Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Gold

Assuming your not using a live frame on one side, or having front axle only for one side, don’t you need a further cut in the PCBs?

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Assuming your not using a live frame on one side, or having front axle only for one side, don’t you need a further cut in the PCBs?

Paul.

Live frame. Each pair of turned drivers has one insulated wheel (on the right) and one on the left (plain), so only one pickup per axle.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

No railway action to report as we went on a short harbour cruise today. I'm too lazy to write it all out again, so if you're interested you can go here:

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

[...] The minimum radius 2182 will have to traverse is 670mm on the Wheal Veronica branch and earlier testing suggested that was a bit tight. After filing there's about another 1mm of sideplay. [...]

Just out of interest, what's the total amount of sideplay on your chassis?

I was looking at my etched chassis on my 2021 the other day and wondering what kind of radius it could get round, and if I might need to increase the sideplay on the middle axle.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Erudhalion said:

Just out of interest, what's the total amount of sideplay on your chassis?

I was looking at my etched chassis on my 2021 the other day and wondering what kind of radius it could get round, and if I might need to increase the sideplay on the middle axle.

I'll take some measurements next time I remove the wheels. The gaps between the wheels and frames are too small to get my verynears into.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Not come across a verynear before.  I rather like it.

Paul.

That's cos you ain't a mechanical engineer...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I'll take some measurements next time I remove the wheels. The gaps between the wheels and frames are too small to get my verynears into.

Right, the sideplay on the middle axle with the reduced bearing flanges is 1.7mm and on the leading and trailing axles with the full bearing flanges it is 0.7mm.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Right, the sideplay on the middle axle with the reduced bearing flanges is 1.7mm and on the leading and trailing axles with the full bearing flanges it is 0.7mm.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much, I'll check my chassis and see what the situation is.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/03/2024 at 07:09, St Enodoc said:

Back to 2182 this afternoon. The first job was to fit an extra bearing as recommended by Mike @Coach bogie, which will hereinafter be referred to as the Wiltshire bearing.

202403250012182motorandgearboxwithWiltshirebearing.JPG.cc8cdcbd5e8debb036c3e1b848b5a6a2.JPG

The bearing itself is a short length of K&S brass tube, which just happens to be a nice running fit on the 1.5mm motor shaft. It's soldered into a hole in a piece of .015" brass that I happened to find in the Useful Box. I tried a U shape initially but couldn't get the bends exactly right, so I chopped off one side to make an L-bracket. I think it will be fine. You can't see it here, but before soldering the bracket to the gearbox frame I cut another short length of tube to go between the worm and the motor, to cut down the end play on the shaft and keep the armature windings in line with the magnet pole pieces. The motor and gearbox ran very nicely on a 9V dc battery, so I left them at that.

202403250022182extrasideplayonmiddleaxle.JPG.ff5cbb2b3be4e11c099c4696c2ef0758.JPG

Next, I filed down the faces of the middle axle bearings to increase the sideplay on that axle. The minimum radius 2182 will have to traverse is 670mm on the Wheal Veronica branch and earlier testing suggested that was a bit tight. After filing there's about another 1mm of sideplay.

202403250032182chassison3rdradiustrack.JPG.31e53f3d22fc65c937e18470ebe93665.JPG

Here's the chassis on a piece of Hornby 3rd Radius (505mm) track. It sits and rolls very nicely, so 670mm radius will be no problem.

202403250042182couplingrodstrialfit.JPG.b69791e619856611603e708f4deb9176.JPG

Of course, that extra sideplay would be no use if it was restricted by the coupling rods, so I fitted a couple of ancient Romford crankpin washers to each side of the leading and trailing axles. Again, the complete chassis ran smoothly on 9V dc so I stopped there for the day.

This kit doesn't include any brake blocks. Somewhere I've got some plastic ones, so if I can find them I'll add those to give an impression of some brake gear.

Apart from that, it's now time to run in the chassis properly on the rolling road before dismantling it again for painting.

If anyone thinks I've missed anything before I paint the chassis, please let me know!

I put brakes and sandpipes (fit to frames, not to footplate) on before painting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

I put brakes and sandpipes (fit to frames, not to footplate) on before painting.

Ah, sandpipes! Forgot about them.

And guard irons...

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I've been fettling, on and off, today and I've got 2182 running smoothly on the leading and trailing wheels, without coupling rods, down to about 15rpm. If I've done my sums right, that's about a scale 3 mph. I think the limiting factor there is my dc controller, rather than the motor and drive train (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). That's better than some of my other locos, so I'll gradually reassemble the chassis, fettling as I go if necessary.

I haven't done anything about the chassis detailing parts yet. A kind RMwebber is sending me some Iain Rice/Mainly Trains etched brake blocks, which is good as I can't find the plastic ones that I thought I had, while I'll make the sandpipes and guard irons from wire and scrap etch respectively. They will be representative/impressionistic rather than true-to-scale, I'm afraid.

Finally for tonight, Harold (Mr Modratec) sent me this link, which I found very interesting yet poignant. See what you think:

https://youtu.be/tHPh82PzDMM?si=5IODZZkFIB6QFt1s

Edited by St Enodoc
correct supplier
  • Like 18

15 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

which I found very interesting yet poignant.

I'm hard pressed to think of another 21C technology dependent on the proper working and operation of an integrated 19C technology system  (from circa 1870 according to The Signal Box).

No five quids on offer for anyone naming one though, (sorry, I'm clean out)

• Friendly/supportive 3

Close to UK home is Heighington, built in 1872. Another claim to fame, this station saw the departure of the first, steam hauled passenger train behind Locomotion no1.

The 19th century box controls the entrance to the 21st century Hitachi factory building the Azumas amongst others. Still in operation, not due to close, along with Shildon Box until 2027.

Mike Wiltshire

heighington.jpg.4d188019c8a29effb6418807dddb3a8a.jpg

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Coach bogie said:

Close to UK home is Heighington, built in 1872. Another claim to fame, this station saw the departure of the first, steam hauled passenger train behind Locomotion no1.

The 19th century box controls the entrance to the 21st century Hitachi factory building the Azumas amongst others. Still in operation, not due to close, along with Shildon Box until 2027.

Mike Wiltshire

heighington.jpg.4d188019c8a29effb6418807dddb3a8a.jpg

Yes, when I visited No 2 daughter in Shildon last year I was amazed to see that the box was still open, with some semaphore signals too!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

I would have soldered up the spacers, then removed the unsightly screws and filled the holes - or just filed them right back.

Thanks Mike. I could still do that, I think, or possibly remove the spacers altogether and replace them with PCB or flat brass.

• Informative/Useful 1