Craftsman models

col_kilgore

might be of interest .... I just received a reply to an e-mail from Dave at Craftsman

On 6 Feb 2016, at 18:43, David Jones <davidjones5676@outlook.com> wrote:

Hi Tim 

Thank You for your enquire, yes I am still in business but having just come out of hospital I am a bit behind with the orders, so would wait a few weeks to order.

All the best.

David

• 4 months later...

Looks like the sorry saga continues. Ordered online at the beginning of June, immediate payment taken by Paypal. No order confirmation, therefore no order number let alone tracking info. Emailed both addresses shown on web page. No response. No response to phone number....

Has anybody successfully ordered from Craftsman Models in the recent past?

Sadly sounds like yet another nail in the coffin of the small cottage suppliers general reputation....

Regards

Simon

Sadly sounds like yet another nail in the coffin of the small cottage suppliers general reputation....

Regards

Simon

I think it would be unfair to tar all the small suppliers with the same brush.

Most do an excellent job and are let down by three or four others. You have only to look through the "Small Suppliers" section of RMweb to see who they are.

One common factor is that they are usually people who have "taken over" other products/ranges and appear to have bitten off more than they can chew. Optimism is a great asset but when matched to a lack of expertise - be it in the manufacturing or sales/marketing field - it is a recipe for major problems. Sometimes the new owner blames the seller/previous owner for his misfortunes. While this may be occasionally true in part, it is usually only an excuse for their own ineptitude.

I ordered from them late April after chasing like you did I logged a PayPal claim to get the money back

If they are no longer trading makes you wonder why they can't add a note to the home page of the website

It's a shame as they did some good stuff

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It seems reading this like Craftsman appears like some other companies to have sadly receded into the background (hopefully not forever) but is there a demand for their kits, the 1f for example is done by Trevor Cousens, what though of the 1P is there a demand for it, if it was available elsewhere would we buy it from that source?

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry to drag up an old topic, I am willing to take a chance and place a (small) order for a Craftsman detailing kit but I cannot for the life of me find their website.

Anyone point me in the right direction please?

• RMweb Gold

As far as I'm aware the website has been taken down for a while it looks like this is another one man band company that's finally gone for good.

One has to wonder that some folks who have bought out small 'cottage industry' producers didn't realize just what they were taking on. I have a feeling that illness may have had something to do with it. It certainly did on other failures.

Ivan (Horsetan) posted earlier in this thread.

"For past examples, see:

- Centre Models
- Impetus
- MTK / NNK
- Sharman Wheels
- DMR Models
- Modelex

For examples of the "lack of communication" category, see:

Coopercraft / Blacksmith / Slaters"

The last four l think were taken over by 'Precision/Phoenix Paints' so there is some hope there maybe.

• RMweb Premium

- Modelex

Depends which part of Modelex you are talking about. Pat Ryan is still in business and one of our club members spoke to him earlier in the week about repair or replacement of one of his controllers that has given good service for many years on our 'Duffield' layout (as seen in the latest BRM) but is no longer putting out 12 volts . . . . .

http://www.modelexmodelrailways.co.uk/

However if you want the Churchward range that was previously with Modelex, this is now with Phoenix Precision

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/churchward

• RMweb Premium

In which case I will consider Craftsman dead and buried sadly.  Cut my teeth in detailing RTR back in the early 1990's using their kits on old second hand Lima 33's et-al. Will try and scratch together bits for the Hornby Railroad Warship that has just landed on my desk.  The Craftsman kit included etched window frames for the bodysides if I recall.

• 9 months later...

In which case I will consider Craftsman dead and buried sadly.  Cut my teeth in detailing RTR back in the early 1990's using their kits on old second hand Lima 33's et-al. Will try and scratch together bits for the Hornby Railroad Warship that has just landed on my desk.  The Craftsman kit included etched window frames for the bodysides if I recall.

Try doing a 'Craftsman' search here - http://www.normanwisenden.co.uk/search.asp ; a rather random selection, but some useful items pop up.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good morning. Are Craftsman loco kits any good to purchase if they come up cheap enough, or are they difficult to put together/incorrect dimensions etc? I have my eye on one dating from the 90's.

Good morning. Are Craftsman loco kits any good to purchase if they come up cheap enough, or are they difficult to put together/incorrect dimensions etc? I have my eye on one dating from the 90's.

The ones I’ve built (C12 and A5) were very nice to put together. State of the art in the 70s and early 80s, they’d matured into the ‘Railroad’ equivalent of etched kits by the 1990s. Dimensionally they were pretty accurate and very easy to put together, they were great kits for beginners to brass. Parts were pre-shaped and rolled, later ones had nickel silver chassis.

They were very amenable to upgrading and extra detail, the only downside is the 1970s drivetrain, adequate but could be challenging to upgrade to more modern equivalents.

Thanks for that - It states to use an X04 motor which I assume is what they used in older Hornby models? 

Ian

If it has an etched chassis go for a modern can motor, preferably with a High Level gear box, the X04 is an old style 3 pole motor, not very responsive with modern controllers

The one I was looking at has gone out of my reach financially. I will keep looking though - you never know, one might turn up.

Ian

Given its got a set of wheels which are worth about £30, Motor £15 and gears £5 at new prices and kits of the similar nature  are about £90 new its still going for a cheap price. The problem for getting a keen price is that this lot is well presented, in the correct section, well titled lot, decent description of all parts included and excellent set of photos, I guess will go for £80 or £90 

A good example of how to present an item for sale

• RMweb Gold

You worked out I was after the Midland 1P kit!!!!! I did think that £45 was too good to be true and that the bids would come in very late in the day - It has zero bids right up until this morning and ends later tonight.  I was hopeful not too many people were watching it, but it appears the model railway hobby isnt dying off at all, which means competition is high for these type of models that come on the market. I will watch it and see what it goes for and re-adjust my expectations for the future.