Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am off to commit a crime for my free passage.

It’s the getting back that’s a little difficult.

Paul.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Nor would any of the others.

Tea, coffee, hot snacks provided. Cakes, etc. at visitors' discretion.

Third Saturday of odd-numbered months. You would be very welcome.

Apologies for my none attendance this month.. bit busy with something at home...

Baz

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

The sister is getting afternoon tea sorted for tomorrow. 

76AC8F47-6118-4988-A737-12546662CD74.jpeg

Hope she doesn't ever get to see this post Jesse.. could get very messy for you if she does!

Bas

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

A good session today. With the long break since the September session, and the novelty of the new routes and moves, I'd anticipated only getting through about a dozen trains in two hours. In fact, we ran nearly 20, which was very encouraging for a first attempt. There's lot of familiarisation to be done, particularly with shunting, consisting and working the single line but overall things went pretty well. There'll be a fair bit of fine tuning of the sequence sheets as we go along but no showstoppers so far. One interesting feature was that even though we ran fewer trains, the layout as a whole seemed busier (which of course it was). It will be interesting to see how this develops as we find our feet.

Roll on March!

Where the edible refreshments Jesse's sister made well received. I hope so or next time she might tell him to DIY.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Where the edible refreshments Jesse's sister made well received. I hope so or next time she might tell him to DIY.

Oh yes!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Get Jesse to adk her to prepare something for my next visit... another chance for Baz to create havoc...

Bas

Definitely. We'll be over there for a BRMA meeting in a couple of weeks so I'll ask her then.

Any dates for your trip yet?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Definitely. We'll be over there for a BRMA meeting in a couple of weeks so I'll ask her then.

Any dates for your trip yet?

2025 probably...

Baz

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Barry O said:

2025 probably...

Baz

The cakes might be a bit stale by then...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

Do you recommend DG couplings over other varieties?

Edited by aardvark
English clearly isn't my first language. I wonder what is.
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, aardvark said:

Do you recommend DG couplings over other varieties?

As far as delayed-action uncoupling is concerned, I've some experience of Sprat and Winkles, Kadees, DGs and to a very limited extent B&Bs.

I found that Sprat and Winkles took up too much space under the ends of vehicles and were hence tricky to fit.

Kadees are good but expensive and if your track has any vertical irregularities it's easy for them to become uncoupled inadvertently.

I built and fitted one pair of B&Bs for a friend. I found it extraordinarily fiddly although I suppose with practice that might get easier.

Over 30 years ago the Leeds MRS evaluated various types of coupler to replace its then-standard in-house design that worked in the same way as a tension lock but upside down. It didn't have delayed action, which is why we stopped using it. On the other hand, an advantage was that they worked with permanent magnets not electromagnets.

The club chose DGs and many of us have stuck with them ever since, so they must have something going for them. The frets are fairly easy to assemble (after several hundred, you soon get the knack...) and the only critical dimensions are the loop, for which a jig or a pair of marked pliers ensures repeatability, and the height of the buffer beam, where our standard is for the bottom of the beam to be 8mm above rail level. The beam needs to project about1mm in front of the actual buffers on the vehicle concerned. DGs are still available from Wizard Models (usual disclaimer).

On that basis, I'd recommend DGs if you don't mind building your own. If money is no object and you have nice flat track then Kadees would be a good choice.

There are several layout on RMweb that use them - I suggest having a look at the work that @Michael Edge and @Barry O have done.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Going back a few posts, David Burton has kindly reminded me that our late friend, who built the loco coal wagons, was Paul Bromige.

I'm going to write that down now...

Edited by St Enodoc
speling
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

20240123001LNERopenandLocoCoalwagons.JPG.b82b35c9b8fb30c128b3b3f9928c8afe.JPG

Here they are, posed on Nancegwithey Viaduct.

An early prototype of the Brunel timber viaduct design. 😀

Edited by ian
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

I have just cancelled my subscription to the print edition of Model Rail magazine, which I have held for many years, because the best price quoted over the subscription phone line or on the Great Magazines website was more than 50% higher than what I paid last year. A strange way to do business.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10