Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

The Christchurch Test has been won and lost. Tight and tense before lunch but in the second session the winners held their nerve better than the losers to prevail before tea, with four sessions to spare (no danger of a winning or losing draw today).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The Christchurch Test has been won and lost. Tight and tense before lunch but in the second session the winners held their nerve better than the losers to prevail before tea, with four sessions to spare (no danger of a winning or losing draw today).

Do you know what sort of cake they had at tea?

As for this wining draw or losing draw malarkey, I don't think my Uncle John was playing for a draw. Not bad bowling from Chelsea's center half. And knowing John as he walked off he would be wondering what sort of cake was there.

004a.jpg.e98e40ce3ead390f85cd15e14c2f36a7.jpg

Dad's other brother Charlie wasn't one for playing for a draw either.

Both were also quite good when it came to walloping the ball with the plank of wood.

003a.jpg.cd966bd7e6eff06897b3a831a3001347.jpg

Charlie liked cake as well.

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
On 10/03/2024 at 07:23, Barry O said:

Different Leagues use different definitions.

One glance at any league site on play cricket reveals this.

In the Central Yorkshire League (CYL) we used to play 46 overs per side and the points were

5-0 outright win

4-1 winning/losing draw

3-3 tie

You got 1 point if you batted through the 46 overs without being bowled out but the other side got your score or more .

The tie was not correctly a tie as the side battting second did not have to be bowled out (I.e. it was just level scores).

The CYL was folded into the Bradford League a couple of years ago.

Where did the odd figure of 46 overs come from I always wondered as a child?

Apparently in depth analysis of drawn games played under time rules in the fifties revealed that 92 overs was the average duration of a game.

It was altered to 50 overs during the seventies.

The best ssytem I played under was the now gone West Riding League which played 

6-0

5-1

4-2

3-3

The 4-2 draw kept the game alive because if the side batting second scored 80% of your total they took another point off you PROVIDING that they batted all the overs out.

This league played a wierd 42 overs (don't ask) with a bizarre scoreboard system!

I never understood why 8 wickets did not get you a 4-2 if you had not been bowled out, but there you go!

Whatever you played I do not favour the bonus points system now in vogue, particularly in Norfolk.

Teams with small grounds always get an advantage.

When the CYL proposed this the teams with "big" grounds, such as Batley, where I played, told the League that they woudl reduce their playing area to match some of the postage stamps built into steep hillsides!

Staincliffe was so small that they would not allow sixes for many years.

I once hit "six" off my gloves in an age group game played on the edge of the square!

Sorry for thread drift.

I could go on but this is supposed to be about model railways!

Ian T

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Unfortunately I'm the only one left who eats it, so I set myself a target of finishing it by Lady Day, 25th March. I'm doing well this year, only about 6 servings left. 

I should be careful make comments like that, you may well have to fight off marauding bears and hippopatami.

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ianathompson said:

One glance at any league site on play cricket reveals this.

In the Central Yorkshire League (CYL) we used to play 46 overs per side and the points were

5-0 outright win

4-1 winning/losing draw

3-3 tie

You got 1 point if you batted through the 46 overs without being bowled out but the other side got your score or more .

The tie was not correctly a tie as the side battting second did not have to be bowled out (I.e. it was just level scores).

The CYL was folded into the Bradford League a couple of years ago.

Where did the odd figure of 46 overs come from I always wondered as a child?

Apparently in depth analysis of drawn games played under time rules in the fifties revealed that 92 overs was the average duration of a game.

It was altered to 50 overs during the seventies.

The best ssytem I played under was the now gone West Riding League which played 

6-0

5-1

4-2

3-3

The 4-2 draw kept the game alive because if the side batting second scored 80% of your total they took another point off you PROVIDING that they batted all the overs out.

This league played a wierd 42 overs (don't ask) with a bizarre scoreboard system!

I never understood why 8 wickets did not get you a 4-2 if you had not been bowled out, but there you go!

Whatever you played I do not favour the bonus points system now in vogue, particularly in Norfolk.

Teams with small grounds always get an advantage.

When the CYL proposed this the teams with "big" grounds, such as Batley, where I played, told the League that they woudl reduce their playing area to match some of the postage stamps built into steep hillsides!

Staincliffe was so small that they would not allow sixes for many years.

I once hit "six" off my gloves in an age group game played on the edge of the square!

Sorry for thread drift.

I could go on but this is supposed to be about model railways!

Ian T

Thanks Ian. Clear as mud.

Anyway, to paraphrase the great Trinidadian writer and philosopher C L R James, "What do they know of model railways who only model railways know?".

Edited by St Enodoc
correction
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Sad but true… Black Caps often can’t deliver a killer punch and proved that again yesterday. As a kiwi, it’s very frustrating. But once again the Aussie’s showed us how to win under pressure. I respect that. Cummins is a decent bloke and good leader. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Andy R said:

Sad but true… Black Caps often can’t deliver a killer punch and proved that again yesterday. As a kiwi, it’s very frustrating. But once again the Aussie’s showed us how to win under pressure. I respect that. Cummins is a decent bloke and good leader. 

Yes. Too many mistakes at key moments throughout the game, notably dropped catches. Somehow NZ need to get that monkey off their back (a bit like us and the Bledisloe...). Still, it was nice to see two good Test matches at two proper cricket grounds (as distinct from mega-stadia) and neither spoiled by rain, amazingly!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I see your 4’ road numbers in the FY.  Do they act as clearance markers too?

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 5BarVT said:

I see your 4’ road numbers in the FY.  Do they act as clearance markers too?

Paul.

Yes, just as they do at Paddington and Penzance. If you can see the whole of the marker then you are clear inside.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 07/03/2024 at 08:03, Dunsignalling said:

There are three others in the series, one on pre-nationalisation wagons, one on Private Owners, and one on BR Departmental stock.

I acquired mint copies of all five at a show back in the nineties for possibly the best tenner I ever spent.

John

I bought these as they were released - at a time when virtually nothing else was published on BR rolling stock they were absolutely invaluable, inspired a few projects such as converting an Airfix cattle wagon kit into the panelled-in general traffic version and a scratchbuilt all-steel Lowfit wagon on another very old cattle wagon kit chassis survivor from my yoof*, and ensured I numbered these and a collection of other kit-built wagons correctly. When Airfix and Mainline launched their OO ranges it was clear from some of the selected running numbers that they found these books invaluable too!

The other essential softback book collection was Brian Haresnape's 'BR Fleet Survey' series, the first of which I recall finding at the October 1981 Barrow Hill Open Day. Both of these sources became well-read and well-thumbed. The latter was only supplanted 20 years later by the 'Modern Locomotives Illustrated' series (of which I collected anything 'First Generation'), yet I still refer to the earlier books from time to time.

*I also scratchbuilt a Holman's compressor trailer as a load for it, remembering these regularly heading through Truro in the up 6B59 afternoon freight service, having been loaded at Camborne (I suppose this train at least did stop there Wednesdays....) and I still have that, now mounted on a different wagon.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

20240312001weatheredfittedchinaclaywagonscomplete.JPG.9a1137e5da7c43ef46aae8264c390e2d.JPG

20240312002weatheredfittedchinaclaywagonscomplete.JPG.7f74b33b4fadb9f8f5c7b9781f985c5a.JPG

Top job there. The light and medium weathered ones look just right for limestone traffic, so I hope you won’t mind me bookmarking this post for future reference?

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Top job there. The light and medium weathered ones look just right for limestone traffic, so I hope you won’t mind me bookmarking this post for future reference?

No problem at all. There are lots of ways to do weathering. I find this way quick and easy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

18100 duly run-in on DC, 15 minutes each direction at half- and full speed. Chipping was simple. This loco was the easiest to remove the body of all my more recent locos - well done Rails/Heljan - and the ESU 59659 slotted straight in after removing the (rather tight...) blanking plug.

Programmed using DecoderPro as always , so after lunch I'll give it a run on the layout.

Edited by St Enodoc
Remove nonsensical sentence.
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The loco runs fine on the layout but...

I can't get any of the lights to work at all on DCC. They all worked on DC according to the Rails/Heljan instruction leaflet. I suspect that I might need to do something to map the functions in the decoder but I've never needed to do this with other makes of decoder and the ESU manual is, to me, incomprehensible.

Any suggestions please?

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Maybe, not much help, but reading the various reviews of the Kernow steam rail motor, several have had the same problem with that and the various fixes.

Seems to start around here.    https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/92927-kernow-gwr-steam-rail-motor/page/50/

HTH.

Thanks. Still no luck though.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The loco runs fine on the layout but...

I can't get any of the lights to work at all on DCC. They all worked on DC according to the Rails/Heljan instruction leaflet. I suspect that I might need to do something to map the functions in the decoder but I've never needed to do this with other makes of decoder and the ESU manual is, to me, incomprehensible.

Any suggestions please?

Have you another (make) of decoder to try?  Would confirm its decoder not loco, though working on DC is reasonably conclusive.

Or, paracetamol, hot damp towel and the ESU manual . . .

Never used ESU, but some of my modelling colleagues swear by them.  Manual is indeed comprehensive (read incomprehensible).

Do you know which outputs drive which lamps (as a start to whether function mapping is the issue).

Paul.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

The clay wagons are looking rather nice, Are they going to stay as empties or are you eventually fitting sheets on them? 

Eventually (one fine day) I'll fit sheets. The trains run in both directions, so the sheets will have to be able to be removed and replaced regularly without damage. My friend @RudderC has done it in 0 gauge so I must find out from him exactly how.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Have you another (make) of decoder to try?

No, that's the only 21-pin I have on hand. The decoder is fine as far as driving the loco is concerned - just the lighting functions aren't playing ball.

Never used ESU, but some of my modelling colleagues swear by them.

I've used them a lot but mostly on steam locos where lights aren't relevant. I like them.

Manual is indeed comprehensive (read incomprehensible).

Understatement!

Do you know which outputs drive which lamps (as a start to whether function mapping is the issue).

I only have what's in the Rails/Heljan instruction leaflet, which is very brief. I've tried to map the functions using DecoderPro but failed. My impression is that ESU decoders are all DIY in this regard, rather than being pre-mapped from functions to outputs like some other makes I've used in the past - I might be totally wrong on this of course, which is why I need help from someone who understands ESU decoders and/or DecoderPro for lighting.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, as the loco itself runs very nicely. It's just that with my double-ended traction units (diesels and now GTs) I like to use the lights to help the drivers see which end is which.

Edited by St Enodoc
expanded
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps an email to Rails? It is almost certainly function mapping and they may already know the answer - or at least be able to offer some pointers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, ian said:

Perhaps an email to Rails? It is almost certainly function mapping and they may already know the answer - or at least be able to offer some pointers.

Yes, if I can't get it sorted in the next day or so that's the next step (they'll probably tell me I should have bought the loco with the decoder pre-fitted...).

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Potentially try a topic in the DCC Help forum to see if anyone else has solved the problem, or can at least advise on output pins.

Paul.

Just seen that you have already asked on the 18100 topic.

Edited by 5BarVT
P.S.
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1