NHY 581

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Oh, that's interesting, I was sure it was you, but no matter.

Unfortunately, it would take an excessive amount of time to trawl through all the threads that I have inhabited, in order to possibly locate the post in question, indeed, I might not even find it at all. In all honesty, this is time that would be far more productively spent contemplating the corporeal significance and essence of Art, darling.

So I shall go and have a herbal tea.

Just to help you narrow it down Tim, it wasn't me either...

Al.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

So now I don't know if I'm helpful or not - thanks for that... :banghead:

Is that just your way of saying that you want me to confirm or deny that it may or may not have been you or someone else giving or not giving such advice or non-advice as the case may or may not be?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 04/07/2021 at 14:23, Stubby47 said:

In my case, no-one cares if the resulting chimney is wonky !

You must see Stubby is being most helpful and giving solace to us lesser mortals who hardly know one end of a scalpel from the other (and have the scars to prove it!) 

In the case of wonky chimneys, there are always little groups,  behind closed doors, who utter "tut-tut" having never tackled the said operation.

Stubby is to be praised for opening himself to criticism,  I have looked back at some of his work and failed to find a Wonky Chimney!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I have a simple solution to waterslide transfers now, thanks to Stubby, in fact, who's idea it was originally, I believe (certainly the first time I saw it was in a post from him fairly recently) and I've used it recently in a number of departmental wagon builds.

1) Spray wagon base colour

2) Brush-paint a small amount of Klear on the area to take the transfers and allow to set (I leave it overnight)

3) Apply waterslide transfers (in my case the excellent Cambridge Custom Transfers) and allow to set overnight (as per their recommendation)

4) Brush another coat of Klear over the top of the now set transfers and allow to harden (again, I leave it overnight)

5) Spray whole wagon body with Humbrol Matt Acrylic Varnish (this being your most excellent suggestion, my dear Mr Sheepfellow), allow to dry and then weather to taste

This.

How to use Klear? This is Humbrol's version of the same stuff. 

It's as much the technique that is relevant. It seems more complicated in words. This video might help.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 7

Another vote for Stubby, he's made useful and humourous contributions to my thread.

Considering it meanders like riding a bicycle home from the pub, I think that shows dedication to the cause of model railways.

If you really want an excuse for wonky chimneys, build a model of the Leicester & Swannington Railway on opening day. According to legend, the chimney of the first locomotive through Glenfield tunnel, struck the roof.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

This.

How to use Klear? This is Humbrol's version of the same stuff. 

It's as much the technique that is relevant. It seems more complicated in words. This video might help.

Jason

Similar rather than the same.

Klear is a floor tile sealant that has become popular for modelling purposes because it comes in big cheap bottles, as opposed to modelling varnish which tends to come in small expensive ones.

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Another vote for Stubby, he's made useful and humourous contributions to my thread.

Considering it meanders like riding a bicycle home from the pub, I think that shows dedication to the cause of model railways.

If you really want an excuse for wonky chimneys, build a model of the Leicester & Swannington Railway on opening day. According to legend, the chimney of the first locomotive through Glenfield tunnel, struck the roof.

There is certainly humour in abundance and many contributions.

Whether it's wonky chimneys or nudged canopies, there is no escaping the dreaded thread drift if certain personalities become involved in one's threads. I've come to realise that even if you start your own thread it is onle a very short time before it becomes everybody else's.

Resistance is fertile.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

32 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

There is certainly humour in abundance and many contributions.

Whether it's wonky chimneys or nudged canopies, there is no escaping the dreaded thread drift if certain personalities become involved in one's threads. I've come to realise that even if you start your own thread it is onle a very short time before it becomes everybody else's.

Resistance is fertile.

Isn't one definition of a Forum .... a place where anyone can express an opinion. 

32 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Similar rather than the same.

Klear is a floor tile sealant that has become popular for modelling purposes because it comes in big cheap bottles, as opposed to modelling varnish which tends to come in small expensive ones.

John

Johnsons "Klear" Was reformulated some years ago, with subsequent criticism in RMweb and other places, the new version being considered not so useful for modelling purposes.  Immediately supplies started appearing on Ebay for "original" "Klear" at much enhanced (read...Stupid ) prices. 

Edited by DonB
Errant apostrophe
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, DonB said:

Is'nt one definition of a Forum .... a place where anyone can express an opinion. 

In my experience, that depends an awful lot on the forum in question and your opinion.

A lot of the time you have to perform the "Russian Look" and check over your shoulder before speaking. :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Modelling railways is a serious business and I promise to take it more seriously in the future.

Modelling railways is a serious business and I promise to take it more seriously in the future.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

7 minutes ago, Gedward said:

No it isn't. :D

• Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I remember someone grabbing hold of me and yelling in my face: "Football is life! Get a life!" 

It got messy for him at that point.

Agreed, it's such a beautiful game. :D

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Agreed, it's such a beautiful game

Is that right that there's some kind of 'thing' going on with that game at the moment? I know nothing of these things, of course, but I heard some mention of it the other day, while discussing alternative abstract concepts of spatial expressionism within a new focus group, dedicated to diffusing the arguments surrounding the critical dialogue between the proponents of  disjunctive perturbation and distinctive juxtaposition of form.

Edited by Captain Kernow
A strawberry blancmange.
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

I'm not sure, our neighbors were having some sort of loud celebrations the other night on the grounds that "they had won".

Which is odd, because none of them are what you might consider athletic...

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Is that right that there's some kind of 'thing' going on with that game at the moment? I know nothing of these things, of course, but I heard some mention of it the other day, while discussing alternative abstract concepts of spatial expressionism within a new focus group, dedicated to diffusing the arguments surrounding the critical dialogue between the proponents of  disjunctive perturbation and distinctive juxtaposition of form.

Have you looked into @Gedward's own topic recently? There's some real Art there, darling.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1