Heljan class 17

M. Jones

• RMweb Premium

Well yes,under SOGA your contract is with the retailer, so it us up to them to repair /replace /refund the faulty goods,not Heljan; as you say the April semi-recall isn't relevant. Good luck!

edit: indeed,if there are to be no more replacement chassis manufactured then that puts the retailers in a very awkward position, legally committed to remedy the problem but precious little means of doing so.

• Like 1

I would have thought that this is a similar case to the one some time ago with the Bachmann A1. A problem is found. The manufacturer gives a cut of date before which he will provide remedial action. Other owners who do not take up the offer are left in limbo. However as the goods are clearly not of marketable quality they must insist that the retailer gives them a full refund. It has to be a refund as a repair is no longer possible, unless you are prepared to negotiate re accepting a remotoring by a suitably qualified independent party. The owner is then free to buy a new version from the latest batch. How the retailer gets his money back from Heljan is of no concern to the purchaser. I think that it is a bit unfair to have a go at Heljan as they seem to have been very open and honest about the problem.

Bernard

I would have thought that this is a similar case to the one some time ago with the Bachmann A1. A problem is found. The manufacturer gives a cut of date before which he will provide remedial action. Other owners who do not take up the offer are left in limbo. However as the goods are clearly not of marketable quality they must insist that the retailer gives them a full refund. It has to be a refund as a repair is no longer possible, unless you are prepared to negotiate re accepting a remotoring by a suitably qualified independent party. The owner is then free to buy a new version from the latest batch. How the retailer gets his money back from Heljan is of no concern to the purchaser.

Gents, it seems to us that Bernard's comments are considered, sensible and firmly rooted in law (Sale of Goods Act, as mentioned by Spamcan).

We obviously remain interested in anyone who gains resolution by whatever method, but please let's not have this thread descend into that all-too familiar downward spiral of unproductive recriminations.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I missed out on the first batch of replacement chassis, because I was silly enough to follow Heljan's advice when they said that only some chassis needed to be replaced, and mine hadn't died at the time. Subsequently, they did of course. My retailer has just advised me that a further batch of replacements should be available in the 2nd/3rd quarter of this year. Not sure if I want to wait that long, or perhaps go for a refund........????

Guest Max Stafford

If you've waited this long I don't suppose another couple of months will hurt. I still have three of my own and three 'contract' locos to do!

Dave.

Dave.

We were told by Heljan in the middle of last June, that if we dont advise them how many chassis we require by 24th of May, then we wouldnt be getting any replacements. Full Stop.

So how does that wok then ????

Not amused

Hi

Whilst we're always interested in information that will round out the picture (as opposed to unproductive, angry rants, that is), would you mind explaining who 'we' is in this context, please? Otherwise your post doesn't make as much sense as it could do.

Thanks.

We obviously remain interested in anyone who gains resolution by whatever method, but please let's not have this thread descend into that all-too familiar downward spiral of unproductive recriminations.

It is all to easy what ever the problem to bang on about rights etc when normaly a word with retailer/supplier normally sorts the problem out. Always try the polite approach first as I have found out going off at the deep end does not if ever work.

Also my local retailer was told to return all dud chassis to Heljan by May only to be told in August I think it was that there was no need to return the chassis?????

Such is life or Ce la Vie as some would say

Some might say that, others 'C'est la vie,' and still more of us 'what in the name of Clayton were those two posts about?'

If you peruse this thread, you'll see that there are several of us, Max Stafford and I included, who are basically keeping counsel until resolution is achieved by whatever method, as politely requested by helpful and sensible intervention by the moderation team. I fail to see how ill-constructed contributions like these recent pair, lacking in any specifics, take this thread any further forward. On the premise that it will probably now be locked, I shall communicate by PM with the other interested parties who find themselves in the same boat as I am.

• Like 1

Thanks Chard. We appreciate members' concerns over both these locos and the class 14s, and we will do our best to avoid locking topics. If unhelpful or ill-considered contributions threaten to overwhelm things, we won't hesitate to delete those particular posts without further notification.

Cheers.

Hi all,

I have just spoken to "The Signal Box", It appears that my details had been lost during replacement and it has been sat waiting for me to call!.

Now on it's way north to Cleethorpes!!

Ian

Oh by the way I must say thanks to the staff at The Signal Box" very helpful.

oh very sorry - didnt mean to upset anyone. I wont post anymore.

thank you

Suit yourself Tracks, but I don't see anyone getting upset apart from yourself. All I asked was that you identify whether you're a trader, so we could put your statement in context.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
Guest 47107

Just noticed Rails are now selling the original batch of Ribble Cement Claytons for £49.50 ! Presumably these are still with the unmodified chassis, but at that price it's worth taking the chance.

• 3 weeks later...

In chasing up what is happening about my two dead class 17's, I have just received the following from Howe's:

Sorry to hear of your problem with these models. Only a small percentage of the original batch of class 17's were affected. As you know, Heljan did issue replacement chassis's to retailers who requested them for the faulty models they had been advised about.

Since then, other customers have 'come forward' for replacements and as the original supply was exhausted Heljan have arranged to over-run the next production of this model. This will happen in September so the replacement chassis's should be available from then.

Regards,

Heljan UK

Class 17 Chassis: We here at DC kits were missed out on the supply of chassis for the Class 17 even though we ordered a good quantity in writing from Heljan in Denmark. Under pressure and me having a moan we eventually got supplied complete Rail Blue Class 17's, all of which we have supplied to customers in exchange for faulty chassis, it took far longer though than we hoped, fortunatly most of our customers were understanding, but not all. Charlie

• 1 month later...

Delighted to advise that Rails of Sheffield (usual disclaimer) and Heljan have delivered on their promise/ obligations and I collected my quartet of re-chassised locos at the weekend, several weeks earlier than expected.

Each was given a thrash on the test track, individually and in pairs, as that's how they'll be working the majority of the time, and the transformation from spluttering strugglers to sweet throaty runners was incredible, matching the rest of the fleet from the second set of releases. A huge thanks to the team there for their persistence in getting this sorted out, and in particular to Chris who reworked my locos in his spare time.

Another batch of replacement chassis are evidently now in the country, so it may be worth those still waiting for news to give their supplier(s) a shout.

• Like 2

Just received the following from my retailer:

The latest info we have is , Heljan are doing a further run of 17’s in Sept and we hope to have the work carried out at this time, your models are in Denmark awaiting

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am planning to fit replacement cast white metal buffers and trim the pegs so that they don't foul the chassis. My early production Heljan Clayton as supplied has one curved and one flat buffer at each end (Continental-style) and they just don't look right, especially as the loco has a Dave Alexander Clayton for company.

Finally got it done:

[Edit - To clarify, this avoids having to file notches in the chassis as the cast buffers are glued to the body with the pegs trimmed flush with the inside of the buffer beam. I don't use the screw coupling so the loss of sprung buffers isn't an issue. The original Heljan buffers aren't very realistic anyway.]

post-338-128195131125.jpg