Craftsman models

col_kilgore

Hi everyone , does anybody know if Craftsman Models are still trading as of today ?

I placed an order before the New Year , still not received . I tried ringing the number on their website and left several messages , no reply , found out today they have a new number which is not displayed on their main web page only right at the bottom of their catalogue page . Anyway tried this number and got the dreaded " This number has not been recognised " .

Have also emailed several addresses from their pages , still waiting for a reply , so basically spent money and it seems to have gone up the chimney.

Any news would be appreciated.

Hi everyone , does anybody know if Craftsman Models are still trading as of today ?

I placed an order before the New Year , still not received . I tried ringing the number on their website and left several messages , no reply , found out today they have a new number which is not displayed on their main web page only right at the bottom of their catalogue page . Anyway tried this number and got the dreaded " This number has not been recognised " .

Have also emailed several addresses from their pages , still waiting for a reply , so basically spent money and it seems to have gone up the chimney.

Any news would be appreciated.

In the old days mail order always used to say "allow 30 days....." these days we get worked up if delivery is not immediate.  So would you care to put a date on "before the new year".  I have to say i for one have only been back at work since Monday having been off since the 23rd.  So I would personally not be fretting about orders unless the cash was taken in the first week of December.

indeed the catalogue is dated January 2015 and the wording is: "From November 2014 Craftsman Models new phone number: 01619029645 davidjones5676@outlook.com"  So I would see that as some positive signs.

Edited by Crantock

This is where you make me look foolish  :stinker: but it was the 31st  . 

Reading what you have said makes sense and puts it in perspective , its just what with the wrong phone numbers being displayed on the site and the other number not working  I got a little peeved .

Maybe its just we're used nowadays to instant service ( or expect it ! ) , perhaps if this is the case they could have put a notice saying orders will not be despatched until such & such.

Patience it seems is a virtue.  

• 2 weeks later...

If it's of any help, Howes of Kidlington say this on their website about Craftsman

"Due to a change of ownership (Jan 2015) we are uncertain about the future supply of Craftsman products."

I do wish that these smaller companies could get their act together in one respect and that is if they are not trading- or there are unusual delays (I am not saying this applies to Craftsman) then it should say so on the website. Likewise, if they do not accept incoming 'phone calls then they should state that (some of these companies are one man, part time cottage businesses- if they SAY that, then people will understand).

It is not proper to take someone's credit card details and then give them no indication of when/if their order will be processed.

I don't know what this Mr Jones intends for Craftsman, but as an example take Shawplan- the new owner has turned an "OK" range into a brilliant one, so it CAN be done. But having a "not recognised" number on a website last updated in 2009 is just not going to send out the right signals about your intent.

Without wishing to mention every company in this niche- take Hurst or A1. Both still advertise being open for business and taking payments. I wouldn't try either- would YOU? (this is not to imply any foul practice, especially with Mr Hurst whom I've met- only to say that I have no confidence in their business- if you've stopped then STOP ADVERTISING items for sale... if indeed they have.)

Edited by Derekstuart

I placed an order 9th jan, via paypal and it states "unclaimed" but no response by email or phone and so reported to paypal along with website. would be a shame for paypal to revoke their paypal status as fraudulent which was not the aim , but at least the money will be refunded. 

I placed an order 9th jan, via paypal and it states "unclaimed" but no response by email or phone and so reported to paypal along with website. would be a shame for paypal to revoke their paypal status as fraudulent which was not the aim , but at least the money will be refunded. 

quick update, paypal refund in progress and recipient is shown as unregistered, which I think means that the account isn't properly even set up as a merchant account or processes a lot of funds. Guess its best to use paypal for payment wherever possible

• RMweb Gold

I sincerely hope they continue to trade. I have fond memories of being one of the first to offer kits to detail and modify RTR diesels. I made my first 25/2 and class 24 converted from Hornby 25s back in the 1980s, and they make a nice range of detailing bits in white metal.

Neil

I sincerely hope they continue to trade. I have fond memories of being one of the first to offer kits to detail and modify RTR diesels. I made my first 25/2 and class 24 converted from Hornby 25s back in the 1980s, and they make a nice range of detailing bits in white metal.

Neil

I don't think there can be many modellers who haven't encountered Craftsman, and the company has been on the go for many years now. I have heard that this David Jones is a really decent bloke, but that he tends to take on more projects than his time allows.

These small cottage businesses (A1, Hurst, Craftsman etc) have all generated real respect from modellers over the years and it is such as shame to see that they lose their credibility. If they are ceasing trading then they should withdraw their website, thank people for their custom etc. They can then retire/move on/ start something new with their heads held high.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this and an update of sorts .

The company or somebody representing the company did get back to us eventually regarding my order but spoke to my partner , the phone number on their front page must be going somewhere because that's where we left our messages and where they got my partners mobile number , as for the supposed new number on the catalogue page that's is still not working as I have just literally rang it as I'm typing.

Anyway she was told that the order would be despatched when stock has been delivered ??? ( I thought they made their own stock ??? ) and various apologies were given .

That was two weeks ago and the order still has not arrived .

Very disappointed with all this mucking about and the very shoddy business practice on display.

After checking my paypal account I have found a different email addressI presume for the previous owner , which is still on their paypal account ,  I have mailed that one and await a response.

C-G

Is this something that you really cannot source from another company? Many shops still have some Craftsman bits in stock. Perhaps if you tell us what it is someone might be able to help?

Or if you think it's a line that might be popular, why not approach PH Designs or Shawplan- both of which seem to not only be interested in producing good quality work, but also in good customer service (at the very least I expect they would give a straight "no" if it's something they cannot help with.)

I for one will not part with money to a company that cannot even do me the courtesy of being straight with me.

The company or somebody representing the company did get back to us eventually regarding my order but spoke to my partner , the phone number on their front page must be going somewhere because that's where we left our messages and where they got my partners mobile number , as for the supposed new number on the catalogue page that's is still not working as I have just literally rang it as I'm typing.

Anyway she was told that the order would be despatched when stock has been delivered ??? ( I thought they made their own stock ??? ) and various apologies were given .

Very disappointed with all this mucking about and the very shoddy business practice on display.

After checking my paypal account I have found a different email addressI presume for the previous owner , which is still on their paypal account ,  I have mailed that one and await a response.

I know nothing about the happenings with Craftsman, but if the people who have spoken to you are new owners of the business, is it not possible that they mean the stock is being delivered from the previous owner? 

Phil

PGC

Quite frankly it doesn't matter what the issue is. It is not reasonable to take money from someone on a vague promise of "when we receive the stock". UNLESS that is made clear at the time of sale, as many companies do.

Look at companies such as Ultrascale- you can wait SIX MONTHS (or if you're smart you can get them next day from Alan Gibson!) but that is something that they make perfectly clear and they seem to stick to their stated deadlines. A company such as Craftsman saying "when we get the stock" isn't reasonable.

If I were the owner of CM I think I'd have at least put a statement on here or even their website.

C-G

Is this something that you really cannot source from another company? Many shops still have some Craftsman bits in stock. Perhaps if you tell us what it is someone might be able to help?

Or if you think it's a line that might be popular, why not approach PH Designs or Shawplan- both of which seem to not only be interested in producing good quality work, but also in good customer service (at the very least I expect they would give a straight "no" if it's something they cannot help with.)

I for one will not part with money to a company that cannot even do me the courtesy of being straight with me.

Hi ,the parts I ordered were Hornby Class 25 and the Joueff  Class 40 detailing kits.

I'm sure that I'm able to get them somewhere else its just that obviously I'm in limbo at the moment , for all I know they could be in the post tonight so dont want to order alternatives until I know either way.

PGC

Quite frankly it doesn't matter what the issue is. It is not reasonable to take money from someone on a vague promise of "when we receive the stock". UNLESS that is made clear at the time of sale, as many companies do.

Look at companies such as Ultrascale- you can wait SIX MONTHS (or if you're smart you can get them next day from Alan Gibson!) but that is something that they make perfectly clear and they seem to stick to their stated deadlines. A company such as Craftsman saying "when we get the stock" isn't reasonable.

If I were the owner of CM I think I'd have at least put a statement on here or even their website.

You don't know the whole story, either from the customers perspective or from the suppliers, so it is grossly wrong that you make such statements.

I would politely suggest you keep your comments to yourself and let's hope that whatever the problems are can be resolved soon.

The reference to stock could mean that they were waiting for items from component suppliers, e.g. etches. Only one, AFAIK, supplier makes their etches and they are in 7mm. The most popular etcher for model railway suppliers usually takes 6 weeks to turn order round.

However, it should be made clear if it may take time to supply listed products. Even then, when a supplier provides that information on their website, some people don't see/read it.

What is also very poor is when a company has a "live availability" website that shows items in stock, takes an order and accepts payment but nothing arrives for four weeks (and counting).  

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

Having had a few private e-mails and PM's on here over the last couple of days, i need to re-confirm that i am NOT the Dave Jones mentioned as the person at Craftsmen Models.

Neither DJModels nor myself has any affiliation in any regard to Craftsmen Models.

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Right an update .

I have had a full refund through PAYPAL , I quote

" Refund as requested due to non-supply by new owner of business. All monies received up to 1st January held in separate account for such situation."

This was after I emailed Ian Hayman as he was shown as the payee on my paypal order . I would recommend anybody who has payed through paypal after the first of Jan check the details of their order and proceed as you see fit.

This is my own personal opinion ( of which I am entitled ) but I would warn people not to use this company as of now , yes maybe I dont know all the details and there may be other issues with the company but at the end of the day the company is still trading and taking money and it would seem people are getting their fingers burnt.