite brews when I lived in Chailey (near Cooksbridge) in the early 1980's; glad to know you're having a grand time in the UK John; trust ASLEF won't upset things too much!

Mine too.

I've checked the ASLEF situation and by good luck the strikes seem to be on different operators from the ones I'll be using on the relevant days.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

...but I did have yet another pint of Harvey's with my lunch at the Lamb in Eastbourne.

I think I can see a pattern developing here.

• Agree 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, ian said:

I think I can see a pattern developing here.

Last chance for Harvey's tomorrow - then, possibly, Marston's Pedigree for a few days and a cornucopia of choice next week in Yorkshire...

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Last chance for Harvey's tomorrow - then, possibly, Marston's Pedigree for a few days and a cornucopia of choice next week in Yorkshire...

John, if you find yourself near Beck Hole at the end of next week do not return to Australia with visiting The Birch Hall Inn - although I realise you are on a ‘schedule’ and their hours are a bit restrictive. I can thoroughly recommend the own brew, ‘Beckwatter’. No connection, just a very happy customer! 

IMG_0424.jpeg.b8a58a7bf98536aab3a94e9c324cfb63.jpeg

version1uuid9E4C73F3-857F-418A-A083-B3C4B4C5CB26modecompatiblenoloc1.jpeg.0a971ac70c3f6559941a540eaa4c24bb.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TrevorP1 said:

John, if you find yourself near Beck Hole at the end of next week do not return to Australia with visiting The Birch Hall Inn - although I realise you are on a ‘schedule’ and their hours are a bit restrictive. I can thoroughly recommend the own brew, ‘Beckwatter’. No connection, just a very happy customer! 

IMG_0424.jpeg.b8a58a7bf98536aab3a94e9c324cfb63.jpeg

version1uuid9E4C73F3-857F-418A-A083-B3C4B4C5CB26modecompatiblenoloc1.jpeg.0a971ac70c3f6559941a540eaa4c24bb.jpeg

Thanks Trevor. I don't think I'll make it on this trip but it looks like one for the future.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I am truly shocked by the recent ravings on this thread… you travel half-way round the globe to reach these shores, but not even a whiff of Ozzle’s Proper Job on draught???

So near… but oh so far!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Chamby said:

I am truly shocked by the recent ravings on this thread… you travel half-way round the globe to reach these shores, but not even a whiff of Ozzle’s Proper Job on draught???

So near… but oh so far!

Well, I can't disagree - but so far it hasn't been available where I've been. Last night, however, after the Brighton MRC club night, I did consume a pint of Doom Bar (and then one of Gun Brewery Best Bitter).

https://www.gunbrewery.co.uk/chummy-bluster

Edited by St Enodoc
speling
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Well, I can't disagree - but so far it hasn't been available where I've been. Last night, however, after the Brighton MRC club night, I did consume a pint of Doom Bar (and then one of Gun Brewery Best Bitter).

https://www.gunbrewery.co.uk/chummy-bluster

PJ is rarely found on draught east of the Tamar, it’s still mostly a local delicacy and (dare I say) the better for it!  It’s sister Tribute does venture further afield as a guest ale though… and tinnies are appearing upcountry on some supermarket shelves these days.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I think I used to see Proper Job on the bar at the Buccaneer in Babbacombe, but usually chose Tribute. When Steve and Marion retired, the ambience changed, and we now walk a little further to the Babbacombe Inn, where I seem to drink Chardonnay. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Devon and Summerzet (and Cornwall?) pubs are always good for me and I’ve never drunk a pint of ale/beer/bitter etc in my life.

l be a zider drinkerr.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 5BarVT said:

Devon and Summerzet (and Cornwall?) pubs are always good for me and I’ve never drunk a pint of ale/beer/bitter etc in my life.

l be a zider drinkerr.

Paul.

Sherry usually drinks cider if we aren't sharing a bottle of wine. Inch's, so she has a half-Inch!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Chamby said:

PJ is rarely found on draught east of the Tamar, it’s still mostly a local delicacy and (dare I say) the better for it!  It’s sister Tribute does venture further afield as a guest ale though… and tinnies are appearing upcountry on some supermarket shelves these days.

Yes PJ on draught is a rare cop outside of Cornwall, come to that not every St Austell pub in Cornwall has it. Certainly it's very enjoyable when the opportunity arises. I have some tins put by for Christmas so we'll see what they're like. Tribute doesn't like me so normally I'll volunteer to drive if there's no PJ.

Also worth a try, if you can find it, is Sharp's Sea Fury. So far I've only ever seen it in The Victory in St Mawes.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

l be a zider drinkerr.

Paul.

I got drunk on cider when I was a lad... Never, ever, ever again! I can still feel the pain of trying to pretend to my mother that I did't have a raging hangover! (No doubt she knew anyway...).

• Friendly/supportive 6

Sharps Sea Fury is an excellent ale......

Doom Bar used to be when it was brewed in Cornwall before Coors took it over.

Now it's brewed in Burton on Trent in my opinion it tastes more like a cross between Bass & Worthington E...Neither of which in my opinion are very palatable.

As far as I'm aware Sea Fury is still brewed in Cornwall....Hence the better taste.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

I got drunk on cider when I was a lad... Never, ever, ever again! I can still feel the pain of trying to pretend to my mother that I did't have a raging hangover! (No doubt she knew anyway...).

Early in my career I shared lodgings with other youngsters from Torbay.  They regaled me with stories of tourists (they did say which northern english county they were from but I’ll keep that quiet) who thought cider was weak watery stuff . . .

until they stood up (briefly!).

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8