Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
On 30/07/2022 at 06:53, Penlowry said:

Looks really good John. Liking your lever frames too. I want to do that on mine too but feel that may require me to retire first to have the time! I'm envious of the space you've got. Maybe I need to move back to Australia so I can have a bigger layout?! 

Thanks Chris. The Modratec manual suggests about one hour per lever overall but to be honest I reckon you need to allow around twice that.

Edited by St Enodoc
Delete unnecessary word
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

No action yesterday, as Alan @chesterfield and I went over to Peter the Cornishman's to help him check out his layout ready for next Saturday's BRMA Sydney area group visit. With a bit of minor tweaking, all was well.

Today I started the wiring between Porthmellyn Road and St Enodoc for the line clear releases. I installed the 6-way cable that is at the heart of the system, the 12V dc supply for the line clear switches and LEDs and the 5V dc supply for the Eemecks.  The rest will wait until I've built the casing for the St Enodoc lever frame, on which the switches, their corresponding LEDs and the release buttons will be mounted.

No photos, as pictures of wires and choccy blocks aren't all that exciting.

I also placed some blue map pins at St Enodoc to mark the future position of the signals.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

On 29/07/2022 at 10:07, St Enodoc said:

And here it is:

Many thanks as always to Charles and to the team for their cameo appearances and the running commentary...

Great video John,

Did I spot a couple of Dapol single GWR home signals which you've added a second short goods arm? If so is that written up on here somewhere as it could well be of interest to me?

Colin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BWsTrains said:

Great video John,

Did I spot a couple of Dapol single GWR home signals which you've added a second short goods arm? If so is that written up on here somewhere as it could well be of interest to me?

Colin

No, Colin, everything is built from Ratio kits 460, 462 and 469, plus ground discs. They are powered by memory wire actuators. The only exception is the banner repeater, which is a Bachmann model modified to operate. All the signals use Scalelink arms.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

All the signals use Scalelink arms.

He is retiring at the end of the year, so if you want any more, get your order in now!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Regularity said:

He is retiring at the end of the year, so if you want any more, get your order in now!

I have all I need but with luck someone will take over the range (again).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

No, Colin, everything is built from Ratio kits 460, 462 and 469, plus ground discs. They are powered by memory wire actuators. The only exception is the banner repeater, which is a Bachmann model modified to operate. All the signals use Scalelink arms.

Scalelink brass etches appear to have been taken on by his former assistant. Most amazing collection of frets there but way beyond my modest needs.

see here https://www.scalelinkfretcetera.co.uk

I'd been looking at the offering from MSE to replace the Ratio semaphore assembly, I think that should meet my needs. BTW what is the particular advantage of using memory wire, is it better than the wire lengths in the Ratio kit?

Colin

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Scalelink brass etches appear to have been taken on by his former assistant.

Good to know: I had a recent order, and only the pending closure was mentioned.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Scalelink brass etches appear to have been taken on by his former assistant.

Yes, Scalelink and Scalelinkfretcetera are two separate concerns.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Scalelink brass etches appear to have been taken on by his former assistant. Most amazing collection of frets there but way beyond my modest needs.

see here https://www.scalelinkfretcetera.co.uk

I'd been looking at the offering from MSE to replace the Ratio semaphore assembly, I think that should meet my needs. BTW what is the particular advantage of using memory wire, is it better than the wire lengths in the Ratio kit?

Colin

The memory wire is used in the actuator. I still use the Ratio nickel-silver wire between the actuator and the arm(s). More details starting on page 145 but unfortunately the photos are still missing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The memory wire is used in the actuator. I still use the Ratio nickel-silver wire between the actuator and the arm(s). More details starting on page 145 but unfortunately the photos are still missing. 

Ah! yes I remember reading all that, hard to believe it was 125 pages ago, how time flies. At the time I put it all in the too hard basket, partly the need had not arisen and again because of accessing suitable materials.

I've a handy friend who's used to cobbling together all sorts of lab equipment, in fact he more or less made a whole career of it. I've only the need to motorise one more signal as I've 2 Dapol motored singles in my stock so it could be a neat challenge for him.

Then I've an old derailleur changer mechanism, top end of anyway, and had been wondering if I might adapt that as a variant of a wire in tube device, the wire is long enough. If I could get it going, it'd give something to amuse the grandkids to move a signal up/down 😎. Rather at the other end of the scale from your magnificent lever frame setup I have to admit.

Regards,

Colin 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah! yes I remember reading all that, hard to believe it was 125 pages ago, how time flies. At the time I put it all in the too hard basket, partly the need had not arisen and again because of accessing suitable materials.

I've a handy friend who's used to cobbling together all sorts of lab equipment, in fact he more or less made a whole career of it. I've only the need to motorise one more signal as I've 2 Dapol motored singles in my stock so it could be a neat challenge for him.

Then I've an old derailleur changer mechanism, top end of anyway, and had been wondering if I might adapt that as a variant of a wire in tube device, the wire is long enough. If I could get it going, it'd give something to amuse the grandkids to move a signal up/down 😎. Rather at the other end of the scale from your magnificent lever frame setup I have to admit.

Regards,

Colin 

Colin, memory wire is hard to get these days and to be honest if I were starting afresh I'd use servos.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Today's post brought a nice treat - a 3D-printed model of a Cordon DD4 gas tank wagon, made by Bygone Wagons in Tasmania (usual disclaimer).

https://www.bygone-wagons.com/

I suppose it's a kit really, as the underframe and floor are printed separately from the nine tanks and their fittings. I'll take a photo or two once I've put it together and painted it.

I have an unbuilt Falcon Brass kit that was likely to stay unbuilt after reading of the trials and tribulations faced by fellow BRMA member John Gleeson, so the new model will replace that.

It will look nice in due course parked at the end of the spur leading off the loop at Pentowan.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Today's post brought a nice treat - a 3D-printed model of a Cordon DD4 gas tank wagon, made by Bygone Wagons in Tasmania (usual disclaimer).

https://www.bygone-wagons.com/

I suppose it's a kit really, as the underframe and floor are printed separately from the nine tanks and their fittings. I'll take a photo or two once I've put it together and painted it.

I have an unbuilt Falcon Brass kit that was likely to stay unbuilt after reading of the trials and tribulations faced by fellow BRMA member John Gleeson, so the new model will replace that.

It will look nice in due course parked at the end of the spur leading off the loop at Pentowan.

I'll be watching how you get on with this John. The Cordon and the Dysons are very tempting.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, TrevorP1 said:

I'll be watching how you get on with this John. The Cordon and the Dysons are very tempting.

Thanks Trevor. There really isn't much to do. The print is pretty clean and I think that a good dose of rattle can grey primer/filler and another of matt black will hide the few striated areas. The model comes with wheels already fitted, so apart from gluing the two main parts together all I'll need to do is fit dummy screw couplings, vacuum pipes and steam pipes at each end then letter it. I'll print the lettering on the laser printer as it's all white-on-black and confined (I think) to the solebars, so the edges of the paper will be concealed (that's how I did my milk tanks).

Amanda at Bygone Wagons asked if there were any other wagon types I was interested in seeing in her range, so of course I replied "Insixfish". We shall see!

PS I assume the Dysons were carried on vacuum-braked wagons...

• Like 5

11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Today's post brought a nice treat - a 3D-printed model of a Cordon DD4 gas tank wagon, made by Bygone Wagons in Tasmania ......

Now that is a really fascinating one from left field. A quick search turned up some fine photos of a completed DD5 O gauge model here which further piqued my interest :

https://themodelrailwaydotshow.wordpress.com/2022/02/04/some-goods-news-for-the-gwr/

I'll need to check if I can find any excuse for the smaller version DD5 to appear on Upper Hembury? Might they be topping up gas on the coaches terminating there overnight (mid 1930s) or perhaps my Tannery was an early adopter of gas in some process or other?

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Amanda at Bygone Wagons asked if there were any other wagon types I was interested in seeing in her range, so of course I replied "Insixfish". We shall see!

PS I assume the Dysons were carried on vacuum-braked wagons...

I can't see even the new boys coming up with an Insixfish so 'me too' there. I'll certainly mention it if I place an order for my winter projects list.

Regarding the road tankers and their wagons, there are quite a few photos of milk trains with these in the consist so vacuum braked almost certainly I think. I would have thought one of these would be a 'fit' for Rapido or even Oxford Rail...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

I can't see even the new boys coming up with an Insixfish so 'me too' there. I'll certainly mention it if I place an order for my winter projects list.

Regarding the road tankers and their wagons, there are quite a few photos of milk trains with these in the consist so vacuum braked almost certainly I think. I would have thought one of these would be a 'fit' for Rapido or even Oxford Rail...

Never say never.  i think it polled quite well and that is often a good starting point.  And it has the advantage that it can run with WR steam and all the diesel hydrauliv cs plus whatever the remaining one sran with after transfer to Scotland.  The ideal tail traffic vehicle for a Class A/Class 1 trains (on an appropriate route of course)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Now that is a really fascinating one from left field. A quick search turned up some fine photos of a completed DD5 O gauge model here which further piqued my interest :

https://themodelrailwaydotshow.wordpress.com/2022/02/04/some-goods-news-for-the-gwr/

I'll need to check if I can find any excuse for the smaller version DD5 to appear on Upper Hembury? Might they be topping up gas on the coaches terminating there overnight (mid 1930s) or perhaps my Tannery was an early adopter of gas in some process or other?

Colin

Upper Hembury bay platform would be an ideal spot to find one of these - there to recharge the gas cylinders on the branch set of coaches

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

The SR & GWR Rotanks were not very far outside The Top 50 of The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019.

Sad to say, though - particularly as I want one! - the Insixfish was towards the low end of Middle Polling.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

The SR & GWR Rotanks were not very far outside The Top 50 of The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019.

Sad to say, though - particularly as I want one! - the Insixfish was towards the low end of Middle Polling.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

GWR Rotanks both 4 and 6 wheel are also available from Amanda at bygone models. Insixfish has been created as a brass kit by @macgeordieof this parish. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Amanda at Bygone Wagons asked if there were any other wagon types I was interested in seeing in her range, so of course I replied "Insixfish".

I'm now in email correspondence with Amanda. She has the drawing, from Atkins et al, but agrees that the long-wheelbase 6-wheel chassis would be a challenge.

Watch this space...

• Like 1

I just placed an order for my Cordon DD5 gas tank wagon.

It's had the seal of approval as suitable for my setting, and I can't tell you how good it feels to not be expecting something from a big box shifter from across the waters :😎. Just from Tassie almost next door.

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3