Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Robatron86

I have been experimenting with some card kits for use as buildings. I bought a couple from Clever Models, a US Scalescenes, and I have been modifying one kit in particular for the main warehouse.

20150219_092717.jpg

20150219_092710.jpg

Still very much a work in progress, but let me know what you think.

• Like 3

That looks brilliant Rob. Have you tried CG textures for building? Dan recommended the site to me and its all I use for my building now. Its a site full of building textures so you can bash whatever building you need.

All the best,

Lloyd

CG Textures is a great site, but so is Clever Models.

The micro layout I've been working on is populated by nothing but Clever Models card kits.

The Cream City Tool Works kit they produce is versatile enough to populate an entire micro layout with.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Andrew, I will check him out.

I wasn't really happy with how my road looked, and I have been racking my brains for an alternative. The Smooth It system? Too messy. Polyfilla? Same issue. DAS clay? Too much required for the area, plus the added weight. Plain painted cardboard? Too plain looking with no texture.

I decided to try WS modeling sheets. I bought the 8 pack of 1/16th inch. Same stuff those polystyrene planes you could buy from corner shops are made from.

What do you think? I can carve potholes and cracks into it.

IMG_20150306_112918.jpg

• Like 1

Those roads look goooooooood. Can't wait to see the snow on this. :)

On a related note... not much US N scale for sale at the Mansfield show this year, but plenty of HO.

Rob, you're a bad influence on me:

20150307_133518_zpsbwz9yoqs.jpg

Haha! You're welcome Dan! I have the same GP40, although I couldn't leave it with the inaccurate number. My OCD got the better of me.

Thanks Lloyd. I will leave them as is I think.

Edited by Robatron86

That looks brilliant Rob. The ballasting looks absolutely spot on for the industrial area to me it seems like it needs a touch of green. Just an idea though.

Keep us posted,

Lloyd

Thanks for the kind words chaps.

There will be some green added when the ballasting has been completed.

I wouldn't worry Dan. This burst of activity will be the last one for a couple of weeks. Plenty of time to catch up!

Loving the video. Very smooth trackwork! :)

I wouldn't put too much green on if you are adding snow and ice - the cold would have killed off the grass, no?

I'm curious on the diamond crossing, and why it is where it is: I get that it looks cool and adds some interest to the layout - cos it really does and I do love me some diamond crossing, so don't take this the wrong way.

I guess I'm wondering if it's something like... that the center spur track belongs to another railroad, and the diamond crossing allows the ATSF to serve it's customers on both sides of the other railroad's trackage.

Or is there some other cool explanation I haven't considered?

Operational, I hadn't given it too much thought. I attached a rough scribble to explain how the rest of the line would have worked, how realistic it is I have little idea.

Note_060215_112847_1.jpg

I figured I could get away with it as many micro layouts have featured them.

In the layout world, space for a second point instead of the diamond would have made the 3rd siding too short. It's almost too short as it is.

So there we go. The question was valid, and I have no real answer! Haha!

• Like 1