Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Robatron86

I have nothing much to add, other than that this thread has inspired me to measure my sideboard (146x39cm...).

Not sure I'm going to be running my Warbonnet PA (the only rolling stock I own right now) on that kind of area, but thanks for planting that seed...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I do like the CSX paint schemes, and they are on my find list, if I'm not too busy stuffing my face in Denny's!

So the layout has been progressing steadily.

20150416_221154.jpg

A Walthers American Supply building kit has been butchered somewhat to become a low relief structure. The rest of the kit will be cannibalised to make other buildings. I have also got parts to make the overpass to hide the exit, namely Rix Iron Railings and some plastruct I beams. That should be completed by the end of next week hopefully. Looking after a 6 month old can considerably hinder your modelling!

• Like 4

The supply building looks right at home there Rob. Why is there a water tower on top of the building though? Is it to feed plumbing or machinery in the building?

Keep up your great work and all the best,

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd. I did a quick google search about the water tower as I wasn't 100% sure and I found the following info out:

How it works:

- A water tower is a simple device that uses gravity to provide water pressure.

- They provide water for domestic uses and fire supply.

- Most municipalities have tanks that can hold a day’s worth of water for their population.

- Many New York City buildings exceed the height the infrastructure’s water pressure can handle.

- Most structures taller than six stories need some sort of water tower and pump system of their own.

- Water is fed to buildings through pipes in the basement.

- Electric pumps push the water from the basement to roof.

- It takes 2-3 hours to fill the average 10,000-gallon tank.

- From the roof, gravity sends water to pipes throughout the building.

- As tenants use the water, the level in the tank goes down and, just like in a toilet, a ballcock lets more in.

I hope that helps

Well, I finished painting the main parts of the supply building last night

20150421_064114.jpg

The brick red will be toned down, but I'm not sure of the grey I have used. Any advice?

Edited by Robatron86
  • Like 2