Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

On a completely different tack, may I please ask a favour of my Cornish-based friends?

When lockdown permits, would somebody please measure for me the width of the road and/or footpaths on the overbridges at a) Bugle station; and b) Par station?

Thanks in advance.

According to Google maps Bugle's bridge is 26.7 ft wide, the road is 21.2ft wide, pavement on station side. It is 107ft long.

Par is 27.6ft wide, the road is 19.8ft, pavement on station side only. It is 105 ft long on an angle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

According to Google maps Bugle's bridge is 26.7 ft wide, the road is 21.2ft wide, pavement on station side. It is 107ft long.

Par is 27.6ft wide, the road is 19.8ft, pavement on station side only. It is 105 ft long on an angle.

Thanks Clive, that's perfect for what I need.

• Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

See Mortys not just a posh hairdo ! Nicely done .

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Barry O said:

how many buses can be parked on the bridges then?

Baz

Hi Baz

Depends on the road regulations of the time period of Sainty's train set and if they are to be single or double deckers.

Common single deck Western National buses in the late 50s would be Bristol LWL or LS types , maybe a MW, at 30ft long each, then 3 and a bit.

Double deckers, Bristol K (26ft long) , KSW, and LD (both 27ft long) then nearly 4 going the other way. That is if parked bumper to bumper.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Baz

Depends on the road regulations of the time period of Sainty's train set and if they are to be single or double deckers.

Common single deck Western National buses in the late 50s would be Bristol LWL or LS types , maybe a MW, at 30ft long each, then 3 and a bit.

Double deckers, Bristol K (26ft long) , KSW, and LD (both 27ft long) then nearly 4 going the other way. That is if parked bumper to bumper.

Seven buses on a bridge is pushing it a bit, especially for Cornwall!

I think Clive May have included the parapets in his width measurements?  The pavement on Bugle bridge is very narrow, only between 3-4 feet wide by my reckoning, you can only walk along it in single file and it is very scary when a 40-tonne Artic is passing you at 30mph or more.  Check out Street View in google earth to see what I mean.  That will also give you an idea of the parapet height too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Baz

I have a couple of LSs, a couple of Ks, an L (which will do for an LWL), an LD and an OB. There's a Little Bus Company Dennis waiting to be built as well. These are mostly Western National but the odd Southern National too. I also have two MW coaches in Royal Blue livery. Finally there's a big air-conditioned double-decker of Singapore Bus Services...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I have a couple of LSs, a couple of Ks, an L (which will do for an LWL), an LD and an OB. There's a Little Bus Company Dennis waiting to be built as well. These are mostly Western National but the odd Southern National too. I also have two MW coaches in Royal Blue livery. Finally there's a big air-conditioned double-decker of Singapore Bus Services...

Yeah go with that one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Chamby said:

Seven buses on a bridge is pushing it a bit, especially for Cornwall!

I think Clive May have included the parapets in his width measurements?  The pavement on Bugle bridge is very narrow, only between 3-4 feet wide by my reckoning, you can only walk along it in single file and it is very scary when a 40-tonne Artic is passing you at 30mph or more.  Check out Street View in google earth to see what I mean.  That will also give you an idea of the parapet height too.

Thanks Phil. I used Google Maps to get the overall proportions but I'm not clever enough to get the dimensions, so Clive's information is what I was after. I will continue on the basis that the bridges need be no more than about 100mm wide over the parapets.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Finally there's a big air-conditioned double-decker of Singapore Bus Services...

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yeah go with that one.

But that's 12m long - you'll need to recalculate the number of angels that can dance on a pin buses that you can get on the bridge.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, ian said:

But that's 12m long - you'll need to recalculate the number of angels that can dance on a pin buses that you can get on the bridge.

He's only got one  big air-conditioned double-decker of Singapore Bus Services. I see the problem he is building two bridges. It might be a big-un but it cannot be in two places at the same time. :good:

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

He's only got one  big air-conditioned double-decker of Singapore Bus Services. I see the problem he is building two bridges. It might be a big-un but it cannot be in two places at the same time. :good:

There will probably be five overbridges when the layout is complete. 10 buses/5 bridges = 2 buses per bridge. Simples.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

There will probably be five overbridges when the layout is complete. 10 buses/5 bridges = 2 buses per bridge. Simples.

Plus one parked outside each station.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, KeithMacdonald said:

Plus the Devon General / Western National bus depot?

Ah, now one of the things I have in mind for Pentowan is a representation of the bus station. Both Western and Southern National services used the one at Newquay and with a stretch of the imagination Royal Blue coaches could as well. It all depends how much space is left over...

Not Devon General though - wrong country (not a typo).

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

See if you were modelling Devon I could have supplied the replacement bus service.

1479601379_Devonbus.jpg.1b29a3260346b3124adfb811c6cc93a5.jpg

5 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Not Devon General though - wrong country (not a typo).

I stand corrected (I was distracted by Clive's excellent pic including Devon General buses)

• Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, KingEdwardII said:

Well, quantum theory says otherwise... :jester:

One bus would be sufficient to be on all five bridges and station forecourts and anywhere else you wanted.  All you have to do is look and it would be there and when you look away it's gone!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1