NHY 581

• RMweb Gold
On 10/08/2022 at 12:31, TheRockingRoadie said:

Thats exactly the roller I was thinking of. It's really cool, nice to see something different.

It lives no more than about 15 miles away hence my coming up behind it on the road one day which would have been when he was giving a run after its heavy overhaul - that would be about 5/6 years ago.  I haven't seen it at a local rally since then although I missed a couple of Woodcote events due to holidays and other things.  Alas Woodcote now seems to have bitten the dust because of insurance costs, and something to do with renting the main field they used, which is a great pity.

It wasn't at the other local rally this year- now a very mixed bag as it even included lawn tractors this year 😮, but still plenty of steam.  Fortunately that looks likely to continue as the chap who owns the land could almost run a small rally with his own stuff (as long as you  also like Sentinel steam lorries).

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 10/08/2022 at 00:33, MrWolf said:

Impressive, I've never seen the MLD type in the metal, or the Robey Tri-tandem, there were quite a few different ideas before the IC engine swept everything away, particularly in the US, which is why I thought it could have been a Buffalo.

It would have been nice to have seen a standard gauge British Shay locomotive, those on logging railroads are fascinating to watch.

Only one was known to have worked in the UK, as far as I know.

https://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/23/Shay.htm

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 10/08/2022 at 13:46, MrWolf said:

I've just picked up a copy of BRM, in the article about RMWeb members day there's a photo and a little write up on Ewe and very complimentary they are about it too!

Rightly so, well done Rob!

Thanks, Rob. 

Jamie, who took the pics and wrote the words is an awesome modeller in his own right. Very, very talented chap. 

Rob. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

Posts are a tad sporadic at present.  However, this week end will see Sheep Dip at the Cardiff Show which moves to a new date (from October) and a new venue at The Ice Arena, Wales. 

I'll be checking the layout and stock over the next couple of days but hopefully 🤞, there is little to do after it's appearance at Exeter. 

One possible change will be to  use the fiddly yard deployed with Bleat Wharf  at Minehead. 

At Exeter, the fiddly yard on Sheep Dip was this, the Fiddly Area Re-shuffling Table, Mk 2

20220623_210839-01.jpeg.24c14db51535e1cbbb66e6b80e470ee6.jpeg

Challenging............

Bleat's is this, the Fiddly Area Re-shuffling Table , Mk 1. 

20220729_183813-01.jpeg.f205213e63d650cba929eb4cf14d606b.jpeg

Less challenging..........

Rob

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, HillsideDepot said:

Always good to see other people's Fiddly Area Re-shuffling Tables as its an area I need to improve on my concoctions. Thanks Rob, useful images.

Morning HD. 

Mine are very simple storage sidings, nothing more with much associated handling of stock. This is not to everyone's liking and something I would look to improve on, certainly in a home layout scenario. 

But........at an exhibition, my handling of stock is actually limited as I would estimate a good 50% of my time is spent nattering. 

I've  also noted that,  given the finish on the respective F.A.R.Ts,  the stock is nicely displayed as it appears visitors like to peruse my rear areas......

R

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Graham T said:

When they're not helping you with your erection, I presume?

It all depends on how late one arrives and if one has a need to get it up quickly.....

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

@NHY 581 - thank you for showing your F.A.R.T. v2, particularly the bracket for attaching it to the main board…

The metal bracket shown is normally used to safely fasten IKEA shelving units etc to walls to avoid them falling over, and I applaud your re-use of them on your layout! (I have lots of them spare in a box which I suddenly have use for!)

Is this used simply to align the two boards in the horizontal plane? Is there a second one out of sight behind the F.A.R.T. too? I assume the layout is always displayed on a table too surface, and that take care of vertical alignment of the boards? Or is the F.A.R.T. sufficiently lightweight that those brackets alone are able to hold the weight?

Steve S

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

@NHY 581 - thank you for showing your F.A.R.T. v2, particularly the bracket for attaching it to the main board…

The metal bracket shown is normally used to safely fasten IKEA shelving units etc to walls to avoid them falling over, and I applaud your re-use of them on your layout! (I have lots of them spare in a box which I suddenly have use for!)

Is this used simply to align the two boards in the horizontal plane? Is there a second one out of sight behind the F.A.R.T. too? I assume the layout is always displayed on a table too surface, and that take care of vertical alignment of the boards? Or is the F.A.R.T. sufficiently lightweight that those brackets alone are able to hold the weight?

Steve S

Morning Steve. 

One bracket either side. The pressure exerted from tightening up the wingnuts holds things in place in the case of the Mk2 , which also benefits from a support on the back scene going to the fascia in a triangulatedesque fashion. 

The Mk 1 is too weighty to be self supporting and sits on the same horizontal beamage as the scenic section whilst being held in place with the same bracketista. 

Rob. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'm building up to a new and improved F.A.R.T. at the moment I'm wanting to keep it as long and narrow as possible to fit within the new room.

It's on the (growing) list.

The longer the better.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I'm building up to a new and improved F.A.R.T. at the moment I'm wanting to keep it as long and narrow as possible to fit within the new room.

It's on the (growing) list.

Just be careful where you first release it as the public can be very critical of 'new' things if they haven't been forewarned.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

It's also important to consider the volume of your F.A.R.T. Too much volume when setting up or packing down can be overwhelming. But conversely too little can result in stagnation in the day.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The longer the better.

Without crossing the....ahem.....cough.....line......

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Just be careful where you first release it as the public can be very critical of 'new' things if they haven't been forewarned.

You may be thinking of the "Anti personnel F.A.R.T. which causes people to flee in panic and those within the blast range are left choking and trying to hold down their breakfast?

Edited by MrWolf
  • Funny 8

25 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

There is no one running the country at the moment so that’s why we’re all off topic!

That's a little unfair, I don't think that anyone has been running the country for decades, we've been off topic about 24 hours....

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
On 10/08/2022 at 13:46, MrWolf said:

I've just picked up a copy of BRM, in the article about RMWeb members day there's a photo and a little write up on Ewe and very complimentary they are about it too!

Rightly so, well done Rob!

@MrWolf not seen a copy, anything on Polsarrett?