Class 800 - Updates

I do like the mock indignation that somebody has got hold of the information and made it public, and then a statement that you will make it public tomorrow!

I see what you mean, but I don't like to release / confirm information until I know that it is in the public domain.

It does sound a bit of sour grapes that somebody has stolen your thunder!

Yeah, just a little bit :) :P

The signs have two functions, one is to instruct the driver as to the action if undertaking a Manual Power Change-Over (MPCO) and two to give a visual aid to the driver to help them observe the actions of the train when undertaking an Automatic Power Change-Over (APCO). I'll only put up the MPCO meaning as the APCO meanings will give people a little bit too much information on the workings of the APCO system.

post-7271-0-27073800-1515747031.jpg 'Warning of Traction Change-Over'

post-7271-0-65669200-1515746480.jpg 'Drivers of Class 80x units to press 'Diesel Button' when nose of train reaches this point'

post-7271-0-38159200-1515746474.jpg 'Pantographs of Class 80x units to be lowered by time of nose of train reaching this point. If not, brake to a stand immediately'

post-7271-0-82265700-1515746468.jpg 'Drivers of Class 80x units to press 'Electric' Button after nose of train reaches this point'

post-7271-0-59669500-1515747027.jpg 'Drivers of Class 80x units not to press 'Electric' Button at Linespeed after nose of train reaches this point'

Simon

Is this one because the pantograph could possibly damage the wires if raised too late/after that sign?

Basically yes, it marks the end of the Safe Pan Raising Area, after which there is an OLE Overlap which is not safe to raise a pan into at line speed regularly.

Simon

I complied this list via various sources of information. It might be of interest for modellers. I find it interesting. GWR only. As only 800101 is under 'Hitachi Test Unit, various location' for East Coast. (Well 801201 is Static Testing Newton Aycliffe, 801101 & 102 are Hitachi Commissioning, Doncaster/ instore)

The fun is where has 802003 got to. It was due for delivery to Doncaster in December gone. 

800/0 Status update. 13/01/18 

001-004 - Hitachi Test Units, various locations.

005/006/008-023 - GWR Passenger Service. Total available units: 18 for a required 16 daily (from 15/01/18). 

024/025 - Agility Trains West Acceptance/Mileage, Bristol.

026-031/033 - Hitachi Commissioning, Doncaster.

007/032/034-036 - Hitachi Static Testing, Newton Aycliffe (only 007 In Build).

800/3 Status update. 13/01/18 

301 - Unknown - Tees Docks?

302 - Hitachi Test Unit, various locations.

303 - Hitachi Commissioning, Doncaster.

304/305 - Hitachi Static Testing, Newton Aycliffe.

306-321 - Hitachi In Build, Newton Aycliffe 

802/0 Status update. 13/01/18 

001-002 - Hitachi Test Units, various locations.

003 - Delivery was due 12/17

004-022 - Hitachi In Build, Pistoia, Italy (004-007 potentially Static Testing Pistoia, Italy)

802/1 Status update. 13/01/18 

101 - Hitachi Test Unit, various locations.

102-114 - Hitachi In Build, Pistoia, Italy

Note. Various locations includes Doncaster, North Pole and Bristol. 800/0 home base is Bristol. 800/3 & 802s is North Pole.

Edited by 159220

So, if I read that correctly, in summary all 36 of the 5-car 800/0 have now been built, with half of them (18) already in service with GWR.

Only a few of the 9-car 800/3 for GWR have been built, but are not yet in service.

The same for the 5 & 9-car 802's for GWR.

Both of these are at various stages of build in the Newton Aycliffe and Pistoia assembly plants.

So, if I read that correctly, in summary all 36 of the 5-car 800/0 have now been built, with half of them (18) already in service with GWR.

Only a few of the 9-car 800/3 for GWR have been built, but are not yet in service.

The same for the 5 & 9-car 802's for GWR.

Both of these are at various stages of build in the Newton Aycliffe and Pistoia assembly plants.

Glad the list is useful. Hornby take note. No 003/004 in service!

Yep, all 36 of the 800/0 are built (well, 007 is still separate coaches, waiting for confirmation the damaged body car has now been replaced/delivered).

Of course 001-004 shall be last into service, seeing they still have test equipment fitted.

I suspect 800306 shall be on static testing and perhaps 800307. They tend to hide inside the factory in the static testing shed for a few weeks once their formation is formed.

I am desperately trying to get a contact in Italy so we can have some understanding of the stages there. The 802/0 are first to be built, before turning attention to the 802/1. 802003 bodies were completed in Japan and shipped to Italy. 004 upwards are true flat pack builds.

The chap who said why not IET sign? Simply because they are class 800series trains on TOPs. It is GWR who calls them IET (Virgin Stagecoach call them Azuma)

Edited by 159220
  • Like 1

Just wondering why the signage is 80x rather than IET.

IET is just a name given to the DfT inspired original build -ie class 800 & 801. Hitachi use the designation AT300 for the ‘improved’ version being sold to other operators (class 802). Virgin use Azuma as their train brand rather than IET.

NR /TOPS classify each as an 80x so makes more sense than IET as it’s constant across fleets and operators.

IET is just a name given to the DfT inspired original build -ie class 800 & 801. Hitachi use the designation AT300 for the ‘improved’ version being sold to other operators (class 802). Virgin use Azuma as their train brand rather than IET.

NR /TOPS classify each as an 80x so makes more sense than IET as it’s constant across fleets and operators.

And consistent with all other class specific signage on the railway, which uses the TOPS designations, with a few exceptions where there this is impractical and there is a simple alternative, eg HST and Sprinter.

Jim

Has 800019 appeared in traffic yet? The last I heard it was a source of spares at North Pole.

Geoff Endacott

My information suggests it has been delivered to Agility West/GWR for service. Along with 800024. Gladly be proven wrong. Don’t worry, won’t ask you for your industry source.

GWR were the first to use the term Intercity Express Train, delivered under the Intercity Express Programme, managed on the GW by Agility Trains West, leases out to GWR. The IEP named them the 800 series. Agility Trains financed the trains for the programme, having won the IEP tender, which Hitachi have built the AT300 for (formerly called during early development the Super Express Train).

The AT300 range, in Hitachis portfolio also covers the class 395.

Shall be interesting what term sticks. For me, Class 800/0 etc is more than sufficient. Certainly all the terminology can be rather complex. Least with TOPS you know where you stand.

• Like 1

Just wondering why the signage is 80x rather than IET.

Basically, as other people's have been said, the standard convention is to use the TOPS code, and seen as the signs apply to the Class 800's and 802's, it was easier to write 80X instead. Of course, if in the near future there are Class 81x units which can convert (or indeed Class 80x units which can't convert), then we'll have to look at the signs again.

We can't use commercial terms / names for when naming stuff on NR (hence you'll never see North Pole Depot officially referred to as the 'Hitachi Depot' or similar), therefore we can't use IET or SET.

Simon

We can't use commercial terms / names for when naming stuff on NR (hence you'll never see North Pole Depot officially referred to as the 'Hitachi Depot' or similar), therefore we can't use IET or SET.

Funnily though Simon, various NR documents in the recent past, such as the NR route studies and other docs related to the (then) future arrival of the Class 800 series, have referred to the "SET".

Basically, as other people's have been said, the standard convention is to use the TOPS code, and seen as the signs apply to the Class 800's and 802's, it was easier to write 80X instead. Of course, if in the near future there are Class 81x units which can convert (or indeed Class 80x units which can't convert), then we'll have to look at the signs again.

Simon

There are already 80xs which can't switch - 801s. Though not relevant to the GWML as they will be ECML only. Though presumably similar signs will be used at Temple Hirst Junction and the various places that TPE will branch off the ECML in due course.

Funnily though Simon, various NR documents in the recent past, such as the NR route studies and other docs related to the (then) future arrival of the Class 800 series, have referred to the "SET".

Sorry, I meant in the infrastructure, such as signs, signalling screens / plans or sectional appendix.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

Most of us refer to them as Super Hitachi Intercity Trains, you can work the short version out yourselves!  :rtfm:

I cannot respect anyone who uses such foul or derogatory language. If you do not have something insightful to add to the discussion, do not post. 

I cannot respect anyone who uses such foul or derogatory language. If you do not have something insightful to add to the discussion, do not post. 

Well excuse me for posting such profanity on your thread/forum!

I shall no longer post on a thread about a train I will shortly be learning to drive!

I cannot respect anyone who has such hyper-delicate sensibilities. We are no longer living in 1950s drawing rooms. If you’re just going to criticise people with different sensibilities please (sic) do not post.

Paul

• Like 1