Heljan class 17

M. Jones

So much for that. :( :( :( Just spent the best part of 3 1/2 hours on that piece of <brown stuff>

Stripped the drive down to the gears. Cleaned up the oily mess, and ran in with Pearl Drops. Reamed out the bushings and filed them down a touch to give a bit of slack in the worm. The bogie drives are now quite freewheeling and the motor will run one bogie at a time very nicely. Trouble is once reassembled the motor simply doesn't have the oomph to pull the loco's own weight. Don't really want to invest any more money into this pig by buying a new motor. Oh well back into the storage tub until I come across something dirt cheap to power it with. Maybe I should just flog it off as a non-runner. :angry:

My (first batch) models have been away with the retailer, awaiting repair, for nearly a year now. Still no news or time-scales.

is it time to give up, get my money back, and put it away in anticipation of the next batch ?

I have actually had a few sleepless nights over this issue; it just isn't funny anymore.

Why don't you contact Kim at Heljan directly and get him to sort the problem out! If no look contact ALL the magazines with this story of woe, I do not think it is the retailers fault, as I had the same hassle! charlie@dckits.co.uk

Adendum to my previous inane dribblings postings. Contacted Heljan via Howes. Replacement chassis are available for sale at £35. (ouch) I may just bite the bullet. Lesson learned? Yes. Always test run loco purchases as soon as possible and not 18 months later. D'oh!:angry:

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've recently purchased a blue with full yellow class 17 ( D8507 ) from a well known boxshifter. It is one of the batch with the corrected chassis.

I run my rtrs in for 30 minutes each way on rollers and I was really impressed with the smooth wobble free movement of the wheels in both directions! The gears are a slightly noisy but there is no stickiness.

• 10 months later...

Hi rail roaders,

i know it`s dragging up an old thread lol. After becoming a watcher of the Plattling webcam.

http://www.rmweb.co....attling-webcam/

ive really taken too the DB AG V 60 361`s and researching showed the UK class 17 as nearest model. SO my question is this Heljan model problem been sorted now ?? As i quite fancy a CL17 as a shunter for my little industrial area. OH run DCC aswell. Cheers for any info supplied.

Ken.

Edited by yorkie_pudd

Yes, it has been sorted. The 2010/ 2011 ranges nailed it, there are no issues (at least none that have been raised on this forum that I know of) with the models currently on sale with the major retailers.

However, if you are thinking about using pre-owned options, swapmeets or auctions, then I would advise caution. But there's still plenty of choice out there without resorting to these avenues.

Yes, it has been sorted. The 2010/ 2011 ranges nailed it, there are no issues (at least none that have been raised on this forum that I know of) with the models currently on sale with the major retailers.

However, if you are thinking about using pre-owned options, swapmeets or auctions, then I would advise caution. But there's still plenty of choice out there without resorting to these avenues.

Hi Chard,

Many thanks for your quick reply, TBH was gonna buy new and respray it, as either battered unloved shunt or as had a refit for yard shunt duties only, IE: yellow/black strips and very mucky lol.

Again many thanks for info.

Cheers Ken.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it`s an old thread - BUT it does make you wonder how many did`nt get their model fixed and more so how many models shops were stuck with dead models. Because they didnt get enough new chassis`s for what ever reason ???

The reason for my post was looking fleebay and a certain model store has 21 CL 17`s for auction, most claimed as very slow runner with bits missing like buffers, but a fair few as non runners. Did folk forget about them, did they not get the number of replacement chassis, as alot of the adverts state they dont have time to be bothered fixing them.

Are they all mk1 chassis i wonder, if they go cheap and using fixes said on here maybe buy a few to make full ones, and strip the rest for body or buffer spares to sell off ??

Rails of Sheffield has a large quantity starting at £0.99 presently. These are predominantly 1701 (D8568 GSYP 'as preserved') and 1702 (D8529 BFYE), both models from the first release. From reading the descriptions (as other potential buyers clearly are), locos with renewed chassis are already commanding prices in the £20+ range. However, the majority look like aborted swaps (missing buffers being a tell tale sign) or locos that have been taken in exchange/ traded in for a refund, none of which have had renewed chassis.

Basically, the chances are that the best outcome from the dogs, is to make dummy unpowered locos for a scrap line cameo, or for the purpose of double-heading.

My Heljan BR Blue D8529 is still running ok. it is from the original batch and does require a bit more umph to get going, then needs slowing down, after which it runs well. I would like to fit a DCC decoder in it but fear it might be the straw that breaks the camels back.

I would like to know how many other orignals are still going strong.

Regards

Paul

Hmmm... Sure there'll be some on here, Paul. Of my initial four, all were re-chassised, despite one showing signs of (slight) potential. Ironically, I picked up another 8592 from the original batch, new shop stock from Hobbyrail a couple of weeks ago, that had been sent back for chassis replacement when new, and sat there ever since! Wonder how many of the earlier releases have been reworked and still sit on retailers' shelves??? Of recent issues, only the gloss beast seems to be a sluggish seller. Wonder what Claytons, if any, feature in HJ's 2012 programme?

Basically, the chances are that the best outcome from the dogs, is to make dummy unpowered locos for a scrap line cameo, or for the purpose of double-heading.

Now there`s an idea a cl17 junk yard or make 1 non powered for a TNT freight set mmmmmmmmmm

oh fudge more flaming idea`s lol

I know it`s an old thread - BUT it does make you wonder how many did`nt get their model fixed and more so how many models shops were stuck with dead models. Because they didnt get enough new chassis`s for what ever reason ???

Probably best that angle isnt revived TBH, sleeping dogs and all that. I'm fairly sure that HJ made sure enough chassis were potentially available, but a retailer may either have not ordered any (or enough), or may have been (understandably) unable to predict how many returns he would get, given that they could have popped back onto his counter at any time.

• Like 2

Probably best that angle isnt revived TBH, sleeping dogs and all that. I'm fairly sure that HJ made sure enough chassis were potentially available, but a retailer may either have not ordered any (or enough), or may have been (understandably) unable to predict how many returns he would get, given that they could have popped back onto his counter at any time.

i`m sorry you may have misread thinking i was stiring old bad feelings up, and that i`m probably at fault for making it more clearer. you only focused on the first part not the last part.

quote me:

Are they all mk1 chassis i wonder, if they go cheap and using fixes said on here maybe buy a few to make full ones, and strip the rest for body or buffer spares to sell off ??

There are probably loads of the early release out there that can be fixed 1 way or another, or be used for spare parts or use several to make a good full 1 like i said. as for sleeping dogs thats just a cop out to ignore things, my point is that there maybe many out there, still fixable or useable in some form or other.

Nothing is said as to upset or flame any person or business.

you only focused on the first part not the last part.

Well, I edited my quote, for brevity and to save a few electrons. Which you've just re-used by repeating it all again ;)

Nothing is said as to upset or flame any person or business.

I'm sure it wasnt.

as for sleeping dogs thats just a cop out to ignore things,

Not sure what you mean by this, but let's not make a big deal of it.

Edited by Pennine MC

I had one that was from the frist batch. It came with a new chassis for fitting which I did but not before looking at the old one. The motor melted itself together withing seconds. Stripped it down and found that the bearings in the gear towers has a small locating flat on one side with a corresponding flat on the bogie. One of mine was in upside down which caused enough friction to make it hard to turn fingers never mind a motor. Second chassis gradually got noisier even though careful oiling/ greasing has taken place. Finally got a big puff of smoke out of during a club running session. Ended up milling out the motor cradle a shoving a big Vitrains can motor from a scrap chassis in it. Would pull a house down now.

• Like 1

I've got two from the first batch that have original chassis and are still working. TBH as they tested out OK I never got round to trying to get replacement chassis. If they continue to work, fine, otherwise they are likely to be turned into dummy units - after all, double heading was very common with Claytons. I must admit I still find Heljan's overzealous fidelity to the prototype's notorious unreliability amusing....even if I am saddled with 2 of the b***ers!

• Like 1

After reaching a point of thinking that it was about to be sorted I still have an initial release not fixed. The shop where I bought it from received no new chassis. I also know of others who took matters into their own hands and the loco disappeared. I too have thought that there may still be a few people who have not had the issue resolved. The shop still will not touch Heljan products (locos) despite now being part of a bigger empire.