Class 800 - Updates

• RMweb Gold

On 13th September 2023 801213 departs from York with 1E12, Edinburgh to London Kings Cross.

8012131E12York13092023-RMweb.jpg.14bd9ca5e49195f551b7def68a26bcc6.jpg

Also on 13th September 2023, 801204 ready to form 1Y86, York to London Kings Cross...

8012041Y86York130920231-RMweb.jpg.f483f4a1968d10bdeb453b617aaf857e.jpg

...as 800103 calls at the adjacent platform with 1E13, Inverness to London Kings Cross.  

8012041Y868001031E13York13092023-RMweb.jpg.7c14c739b6da4cf2e11e202ab6ad5169.jpg

Lumo 803004 speeds through York towards Holgate Junction with 1E84, Edinburgh to London Kings Cross.

8030041E84York130920231-RMweb.jpg.75e7bba8886ad533e84a09a40ae35b47.jpg

8030041E84York130920232-RMweb.jpg.0a07765e6a9d8de35c420f503fa3a9ba.jpg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

5 car IET sets are now very much the core of the Cornish mainline regular interval service and they seem to be popular with good timekeeping when the situation east of Plymouth/Exeter allows.  Shame about the demise of the 2+4 HST 'Castles' but the 80X are a far better replacement with better onboard facilities.  I wonder if anybody ever thought an IET would call at Menheniot back when they were conceived?

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Lumo livery is a nice shade of blue, but like the IMO dull GWR livery, does nothing for the stylish lines of the trains. 

I wonder what they would look like in the original HST blue / yellow? Most modern livieries are to my mind fussy marketing exercises, in that respect the LUMO plain blue is actually quite nice, GWR green nice and plain but too dark, TPE looks like a pop-art explosion. LNER is a hangover from Virgin livery isn't it? Too hung up on red and wavy lines (GNER blue wasn't bad). 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, rodent279 said:

I reckon Midland Pullman livery would suit them well.

The original Nanking Blue? I wonder how well that would translate to the 800s, as I don't think it sits as well on the HST. The LUMO blue isnt far off? Perhaps I'm too conditioned to BR(S) plain green and the ensuing plain blue from my formative years :-)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

TransPennine Express 802216 speeds through Mirfield on 29th December 2023 with 1P19, Liverpool Lime Street to Newcastle.

8022161P19Mirfield291220231-RMweb.jpg.9e3b0c0b2096ec5d3ff8a278784dabe1.jpg

On the same date, in rare sunshine as that's been in short supply these past days, 802213 heads west approaching Mirfield with 9M28, Newcastle to Liverpool Lime Street.

8022139M28Mirfield291220232-RMweb.jpg.11f12f750abf77a023507a65e731db54.jpg

Evidence of engineering work all around, both heavy plant and materials, as the three lines here are scheduled to be closed from approximately 23.00 tonight until around 05.00 on 2nd January 2024.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
On 26/09/2023 at 18:35, The Stationmaster said:

5 car IET sets are now very much the core of the Cornish mainline regular interval service and they seem to be popular with good timekeeping when the situation east of Plymouth/Exeter allows.  Shame about the demise of the 2+4 HST 'Castles' but the 80X are a far better replacement with better onboard facilities.  I wonder if anybody ever thought an IET would call at Menheniot back when they were conceived?

Harking back to these comments three months into the Good Lady’s long-distance commuting. She travels weekly between Penzance, Paddington and back. 

Almost all of those trains she travels on are 9-car sets. The 17.03 down appears to be booked for two 5-car units with only the front one venturing beyond Plymouth. A 9-minute stop there is the giveaway. Trains not booked to split or attach are given 3-4 minutes. But it has always turned up as 9 cars at Penzance. 

These things are unloved to say the least. Dr SWMBO carries a small cushion as the seats are too hard. She can tell the difference between 800 and 802 seating by her comfort - or lack of it - but neither is suitable for 5 ½ hour journeys. 

Many “local” trains are now formed of 5-car sets. They are too long for some platforms at the unattended smaller stations but do at least provide enough accommodation.  But locals loathe them. Hard seats, huge gaps between platforms and trains, frequently late and - crucially in the light of the quoted post - they are gutless on diesel and lose time. 

Dr. SWMBO also finds them slow and unable to regain time. An extra minute taken at just half the stops through Cornwall is not uncommon. Folks struggling to board or alight is a common cause for delay.  Arriving at Plymouth 10-15 minutes down assures of a late arrival in London because more time will be lost along the way. 

Down trains seldom seem to get away on time, lose time to Reading, lose a lot more to Taunton and then drop ever more minutes to Penzance. There is just no power available to recover from delays and even the best sets seem to lose time through Cornwall. 

It is frustrating to have to complete Delay Repay claims for almost every trip but she does. Only one trip in three months has arrived less than 15 minutes late and not triggered a claim. Not a good record at all. Three journeys have ended up over an hour late triggering a 100% refund. 

And there is usually no trolley service meaning that (unless you burden yourself with more baggage) there is nothing on offer to eat or drink. Not even a bottle of water. 

These trains are not fit for the purpose they are applied to. And they fall woefully short of reasonable customer expectations.  

It is scant compensation that Dr SWMBO and many others are not paying the full asking price for their journeys. It will be hurting GWR in their pockets paying all these claims. And it costs ridiculous and unnecessary sums to pay legal teams to argue and settle claims between the disparate parts of “The Railway”. 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I usually catch the 09:15 PLY ex 07:10 ex PNZ, it's usually running late after SER and tends to lose more as it comes up through Cornwall, sometimes with some smart work at Plymouth we get an on time departure, but not always and rarely make up time, especially if there are any TSRs en route.

The last time I caught it our train was 10 cars sitting in platform 5 and the 5 car PNZ portion came in on ^ and they had to de-train and cross the platform, with all their kit, utter chaos, 29 minutes late at RDG, my destination.

As Gwiwer, above says, down trains rarely leave PAD on time and continue to lose more, even on the juice! By the time they get to RDG.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Same for me now I’m looking back at it. They show fine on my phone but when I upload them they always come up black. Not sure why

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

TransPennine Express 802204 sweeps through Deighton with a service from Liverpool Lime Street to Newcastle.

8022041P21Deighton09012024-RMweb.jpg.e5fe363ed815afeb838259dc7496a6ee.jpg

This view showing evidence of Transpennine Route Upgrade work that's currently in progress.  A site meeting was also underway.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, 4630 said:

TransPennine Express 802204 sweeps through Deighton with a service from Liverpool Lime Street to Newcastle.

8022041P21Deighton09012024-RMweb.jpg.e5fe363ed815afeb838259dc7496a6ee.jpg

This view showing evidence of Transpennine Route Upgrade work that's currently in progress.  A site meeting was also underway.

I take it that the reinstated lines are going through the cutting where the digger is, rather than on the other side of the station?

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, 62613 said:

I take it that the reinstated lines are going through the cutting where the digger is, rather than on the other side of the station?

Not exactly.

As you may know, in steam days the formation at this point was wide enough for four tracks, subsequently rationalised to the current two.  The existing Deighton station being a much later addition, opening on 26th April 1982.  

From the plans it seems as though the cutting slope will be reprofiled allowing the existing Up and Down Huddersfield to be slewed.  They will then become the Up and Down Slow.

With the additional width to the formation thereby created, the new Up and Down Fast will be constructed on the left and through what is currently platform 2.

A new station will be constructed, serving only the two slow lines and although mostly on the existing site, the 'footprint' will be slightly further towards Huddersfield. 

The plans are available through the Transport & Works Application documents available on the Transpennine Route Upgrade website here;

https://thetrupgrade.co.uk

• Informative/Useful 3