RMweb

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Whatever next ! 

Mmmmmmm.....................

Cue layouts set between 1967 and 1975 with real hairy hippies and proper hairy glam rockers...!!!

Not to mention the early eighties.......South Cardiff EM Gauge Society. 1984.

f89425cc204c48e21824147bcec1573e.jpg.232aa99bb800aba1963f0062eed8e719.jpg

Gent second from left is demonstrating outside diameter of tubing of boiler on etched brass 1P 0.4.4T. 

The one on the left seems to have got an awful lot of enamel paint marks about his person.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

The one on the left seems to have got an awful lot of enamel paint marks about his person.

Morning CK. 

I suspect he models the L&NER. He looks the sort. 

Rob. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

Hi Rob, I like your recent proposal of the Sheepey Light Railway. There is always something appealing about light railways - at Warley there was a wonderful layout set on the Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Railway, along with its Terrier. Here’s a photo: 

EBDDE343-BE9A-46E2-BEB7-A15376CF7340.jpeg.cdc83330669c71d13b7a0941b6053eab.jpeg

Another brilliant light railway layout is Rolvenden, on the KESR. 

My mojo seems to have reignited after Warley, and I saw one layout in particular in O gauge set at a wagon works. Ideas have sprung up of a OO gauge version (my gauge) and Western Region (a lot of my stock would suit it, such as my Bachmann 8750 and numerous Toads). Although other ideas are pushing towards a railway/canal interchange, maybe in a rural spot on the Kennet and Avon. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Liam said:

Hi Rob, I like your recent proposal of the Sheepey Light Railway. There is always something appealing about light railways - at Warley there was a wonderful layout set on the Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Railway, along with its Terrier. Here’s a photo: 

EBDDE343-BE9A-46E2-BEB7-A15376CF7340.jpeg.cdc83330669c71d13b7a0941b6053eab.jpeg

Another brilliant light railway layout is Rolvenden, on the KESR. 

My mojo seems to have reignited after Warley, and I saw one layout in particular in O gauge set at a wagon works. Ideas have sprung up of a OO gauge version (my gauge) and Western Region (a lot of my stock would suit it, such as my Bachmann 8750 and numerous Toads). Although other ideas are pushing towards a railway/canal interchange, maybe in a rural spot on the Kennet and Avon. 

Hi Liam, 

Welcome to the jungle. It sounds as if you were looking at one of Andrew Ullyott's WC&PR layouts at Warley.  He had both out at the recent WC&PR Society show in Portishead. Rolvenden was also there as was the excellent Leysdown. 

If it's a Great Western inspired wagon works you're thinking of, seek out info on the one at Machen. 

Lovely set of buildings. Full of character. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Something like Burbage Wharf, just west of Savernake, Wilts.

You must be psychic - in my mind I had an idea to have a small goods depot alongside the canal at Grafton, and imagine that a spur ran to it from a loop that trains from both the GWR main line and the MSWJR could access...

In addition to my 8750 Pannier I also have a Heljan Western. The theory could be that it ran down from Swindon on the MSWJR for light running in (far fetched I know) and they needed somewhere to stable it while a few goods trains bound for Southampton Docks passed on the line down towards Andover.

Also currently having a look for a second hand Bachmann 43xx or SR N class...

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Liam, 

This is Dave's wagon works thread. 

Templegate Wagon Works

By Bungus

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Hepton Wharf as extended to the right ( as you look at it ) 

trackplan.jpg.59070bc1c3527344ac91715be6aaec4d.jpg

Thank you very much Rob, that is one very tempting track plan!

At home I have a baseboard that is split into four equal parts, and I believe put together they measure 6x4 but for some reason 2ft 6in springs to mind as being the length of one piece. Nonetheless, there’s always the potential to squeeze a lot out of a small space (as long as it doesn’t look cramped).

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Of note is an email advising that my Hattons SE&CR 6 wheel coaches are in the pipeline.........I therefore await delivery of same. 

Imminent, innit. 

• Like 10

On 29/11/2022 at 17:56, NHY 581 said:

I'd agree with Liam, that is a tempting track plan! I've seen a few photos of that layout, I'd love to see it in the flesh if it is still on the circuit. 

@Liam Did you find any info on Templegate wagon works? Dave is a fine small layout builder and Tudwick Road siding is a very nice small o gauge layout based on a real location, worth checking out, it inspired me to build one of my layouts. 

Edited by sb67
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/11/2022 at 17:56, NHY 581 said:

Morning all, 

I still await my 6 wheelers but in a bit of a twist, Hattons advise that they are being sent via Amazon, rather than Royal Mail. 

I'm hoping they'll arrive today. 

Returning to the above track plan, it strikes one that if the rear siding in the fiddly yard were to be extended across, linking the sector plates, then you'd have even more fun. 

That said, additional tracks could be added to the sector plates themselves and you could do away with the rear sidings altogether. 

Mmmm.......like I really need to be thinking about another plan.....

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

I'd agree with Liam, that is a tempting track plan! I've seen a few photos of that layout, I'd love to see it in the flesh if it is still on the circuit. 

@Liam Did you find any info on Templegate wagon works? Dave is a fine small layout builder and Tudwick Road siding is a very nice small o gauge layout based on a real location, worth checking out, it inspired me to build one of my layouts. 

Morning Steve, 

Good to see you. I was opposite Dave at the Minehead show this August, where he had Templegate and I had Bleat. It seems us small layout types gravitate yowards each other......

Templegate really demonstrates what can be achieved in a ridiculously small space. I also like his take on the Wisbech and Upwell, Friday Bridge. 

Rob. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, sb67 said:

Yes Steve, I came across the thread for Templegate on here and at Warley I also took a few photos of it. A OO Gauge version would allow more room.

My take on Hepton Wharf would do away with the fiddle yard on the right and the scenic section would end about where the level crossing is.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Liam said:

My take on Hepton Wharf would do away with the fiddle yard on the right and the scenic section would end about where the level crossing is.

That was how the layout was originally built. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/11/2022 at 18:32, NHY 581 said:

5 months !!!! 

Hell fire and f●rnication !!! 

Is that all !! I'm ringing the organiser to find out what's going on.......

That really is scary, it feels like it was only about a month ago we were enjoying the last one!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Steve, 

Good to see you. I was opposite Dave at the Minehead show this August, where he had Templegate and I had Bleat. It seems us small layout types gravitate yowards each other......

Templegate really demonstrates what can be achieved in a ridiculously small space. I also like his take on the Wisbech and Upwell, Friday Bridge. 

Rob. 

I saw Templegate at Shenfield, Friday bridge is good, I also like Weslo Steels. Those 6 wheelers would look good on a layout like Hepton Wharf, I was looking at the BR Crimson ones, but they won't be around for a while. I know Hornby do them, but they look more Southern Region in origin. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Steve, 

Rob. 

I saw Templegate at Shenfield, Friday bridge is good, I also like Weslo Steels. Those 6 wheelers would look good on a layout like Hepton Wharf, I was looking at the BR Crimson ones, but they won't be around for a while. I know Hornby do them, but they look more Southern Region in origin. 

8 hours ago, Liam said:

A OO Gauge version would allow more room. 

It certainly would, and I have a Bachmann diesel maintenance shed in my cupboard somewhere, that's got me thinking! 

• Like 3