Oakley Green Oil Depot

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

I have to say what a great layout this is in the flesh having seen it at the Barnstaple show today. It's a lot bigger than I though. Very spacious feel and the scenic work is superb.

I think that we may well be seeing a lot more of this layout at shows. It's certainly given me ideas for a new layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have to agree with roundhouse, layout looks excellent and appears bigger "in the flesh". Enjoyed the trip up from Exeter on the train too as I've never travelled the line before.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the comments today !

All seemed to go quite well. a few minor issues, but none that prevented the layout being operated.

Recieved quite a few favourable comments, which is always good and much appreciated.

One invite for later this year ! More details to follow.

We took quite a few photos, which will get posted once sorted out.

• Like 3

Glad Oakley Green went very well yesterday. When I spoke to Jamie yesterday he said he was very pleased with it, it is going well.

I wonder if Jamie will carry on with this thread know he has taken over the layout.        

Well the layout is finally home and settled in the garage, a big thank you to Richard for creating a masterpiece, well done ! , I am sure that the withdrawal symptoms will start to ease in a week or two !!

Currently the Layout is confirmed for Cheltenham Model Railway Exhibition 24th and 25th October 2015, and provisional bookings have been made for Stowmarket 2016 and Chelmsford 2016, however you are welcome to spread the word.

My son and I have been discussing the next step in the development of the layout and we have plans to add a second 8 way decoder to control the signals and lighting, using macros we should be able to automate the signals to allow the correct function based on the point direction, plus we will be starting to consider the fit out of the workshop building with the assistance of Mr Slate.

Things will go quiet for a while, holiday season, but hopefully we can continue the development of Oakley Green into the Autumn.

As always comments are welcome,

Best Regards

Jamie 

post-25225-0-99889500-1438327174_thumb.jpg

Edited by Selborne
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Hi mate

Great to see the photos posted!

I did have a large hole in the garage, but now filled with two new projects!

One will be my sons rebuilt layout, being 2.4m x 0.6m, plus fiddle yard. Track ordered, as he will be using Peco as easiest option to get something running. We will start a thread when we have something worthwhile to show!

My new project will be a small shunting layout for myself, similar concept to Acacia Avenue - board overall size 1.2m x 0.45m, plus fiddle yard. This will be EM and only two points, which I'll make a start on next week. Again thread to be started, look out for "Ruskin", although name yet change.

I also have another layout to start for another client, but need to sit down with him next week as lives local to me.

Good news about the exhibitions!

Will have a look at the depot interior in the next couple of weeks. Plan to have most ready for Cheltenham show. Unfortunately, I will be at Taunton show with Acacia Avenue.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

OK, sorry I have not updated recently, been very busy, however my son and I have now managed to get the signals all working.  we added another DAC20 decoder board so that we could automate the signals, this proved not to be straight forward due to a number of factors, these included;

1.  The decoder has a switched positive for each accessory with a constant negative, which is fine for points and relays but for LED's this does not work, as the LED's are diodes, so we had to make up small two relay control boards which the decoder switched and then the feeds through the relays could have switched negatives.

2.  The NCE controller will only allow for 8 accessories to be swiched with any one Macro, as we had routes to set with points and the signals needed to be swicthed as well we had some macros requiring up to 12 items, so this means that we have to use two macros for route operation, so we have a macro for the points and another macro for the signals, works fine.

3.  Another issue is that the NCE controller can only hold up to 15 macros, this mean that we could not have a macro for each route, instead we have had to be smart and combine macros to achieve the routes we need.

In the end we managed to get everything working well, and we can now select any route from the fiddle yard into the scenic area only sing 2 macros, this has speeded up the the route allocation and the signals all follow the correct path.

we have ordered a few more resistors and capacitors as we want to include for a slightly dimmer LED in the signal, more scale and have a fade on and off, to achieve this we have a 15VDC supply and therefore we have used 10k ohm resistors 1/4 watt, to get the dimmer look, plus the capacitors are 200uf 25v, this gives about o.5 sec fade on and off which looks scale and very realistic.

Once the resistors and capacitors are all fitted I will post some short videos to show the operation of the signals.

Oh, also the better half got me a new split code Class 37 blue weathered from Olivia Trains, for my birthday, it is great, a little loud, so I will have to turn it down a bit, can anybody tell me the CV for the volume ?

The layout will be showing at Cheltenham on the 24th and 25th October, plus we have dates for next year in the east of England confirmed, including Stowmarket, Bury St Edmunds, Ipswich and Colchester.

best Regards

Jamie

Edited by Selborne
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Great stuff Jamie!

Looking forward to the videos!

I need to finish a few other detail bits and will get posted to you before the Cheltenham show.

You can change the volume on CV63. The Max is value 192, so just reduce to suit. You'll need to used the programming track option on the Powercab. The manual is pretty self explanatory.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

About time for an update.

Oakley Green will be at Cheltenham 24th and 25th October. Unfortunately I won't be able to go as will be in Taunton with Acacia Avenue.

I've a few little details to finish off to get fitted to the layout.

In the meantime, a couple more photos.

post-7854-0-81427200-1444550499.jpg

post-7854-0-36622400-1444550500.jpg

post-7854-0-88689200-1444550500.jpg

• Like 18

You are too fast Rich, you beat me to the update  :-)

Some pictures from yesterdays running (Richard has already shown you three above), have been working through all the little niggles and control issues to ensure that we have a faultless running layout, so the signals have worked out fine, however the ground signals are little to bright, so we are fitting 10k resistors to reduce the brightness plus capacitors to slow the changerate, an additional decoder has been acquired to split the shunt run around points from the signal decoder to reduce volt drop issues when the points are operated, so been busy, should have things ready for Cheltenham on the 24th Oct, looking forward to it.

Also a video of the signals in operation can be found here     https://www.facebook.com/groups/295777203802227/918974274815847/?notif_t=like

I will post some more on you tube once the signal works have been completed,

I have acquired some new rolling stock, as can be seen in the pictures 3 x Hornby Express Parcel MK1 coaches, weathered by TMC, look and run great.

speak soon

Jamie

post-25225-0-85450400-1444551190_thumb.jpg

post-25225-0-38184100-1444551194_thumb.jpg

post-25225-0-09653900-1444551197_thumb.jpg

post-25225-0-91156100-1444551199_thumb.jpg

post-25225-0-59356400-1444551202_thumb.jpg

post-25225-0-71545900-1444551205_thumb.jpg

post-25225-0-72325500-1444551208_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Hi 

You have done a very good job on this layout and i love the open space, it so tempting to fill up as much track as possible, but this is just right.

Can i ask who is the back scene made by? , Well done on making this layout.

Darren

• Like 1

Yes - excellent good depth in space which is OK if you have the space to do it in.

Parcel cages look great - maybe a BRUTE Tractor needed? - takes me back to when we spent all our Saturdays at the end of Platform 3 at Preston in the mid 70's.

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail