• RMweb Gold

Evening all, 

With the Cardiff show out of the way, thoughts are quietly turning to the next show in Portishead. 

This will be Ewe's first show before the paying public. Ahead of this, there are a few jobs to attend to which I'll detail over coming weeks.

These will mainly revolve around the motive power and in particular the weathering of the J70s and an 03 or two. Additionally, decoders will need fitting to the trams. 

As to the layout itself, there's further work to do on the scenery and a bit of detailing here and there. 

If time allows I may attempt the "tramming" of an 04. However, I've put this particular project down as a Winter job and have no intention to rush into it. 

Rob. 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, mdvle said:

Won't be available this winter but Rapido have just announced their Class 04 with several variations.

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/br-class-04/

Well, perhaps one can wait...........without the 'need'  to build a tram engine I'll have time to build a layout................

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Well............

Looks like the 7mm project now has some real focus thanks to Rapido. 

In the meantime, , the 4mm W&U has had a shot in the arm with their announcement of the 04 and the pre-grouping W&U train packs..........oh and the tramway coaches in non-Titfield guise.......

Things are looking distinctly jolly damn bloody well up. 

Rob. 

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Well............

Looks like the 7mm project now has some real focus thanks to Rapido. 

In the meantime, , the 4mm W&U has had a shot in the arm with their announcement of the 04 and the pre-grouping W&U train packs..........oh and the tramway coaches in non-Titfield guise.......

Things are looking distinctly jolly damn bloody well up. 

Rob. 

On a positive, I already have the baseboards and enough pointage courtesy of  BGman for the 7mm job. 

I'm sure therefore, Grahame will be looking over my shoulder. 

Rob. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Rob,

Some interesting plans there. 

Nice to see that a class 14 will be joining the stud at some point, I think it'll look quite at home doing a spot of shunting.

I agree with your view on green diesels, as I said at the Cardiff show there's something about a loco in BR green livery when it gets a bit dirty.

Wayne.

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Nice to see that a class 14 will be joining the stud at the stud at some point, I think it'll look quite at home doing a spot of shunting.

I agree with your view on green diesels, as I said at the Cardiff show there's something about a loco in BR green livery when it gets a bit dirty.

Absolutely...

32681707878_d42108c961_z.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

20220821_153100-01.jpeg.d567fa780a5210901a76033d08a145ee.jpg.b9b4b1d237834816db0471fff42a36e9.jpg

Tone Mapping

Ah yes. Similar in style to Sheldon Fopp who has produced water colour images of Sheep Lane, Mutton and Bleat. He's yet to venture to Sheep Dip or Ewe. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 4

Rob,

One thing I forgot to ask at the Cardiff show was how you wire up your layouts on a solid board? As I'm getting tempted to try a 'Lack' based scheme myself it was something I was pondering, I'm guessing here but do you just run wires through channels cut into the board and then cover everything over later?

Wayne 

• RMweb Gold

I hope Rob doesn't mind me butting in here.  I built a couple of layouts using Lack shelves when our boys were younger and used PVA to stick some old fashioned insulation board to the top (the kind best described as very low density board which can be cut with a craft knife).  I then covered this with lining paper which was painted with cheap brown emulsion.  The result is a thin top into which channels can be cut and easily hidden.

Here's a cropped image showing the end result.

1582057030_layouttop.jpg.9ed40831813abfa8ab4743b5c09f2975.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, teaky said:

I hope Rob doesn't mind me butting in here.  I built a couple of layouts using Lack shelves when our boys were younger and used PVA to stick some old fashioned insulation board to the top (the kind best described as very low density board which can be cut with a craft knife).  I then covered this with lining paper which was painted with cheap brown emulsion.  The result is a thin top into which channels can be cut and easily hidden.

Here's a cropped image showing the end result.

1582057030_layouttop.jpg.9ed40831813abfa8ab4743b5c09f2975.jpg

Morning,  Rob. 

That's pretty much the approach taken with Ewe........except I glued and screwed 9mm MDF on top. 

20210814_103008-01.jpeg.de1979863678de4a796756247a54c582.jpeg

5 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Rob,

One thing I forgot to ask at the Cardiff show was how you wire up your layouts on a solid board? As I'm getting tempted to try a 'Lack' based scheme myself it was something I was pondering, I'm guessing here but do you just run wires through channels cut into the board and then cover everything over later?

Wayne 

Morning Wayne. 

You could along with a wire in tube solution for the points............but, I didn't. 

Instead, I drill into the board on the rear, 'backscene' edge at right angles to where the feed is to emerge under the relevant bit of trackwork. Two smaller diameter  holes under the rails then the red and black wires attached to their respective fish plates are dropped through. These are then pulled through by hooking them out, via the holes at the backscene edge. 

They are then attached to the 'bus bar ' which is screwed to the back scene. 

Hope this helps....

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, that went well..

No, really, it did. I've fitted a Bachmann decoder to the first of the J70s and have been rewarded with really good slow speed running accompanied by a nice, gradual stop and start. 

Lush. 

Spent a nice hour playing....sorry, testing the chassis. 

Two more to do but can't help but  wonder if I should weather the body now as the chassis is a nice 'snug' fit........In other words, it's a bit of a bu@@er to remove...

Next in line is 68225, an unskirted job. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

When I wanted to run rods to operate the turnouts I used some plastruct tubing which was small enough to go under 0  gauge track ( there being no separate track underlay). I ran then straight to the front of the baseboard,  The ballast and senic treatment held them in place. For simplicity I used a terminal strip cut into single pieces one screwed on the end of each rod to give something to grip. You could do the same with track droppers. Bring it all out to the front edge make any connections there.  With an odd block of wood here and there just fit a fascia along the front. Nice and neat  with easy access.

Don

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Donw said:

When I wanted to run rods to operate the turnouts I used some plastruct tubing which was small enough to go under 0  gauge track ( there being no separate track underlay). I ran then straight to the front of the baseboard,  The ballast and senic treatment held them in place. For simplicity I used a terminal strip cut into single pieces one screwed on the end of each rod to give something to grip. You could do the same with track droppers. Bring it all out to the front edge make any connections there.  With an odd block of wood here and there just fit a fascia along the front. Nice and neat  with easy access.

Don

And there layeth the problem with the latest layout.........a water feature right across the front......

No, I decided to leave well alone on this occasion..

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

In that case I would probably bring the wires and controls out to the fiddly area. Probably arrange the scenic board to be 1 inch in from the baseboard end so the controls would be mounted on the baseboard. This would work well on an exhibition layout you could be stood by the FART to operate not blocking the view. Except of course if I continued with 3 links I would still have to stand in front while coupling.

Don

• Like 3