Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Afternoon all. 

This is the current state of play of the Room of Doom.....well, half of it anyway....

20221008_144916-01.jpeg.0078f3244fd1de91196abde294abd521.jpeg

Rob. 

I like the magazine holder.

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

On 26/08/2022 at 16:34, NHY 581 said:

Well............

Looks like the 7mm project now has some real focus thanks to Rapido. 

In the meantime, , the 4mm W&U has had a shot in the arm with their announcement of the 04 and the pre-grouping W&U train packs..........oh and the tramway coaches in non-Titfield guise.......

Things are looking distinctly jolly damn bloody well up. 

Rob. 

I hadn't realised they were doing the damn coaches in non-titfield guise, I have 2 of those on order ready for my W&U layout. Oh well, serves me right for not looking around before parting with a deposit.

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Ah, but is that a two, three or four bolt chair?

Evening Neil,

'Tis a three bolt S&DJR chair, dated 1898. 

Rob. 

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, NHY 581 said:

Evening Neil,

'Tis a three bolt S&DJR chair, dated 1898. 

Rob. 

Oooh S&D, excellent!  Much approval.

PS - are you going to have alternative BR era for the Sheepey layout? I have an H that's never even been out of the box.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, New Haven Neil said:

PS - are you going to have alternative BR era for the Sheepey layout? I have an H that's never even been out of the box.....

Lambsdown will be SE&CR only, Neil. The station building etc will be in pre-grouping colours..........probably SER, once I work out what they are. Failing that, I may well work on the basis that this is an independent light railway, taken over a couple of years prior to WW1. So that sets the tone for the Full Monty SE&CR livery. 

For the post WW1 timetable, the station etc was never repainted from the light railway colours as any thoughts of same were interrupted by the conflict. 

Keep it simple I say. 

Rob

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Lambsdown will be SE&CR only, Neil. The station building etc will be in pre-grouping colours..........probably SER, once I work out what they are. Failing that, I may well work on the basis that this is an independent light railway, taken over a couple of years prior to WW1. So that sets the tone for the Full Monty SE&CR livery. 

This site is very useful for station colours

https://www.stationcolours.info/

SER / LC&DR / SE&CR is about half way down this page https://www.stationcolours.info/southern-railway/

Hope this helps

Moxy

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

In BR days, repainting of stations could be slow, in East Anglia many stations remained in LNER colours well into the 1950s, even with BR signage. I seem to remember Tolllesbury was in pre 1936 colours in very early BR days.

Martyn

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I wish I had the opportunity to meet him. But as you say, we all have met him through his wealth of knowledge in his books. My first proper layout was back in 1993. It would not have gotten off the ground if not for his books. As there was no online forums back then.

RIP Iain.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

That's very sad news, his East Anglian layouts (and those he did with Bob Barlow) were some of my all time favourite railway models, and the MRJ's with them in constantly live near the top of the pile....

RIP Iain

Keith

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I met Ian at many shows over the years, always very interesting to listen to and the articles books etc have been read and reread. His sketches to go with the articles in particular were very inspiring either informative on how to do something or  great depictions of how a layout could be done.

Don

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Corbs said:

C92B664E-9AA1-434C-AD48-B9F51C07C166_1_105_c.jpeg

That shot gives a lovely impression of space ... which in reality, I presume, there isn't that much of. Great shot.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Corbs said:

Rob it was super to see you at the Portishead WC&P show - unfortunately I didn't get the chance to say hi to Ewe as didn't want to butt in mid conversation ;) 

C92B664E-9AA1-434C-AD48-B9F51C07C166_1_105_c.jpeg

Great photo, Corbs. Thanks for posting and my grovelling apologies for not catching up with you. 

It was a bit of a chatty day out !!

Rob. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 03060 said:

That shot gives a lovely impression of space ... which in reality, I presume, there isn't that much of. Great shot.

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian, 

Your assessment regarding space is somewhat accurate....

I blame the bloke who plonked a tree in the front...........oh, hang on.....

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I hope to, I have been going through some material this morning.

It has made me feel sad though, to think that he has really gone, his influence was and will remain huge I think.

His sketches are lovely, Iain was such a creative and imaginative force and I am quietly remembering the times I spent with him, our conversations and the things that he said.

Here he is, setting up "Trerice" at Larkrail in 2016. Sadly, Tony Barnes of the Westinghouse MRC (pictured behind Iain) has also just died at way too young an age.

274380395_IainatLarkrail.JPG.c0763eccefa95e55ebddfc6170a70184.JPG

Mind you, Lexie did not like our cats one little bit...

Simon

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tim, although I don't want to overdo the "Lloyd George knew my father" thing, I knew Iain a very little and quite late, but it was a memorable and fun friendship nonetheless.

There are many others who knew Iain far better than I for who this news is much more difficult. And other friends of his who gave him a huge amount of support through his recent difficulties, to whom I take off my hat.

I guess, for me, its looking at emails and thoughts that didn't get followed up at the time and now of course they can't.

Mind you, he was good at getting distracted and blown off course, probably why we rubbed along OK...

• Friendly/supportive 13

I was going to write this in the Obituaries section, but I decided it was better here, (My apologies to Sheep Bloke!)

I met Iain Rice only once at Stoke Manderville in 2019.  It is the only time I’ve visited the event, mainly because of the Cameo Competition.  Iain was there with Longwood Edge, which was a pleasure to observe considering his Parkinson’s.  The layout and the finalists certainly made you think.
Looking around this site and other sites you realise the impact Iain Rice had on the Model Railway World!  His memory lives on in every layout constructed based on his inspiration, plans and books.  In fact he will be with us every time someone builds something based on one of his ideas.

Long may we remember him.

Paul

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1