Heljan class 17

M. Jones

I have to say that the model shop I have connections with, having tried to fix the Claytons as we tested them, decided to ask for and RECEIVED from Heljan a replacement chassis for every one originally ordered, so we were able to replace any chassis for a model sold in our shop if required. I regret to say that I suspect that some retailers did not ask for sufficient chassis, and as far as I remember this was a once only offer from Heljan. So if enough replacements were not asked for at the time the opportunity was lost.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have a D8568 in green off Ebay, haven't ran it yet as DCC needs removing, but is it likely to be OK or faulty?

If faulty how easy to repair?

• RMweb Premium

Purchased a couple or poorly Claytons cheap via Ebay and carried out the following:

• Filed a small amount from the worm gear bearings in the top of the gear towers. This reduced some of the gear-train drag.
  • Stripped the gear-trains, cleaned out the white grease & relubricated with a small amount of decent oil.
  • Removed the flywheels from the original burnt out motors. Drilled out the flywheel centre hole to 2mm in order to fit onto a replacement motor.
  • Replaced the motor with a Mashima 1624 can motor (Comet models £19.00). Fitted the original flywheels with loctite, making sure the overall motor/flywheel length is as per the original.

Result:

• Performance is still reduced when stone cold although nowhere near as badly affected as the with the original set up. I can only presume there is still a degree of resistance within the gearing.
  • Normal performance is achieved much more quickly than previously.
  • Performance is always very smooth. Top speed is more than acceptable.
  • The motor shows no signs whatsoever of overheating, even after prolonged roundy-round use of 1 hour or so.
  • Both are fitted with Hornby R8249 decoders with no ill effects to the motor or decoder.

Overall I am personally very happy with the outcome, especially as the total cost of each class 17 has been half the price of a new loco.

Purchased a couple or poorly Claytons cheap via Ebay and carried out the following:

• Filed a small amount from the worm gear bearings in the top of the gear towers. This reduced some of the gear-train drag.
  • Stripped the gear-trains, cleaned out the white grease & relubricated with a small amount of decent oil.
  • Removed the flywheels from the original burnt out motors. Drilled out the flywheel centre hole to 2mm in order to fit onto a replacement motor.
  • Replaced the motor with a Mashima 1624 can motor (Comet models £19.00). Fitted the original flywheels with loctite, making sure the overall motor/flywheel length is as per the original.

Result:

• Performance is still reduced when stone cold although nowhere near as badly affected as the with the original set up. I can only presume there is still a degree of resistance within the gearing.
  • Normal performance is achieved much more quickly than previously.
  • Performance is always very smooth. Top speed is more than acceptable.
  • The motor shows no signs whatsoever of overheating, even after prolonged roundy-round use of 1 hour or so.
  • Both are fitted with Hornby R8249 decoders with no ill effects to the motor or decoder.

Overall I am personally very happy with the outcome, especially as the total cost of each class 17 has been half the price of a new loco.

I carried out an almost identical repair some time ago to my Clayton [i think I used 1626 motor]. Interestingly mine is also quite slow when cold, but fine when 'warmed up'

Jeremy

I also tried a Mashima 1426 with similar results but I felt that, even when "warmed up" the top speed was too slow so I then fitted a High Level Lo-Rider bogie with excellent results. However, this is definitely not a mod to be undertaken lightly ubless you really like challenges.

Alan

Hi Guys.......I just bought a Mashima 1624 and am going to embark upon fitting this into the clayton.

All your instructions seem fine, ie drilling flywheels, overall length etc.,, but I am a little unclear as to how the motor lays in the chassis, i.e. are the two connectors to the side, i.e. horizontal.

Is there anything else I need to know about fitting the motor in this area.

Thanks.................Bob.

• Like 1

You really just need to tear it down and give it a good work over, see how the motor runs once you have the gear towers sorted. I didn't care for the motor in my copy, it was noisy...

Its running very well now, goes quite fast, but boy is it noisy! I noticed when I was rebuilding that the motor is very coggy indeed. Is it only a 3 pole?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, first post............ I bought an unmoded chassis off the 'bay' and have done the bush mod, taken the flanges of the bushes down to around the 0.25mm mark, but now when i run it it sounds horrendous. very pronounced gear grumble, and that was running it on my outdoor layout. I am wondering if the worm gear is now riding up the gear wheel. Anyone any ideas?? Ta all meister

Hi Meister,

Welcome!

The bush problem was/is only one of many including weird lubricant which stops being glue only above 70F and a useless motor. Any combination of snags can apply to any loco. Even the later models are very slow runners. As I hinted in #276 above, I found the only satisfactory solution to be a complete alternative bogie.

Good luck!

Alan

• RMweb Gold

In a fit of post Showcase Mojo returning I finally got round to fitting the replacement chassis to my Clayton today, it had been sat on the shelf for best part of two years.

A total rewire of the circuit board to remove all the suppression components, and cut two tracks to gain independant control of tail lights means I now have a working class 17 fitted with a Lenz silver. Only real issue is the headcode lights, as others have said, they really are awful aren't they? Has anyone come up with a satisfactory way of making the light more even across the whole headcode?

Andi

• RMweb Premium

What I did with my two was to glue the light so that it was pointing upwards from below the headcode, then fixed some tin foil in a U shape from the bottom of the light to the top of the headcode, partly to difuse it and partly to stop the light leaking out of the grills on the bonnet.

It's a bit fiddly but looks a whole lot better.

In a fit of post Showcase Mojo returning I finally got round to fitting the replacement chassis to my Clayton today, it had been sat on the shelf for best part of two years.

A total rewire of the circuit board to remove all the suppression components, and cut two tracks to gain independant control of tail lights means I now have a working class 17 fitted with a Lenz silver. Only real issue is the headcode lights, as others have said, they really are awful aren't they? Has anyone come up with a satisfactory way of making the light more even across the whole headcode?

Andi

Andi, I just mounted the light on a lump of blu tac, about 1 cm back from the headcode panel...perfect.

Bob

• Like 1

To sort out the lights on my Clayton first I had a go at sticking some five thou plasticard to the Heljan led housing after I’d cut the front from the housing.

Total failure as the light didn’t scatter through the plasticard as I’d hoped.

MkII version was to solder 4 leds in series to some copperclad. To fit in the already modded housing and it works a treat. No resistors required as the four leds work perfect at 12 volts (I’m DCC) Might be a bit dim under DC until full power is applied.

And before anybody says it… I know you shouldn’t series up leds but it ain’t going to explode and it works…

A picture says a thousand….

post-508-0-23468800-1339017193_thumb.jpg

And here are a few pics of my motor solution when it was in DC prototype mode. Works a treat… surprisingly… and clears the cab for a bit of detailing.

post-508-0-85234700-1339017341_thumb.jpg

post-508-0-47488000-1339017389_thumb.jpg

post-508-0-66420600-1339017412_thumb.jpg

Porcy

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Why did you have to post that.

I was quite happy to believe that I did not need a Clayton on a mid 1970s layout based in the Manchester area.

The RTC Clayton is now on my must have list!

Good Luck Andy...hope you find a good one.

It is a strange place to find a Clayton....I wonder how they found their way there..???

Bob

Edited by 250BOB

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...