• RMweb Gold

Ahem.......sorted. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

BUT............

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

What a complete b****r....just when you are least expecting it or need it

Along with any subterranean bracing - would a substantial backscene help stabilise matters?

C

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

What a complete b****r....just when you are least expecting it or need it

Along with any subterranean bracing - would a substantial backscene help stabilise matters?

C

Hi Chris, 

Possibly. I've no idea how this has come about. The shelf has a 9mm MDF top, glued and screwed as per Ewe. The mdf was primed both sides to avoid any moisture getting in. 

The backscene thing, in conjunction with a frontispiece on the borad itself might do it. 

I can but try. 

Rob

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

A name board on the front, say 100-150mm deep of 9mm furniture ply would hold the front, back scene and end boards of 6mm and the light bar should take care of the rest, as well as protecting the layout, it could give you a space beneath the layout of around 100mm deep to hide assorted gubbins too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I would put diagonal braces underneath these will stop twisting etc

Port3.JPG.227cf8b3f26af212cc4bdf93bc38c88d.JPG

These boards are 4mm ply with 20x12mm edge timber and 20x20 timber braces halve joint in the middle no need for precision no more nails or something will fill any gaps

you may need bigger sections to hold thicker ply flat.

Don

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately some Ikea shelves appear more prone to a degree of warping than the table tops. I found this out on my current cameo which uses an Ikea shelf, where after I had screwed & glued a painted plywood board to the top and laid some of the trackwork, I noticed the centre of the board had bowed upwards by approx. 5mm.

In an attempt to overcome this, I made four cuts through the shelf's bottom layer at equal distances either side of the high point and clamped it to a table using sash clamps. When the board was removed after a few days the bowing had reduced to 2mm, which I deemed to be acceptable and the cuts were filled with waterproof PVA in an attempt to re-introduce some strength.  I have since beefed up the layout facia material to help stability. So far operation of locos and rolling stock does not appear problematic and buildings have been designed to ensure they are horizontal.

Hope this may help.

Vaughan

DSC05946.JPG.2d09d4c8a86ebfe435527233dfb5d6ed.JPG

Edited by vaughan45
Clarity
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, and thank you for your thoughts. 

This project is certainly proving to be a bit of a challenge, at times, a classic one step forward, two steps back.

Today should have seen a start on the ballasting as the track weathering, not as involved as other layouts, wouldn't have been far off finished. 

But before I do anything else, I need to sort out this issue first. 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Could it be that the layer of DAS has pulled the MDF top surface tighter? Does it/could it shrink on drying out if there is nothing to restrain it? I’ve had similar issues with single layer mountboard where applying glue to just one side has caused it to curl. That is has been pinned/screwed to battens makes it seem unlikely but you just never know with these kind of problems. Here’s hoping you can overcome it. 

Bob

• Agree 1

Good morning folks,

On the 'big railway' we were taught to always put a balancing layer on the rear face of any melamine covered partitions or shelves, so that the facing didn't warp the partition/shelf.

Even though the partitions were often 38mm thick (1.5" in old money)!

Cheers, Nigel.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Bob, 

This was suggested by @MrWolf off piste. I've used DAS on all bar one of my previous layouts without ill effect. This is the second time I've used a glued and screwed MDF top skin with DAS applied on top of that, Ewe being the first and did so without ill effect......BUT......

The difference between these two layouts is the depth of the shelf used, 38mm on this and 50mm on all other layouts. In addition, this board is some 6+ins longer. Perhaps it is these two factors which when combined has caused the issue. 

After coming back from Bracknell, I did say I felt a reset was needed. If I was in any doubt of this and I wasn't, this episode has now confirmed that this is the case. So, what ever comes of this, some time out will be taken. 

I've already started the ball rolling by reluctantly withdrawing from an exhibition early next year. 

This is the second layout I've had an issue with this year. Someone is definitely trying to tell me something. 

Rob.

Roundy Roundy?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

widdershins

Ok, had to Google that.... every day a school day!! 😁👍

Edit, clearly it's my sense of humour that's warped, not my baseboard! 🤪

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

This is the second layout I've had an issue with this year. Someone is definitely trying to tell me something. 

Hi Rob,

Perhaps this is the opportunity to try a new direction with your baseboards and associate bits. Try using the laser cut ply ones or just use ply/softwood as the basis ( good quality birch ply, none of this rubbish sold by the 'sheds'), and since you like exhibiting and make several layouts of similar size over time perhaps design and make a modular leg/display unit that any of them could use, fit into. Just change the name board etc. A modular system for power control so that whatever you choose to use just plugs in via a suitable Din socket and sits say on the floor or elsewhere out of the way, (and so mains voltage doesn't get anywhere near any layout). Wi-fi DCC handsets/systems are ideal for this type of direction. So one system, many layouts....ahem... (since you can only run one at a time!)

Bob

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1