Class 800 - Updates

So in order to keep to HST timings without the wires they will need to stick a Class 67 on the front. At least there are plenty to spare.

Geoff Endacott

Only if they run the 67 with its fuel tanks no more than half full, anymore than that and they are restricted to 100mph due to axle loading.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Premium

I was on 800-014 this afternoon on the 10car 1247 DID-PAD which I gather started life in Swansea. My first ride on one of these and I was very impressed by the seating. Whilst the seats couldn't ever be described IMO as "soft", the seat swab length suited my buttock-knee length very well [as a one-time helicopter & FW pilot, one gets to know what's important in a seat!]. Additionally, the upright gave probably the best lumbar lordosis support [i.e., fitted my spinal curve] that I have ever experienced on a train. Clearly someone [?Hitachi] has been doing some useful ergonomics research in designing these seat units.

Granted my body envelope won't be the same as too many folk's but I was rather pleased with the comfortable journey.

And they managed to design seats which were compliant with current regulations but aren't so tall that it makes the coach feel cramped which is a real novelty these days.

I’m not going to second guess the engineering/cost/other reasons for that change, but if the specification had been left as shown in Issue 5, perhaps some of the operating issues that are now being raised would have been reduced or eliminated.

Although meeting that specification might well have required above-floor diesels, in which case converting trains planned as electric-only to bi-mode as has been done might have been a bit trickier.

Only if they run the 67 with its fuel tanks no more than half full, anymore than that and they are restricted to 100mph due to axle loading.

Didn't Bulleid's Leader have that problem?

Although meeting that specification might well have required above-floor diesels, in which case converting trains planned as electric-only to bi-mode as has been done might have been a bit trickier.

The original plan for above-floor was to have a non-motored power car with the intention that these could be swapped out for the pantograph driving trailers we have on the 800's just now. The swapped out power cars could then either be extensively rebuilt, or redeployed. Down side is of course reduced passenger carrying capacity.

In theory, this route could still be pursued to "sort the problem" and you'd not need to dedicate an entire driving trailer to the size of engine/generator you'd require to top up the under floor engines' output. Can't see it actually happening mind.

• RMweb Premium

The original plan for above-floor was to have a non-motored power car with the intention that these could be swapped out for the pantograph driving trailers we have on the 800's just now. The swapped out power cars could then either be extensively rebuilt, or redeployed. Down side is of course reduced passenger carrying capacity.

In theory, this route could still be pursued to "sort the problem" and you'd not need to dedicate an entire driving trailer to the size of engine/generator you'd require to top up the under floor engines' output. Can't see it actually happening mind.

Maybe they could stick an extra diesel engine where the kitchens are now and tell first class passengers they'll have to bring sandwiches for breakfast. The needs of the many...

Edited by Coryton

1W14 and 1P25 are both showing as 800011 on diagram NP105

I travelled on this today (08.23 Ox-Worcester) and can  confirm it was 800 011...............I did take a couple of pictures at Worcester.

I can't say that I was impressed with the rock hard upright seats and the bogies seemed to be unhappy with some of the track. Marginally better than a Voyager and quieter but the HST ride back was much better.

Edited by BrushVeteran

• RMweb Premium

I travelled on this today (08.23 Ox-Worcester) and can can firm it was 800 011...............I did take a couple of pictures at Worcester.

I can't say that I was impressed with the rock hard upright seats and the bogies seemed to be unhappy with some of the track. Marginally better than a Voyager and quieter but the HST ride back was much better.

I'm not really surprised. In terms of the passenger environment, the only thing I'd really criticise is the harness of the seats. I didn't really notice anything about the ride, and I don't remember the AC being remarkably noisy either. And the seats being a little lower than in GWRs HSTs is a definite improvement

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm not really surprised. In terms of the passenger environment, the only thing I'd really criticise is the harness of the seats. I didn't really notice anything about the ride, and I don't remember the AC being remarkably noisy either. And the seats being a little lower than in GWRs HSTs is a definite improvement

Indeed. Most of the issues being reported here aren't likely to be that obvious to the general passenger, unless they get caught up in a failure.

I'd say the seats were more than a little lower than the HSTs (or just about any other modern train) though.

Or at any rate that whatever the difference in height is, it makes all the difference to the ambience.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It has been named Michael Bond on one end and Paddington Bear on the other end.

Geoff Endacott

Oh very nice.

Interesting that they are naming the end units on these things though.

I think in the past it's always been either locomotives/power cars, or whole multiple units (e.g. Voyagers, and Pendolinos?)

Here they are naming only the un-powered cars, though whoever writes their press releases doesn't seem to know that.

From the press release on naming 800 803 Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Victoria, "Each Intercity Express Train set will feature two dedications – one for each leading power car"

Not sure what the "leading" bit is about either. Surely one end car leads and one trails at a given time?

• RMweb Premium

For balance I'd like to see a comparison of the acceleration of the class 800 and HST when running on overhead electrical supply. I have anecdotal evidence suggesting that the performance of the HST if you try and connect it the wires is shocking. 

• Like 1

Viewed two arrivals from Didcot at Reading today both with pans up on arrival.

Then passed another 10 car near Cholsey with pans up so all looks good.

Various new signs enroute too including Simon's 'Class 800 Diesel' at Moreton cutting, and some strange signs with a black background and various configurations of white shapes shortly before, I'm sure someone knows what they mean.

Various new signs enroute too including Simon's 'Class 800 Diesel' at Moreton cutting, and some strange signs with a black background and various configurations of white shapes shortly before, I'm sure someone knows what they mean.

I think they are to indicate a Neutral section?

All the Black / White & Small Blue Signs are mine Rich and relate to APCO. I might be able to put up meanings for these signs, I just got to find out if it's allowable.

I think they are to indicate a Neutral section?

No, Neutral Section signs are black on white, power change-over signage are white on black.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 1

All the Black / White & Small Blue Signs are mine Rich and relate to APCO. I might be able to put up meanings for these signs, I just got to find out if it's allowable.

No, Neutral Section signs are black on white, power change-over signage are white on black.

Simon

You may have been beaten to it - http://www.railsigns.uk/sect18page3/sect18page3.html

As it is, signage across the natinal railway network is covered by either Railway Group Standards or Network Rail Standards. The former are certainly publicly accessible, and I am fairly sure the latter are - they are certainly in industry wide circulation.

Jim

You may have been beaten to it - http://www.railsigns.uk/sect18page3/sect18page3.html

As it is, signage across the natinal railway network is covered by either Railway Group Standards or Network Rail Standards. The former are certainly publicly accessible, and I am fairly sure the latter are - they are certainly in industry wide circulation.

Jim

How the hell as somebody got hold of that information, there are only a small selection of people that know the true meaning of these signs!

I'll put up the meanings tomorrow.

Simon

How the hell as somebody got hold of that information, there are only a small selection of people that know the true meaning of these signs!

I'll put up the meanings tomorrow.

Simon

Its probably in the AC section of the rule book which is publicly available, it isnt a trade secret!

I do like the mock indignation that somebody has got hold of the information and made it public, and then a statement that you will make it public tomorrow!

It does sound a bit of sour grapes that somebody has stolen your thunder!

Edit-

It is in the AC section and diagram AC.2 on page 46 (page 48 on the online version) has the information.

Page 40 (42 on the online version) is quite interesting as well, I wondered what they were for.

https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/rulebooks/GERT8000-AC%20Iss%204.pdf

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1