RMweb

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

He may end up being a dog that thinks he's a sheep?

He's apparently looking forward to helping me with Lucky the Sentinel when a few new bits arrive, hopefully tomorrow. 

He tells me we can do it while we're watching the footy on telly. 

Rob

• Like 5

Best way to watch the footy. In a different room, doing something else...

😇

PS. The The Ewes Brothers (I assume?!) quote in your sig makes me laugh every time Rob, top value!

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Schooner said:

PS. The The Ewes Brothers (I assume?!) quote in your sig makes me laugh every time Rob, top value!

Like it ! 

20230106_133438.jpg.2179684d59b3e604c81282d37094a369.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Is your woofer allowed into the railway room or are you still in house training mode ?  I can’t let mine loose in my shed because she wants to run off with anything chew sized !

Pannier tanks would surely fit the bill of being chew sized. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

On 21/03/2023 at 18:37, John Besley said:

How about a bus bar using two lengths of brass rod spaced an 1" apart this can be fixed in place with a brass cleat made up 2 or 3 per length.

I've used 1/16th brass rod inside buildings as bus bar in 16mm garden railways station building and a loco shed

Further thoughts on the above to fix you could use strips of 15amp Choc block  (terminal strip connector) - thread the bar through the choc blocks clamping in place and screw the blocks in place with 3.00mm wood screws through the mounting holes if you use a block 3 wide it will give you plenty of segregation allowing room to make connections by soldering to the bar

Following up on this idea, why not simply grab a length of code 100 track, (that I'm sure most of us have hung on to, even after switching to code 75,) and use that as your bus? Already held apart by the plastic sleepers and a bit cheaper than brass rod

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, NickBrad said:

Following up on this idea, why not simply grab a length of code 100 track, (that I'm sure most of us have hung on to, even after switching to code 75,) and use that as your bus? Already held apart by the plastic sleepers and a bit cheaper than brass rod

Morning Nick. 

What have we told you about this common sense thing you keep using........... ?

Will you never learn ? 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

A bit of work was done on prepping for SWAG yesterday and Saturday and this saw a few outstanding jobs ticked off. 28 days to go...........

I also found time to catch up on a few threads on here. This is a good read. 

https://micromodelrailwaydispatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Issue-8-Spring_final.pdf

Mullie of the Parish and his Upwell micros are featured. 

You'll have chance to see Martyn's approach as he is at SWAG with some examples of his modelling and I know will be happy to explain how he does things. 

Over on Western Thunder, this is coming together very nicely.....

Thread 'Bank Top Yard (Industrial)' https://www.westernthunder.co.uk/threads/bank-top-yard-industrial.11539/

Chris is knocking together a very nice industrial layout. Very subdued and very effective. 

The Temporary Acting Works Apprentice had his first trip out on Saturday and we visited a DIY store. He had a lovely reception from staff and customers alike and he did very well indeed. Took it all in and behaved himself though the glove display was "of interest".........

All good stuff. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
On 20/03/2023 at 22:45, John Besley said:

How about a bus bar using two lengths of brass rod spaced an 1" apart this can be fixed in place with a brass cleat made up 2 or 3 per length.

I've used 1/16th brass rod inside buildings as bus bar in 16mm garden railways station building and a loco shed

I have used brass tube as bus bar in the past, using choc block connectors to hold them in place.  Works very well. More recently I've done the same with nickel silver rail.

My Dad once had a layout with a length of flexi track fixed underneath the board and used that as a bus bar for the track feeds.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

I have used brass tube as bus bar in the past, using choc block connectors to hold them in place.  Works very well. More recently I've done the same with nickel silver rail.

My Dad once had a layout with a length of flexi track fixed underneath the board and used that as a bus bar for the track feeds.

I used thin copper tube and connectors initially on EWE. I then changed this to copper speaker wire which is also used on Bleat and Sheep Dip. But then my wiring is hardly challenging. This is the 'business end" of Sheep Lane. 

post-14122-0-69734200-1457728578_thumb-1-01.jpeg.2745b650156559c145342cf176b10044.jpeg

Nick's suggested use of redundant trackwork is very cost effective and had I thought of it, I'd have done the same here. 

Rob. 

• Like 11

6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Nick. 

What have we told you about this common sense thing you keep using........... ?

Will you never learn ? 

Rob. 

Not me Gov, I stopped tryin ta learn the day I left skool. I am common tho, so I naturally have the scents of it I suppose. 

Seems Mark Forrest also has the same musings and I'm sure he has more brain cells than meself, so maybe this idea is indeed using common scents. (I'm now wonder how to evoke the smell of diesels from my layout....)

Edited by NickBrad
That there other fella used the same idea
  • Like 1

If you were told that was an O gauge wagon, you wouldn't question it. But that much texture that is actually to scale, ( take note everyone flogging weathered items on eBay!) that level in OO is pretty incredible.

You could get covered in muck just looking at it.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't mind me while I come back every few days and update to *applause* and then *interesting/informative* and then *like* and then and then and then...

Bloody brilliant job, bloody brilliant description, bloody brilliant resource. Merci bien M. Mouton!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

If you were told that was an O gauge wagon...

It's an O gauge wagon :)

...but the point stands - the weathering is to scale and so looks right, and good Lord but does all that effort show in the depth of colour and texture. Bookmarked with intent.

The insufferable bit is the b*gger really can do just as good a job in 4mm!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all and many thanks for all your comments. It was nice to revisit those images and give some thought as to how I'd actually done it ! 

In lieu of any actual hands on modelling at present, it will do for now. There'll be a couple more posts shortly, put together in response to questions on Western Thunder. 

Rob

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

Fantastic! Thank you!

Now, to really fully demonstrate to those of us with zero skills but immense ambition exactly how to achieve your museum-standard weathering, you could re-boot this pictorial step by step guide into a full blown, Missenden-like workshop session by producing a real-time video tutorial, complete with an informative/instructive yet calming/soothing voice-over*? 😉

Given your other commitments, you might be able to do that to coincide with the fabled arrival of Rails of Sheffield’s new L1 loco**!!

Steve S

* Some denizens of RMWeb may think Nigella might be a suitable candidate for suchlike, but the emphasis should be upon a “calming/soothing” voiceover and not one more likely to raise the blood pressure in its listeners! 

** At this rate, sometime in 2026! 🙄

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Fantastic! Thank you!

Now, to really fully demonstrate to those of us with zero skills but immense ambition exactly how to achieve your museum-standard weathering, you could re-boot this pictorial step by step guide into a full blown, Missenden-like workshop session by producing a real-time video tutorial, complete with an informative/instructive yet calming/soothing voice-over*? 😉

Given your other commitments, you might be able to do that to coincide with the fabled arrival of Rails of Sheffield’s new L1 loco**!!

Steve S

* Some denizens of RMWeb may think Nigella might be a suitable candidate for suchlike, but the emphasis should be upon a “calming/soothing” voiceover and not one more likely to raise the blood pressure in its listeners! 

** At this rate, sometime in 2026! 🙄

Morning Steve. 

Thank you but I'm definitely not Missenden material and any voice over  would require a number of retakes due to 'potty mouth ' moments when things go pear shaped.......and they do......

I could not do this sort of thing live........

If anyone is to have a go, find a suitable expendable wagon to Dai Sect* first. 

*Welsh butcher. 

Rob

• Friendly/supportive 4