The London Festival of Railway Modelling 2015

BRMExhibitions

The London Festival of Railway Modelling - 28/29th March 2015

See 40 British, European & International Layouts & over 100 Exhibitors all at Alexandra Palace.

Make sure you don't miss out on discounted admission, 30 minutes early entry and a free showguide by booking in advance. Pre-booking closes at 9am on Friday 20th March.

For more information click here or call 01778 391123.

post-15960-0-20332300-1421145465.jpg

This year celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the founding of the 3mm Society.

There will be a selection of 3mm layouts this year including my own layout, Thorpe Road which is a typical TT Gauge (3mm scale) layout of the late 1960's. Kitmaster coaches, Peco Wonderful Wagons and Biltezzi buildings! The other 3mm layout show how the scale has been developed and supported by the Society and the small selection of trade support over the last 50 years.

post-14612-0-20849500-1421662337.jpg

post-14612-0-52727400-1421662519.jpg

• 1 month later...

Not long to go until the London Festival of Railway Modelling!

Join us at Alexandra Palace on the 28/29th March for 40 British, European & International Layouts & over 100 Exhibitors

Make sure you don't miss out on discounted admission, 30 minutes early entry and a free showguide by booking in advance.

Pre-booking closes at 9am on Friday 20th March.

For more information click here or call 01778 391123.

• RMweb Premium

I presume this is association football at the ground built on a former rubbish dump.

Chris 

Quite! I'm not a Gunners fan, but I can bear a few hours in the ground. :O

Booked the tickets then realised that Ally Pally was the same weekend, although I might have given the exhibition a miss anyway after several years on the trot.

Maybe I'll try one of the other Warner's exhibitions for a change.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

What time's the game?  Emirates (pride of London) is just up the road from the Palace, so why not do both?  Otherwise, there's always two days in a weekend....

polybear

• RMweb Premium

What time's the game?  Emirates (pride of London) is just up the road from the Palace, so why not do both?  Otherwise, there's always two days in a weekend....

polybear

Hi Polybear,

3 o'clock kick off.

I normally go to Ally Pally by car. Then afterwards I'd need to park somewhere near the ground in an unfamiliar area. So public transport for us, which makes both on one day a  tight fit.

We are travelling with others who are not railway enthusiasts. Well one could be, be my daughter wouldn't let me hear the last of it. :no:

To be honest, I've not got the inclination to go this year. As I said, maybe one of the other big shows for a change.

Rob

Edit: £12 x 2 plus £40 x 2 = new loco'

• Administrators

Here's the RMweb Theatre Schedule for the show:

11am - 11.20am:       The Stokesay Junction Team                       The BRM Project Layout Update

11.30am - 12pm:       Craig Weatherley                                          Gaugemaster's Z21 System Demo

12.10pm - 12.30pm:  Dennis Lovett from Bachmann                      Research - a dying art?

12.40pm - 1pm:         Ian Bishop (legomanbiffo)                             Recording for DCC Sound

1.10pm - 1.30pm:      Richard Johnson from DCC Concepts          Keeping the digital promise

1.40pm - 2pm:           Hornby Development Team                          An insight into Hornby Research and Development

2.10pm - 2.30pm:      David Palmer from Train-Tech                      Hands on Light & Sound with Train-Tech

2.40pm - 3pm:           Dave Mylett from Hatton's                             Hatton's Limited Editions: from the 14 to the 14xx

Make sure you pre-book your tickets here: https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Exhibitions/-6/The_London_Festival_of_Railway_Modelling/

I've looked at the list of layouts on display a ally pally, very disappointed again, it's good job exhibition managers advertise what's on at there shows.

its weird the same people get it right at Peterborough and get it so wrong for ally pally

....Besides, £12? Really?

What are you complaining about? £12 is dirt cheap for any sort of major public exhibition or show. The Ideal Home Show, on at the same time at Olympia, costs £19.50 on the door (sat & sun), or £14 booked in advance. Then look at the price of a football match or theatre ticket.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry that you feel disappointed about the layouts on display, makes us that are taking time to exhibit our layouts feel really positive.... Surely regardless of your particular modelling genre good modelling is good modelling?

For those members that are attending please come and say hello at Fisherton Sarum http://grahammuz.com/category/fisherton-sarum/will be good to see you.

• RMweb Gold

What are you complaining about? £12 is dirt cheap for any sort of major public exhibition or show. The Ideal Home Show, on at the same time at Olympia, costs £19.50 on the door (sat & sun), or £14 booked in advance. Then look at the price of a football match or theatre ticket.

Agree absolutely - and considering the amount of trade presence plus a good selection of layouts it's a very good bargain for £12 in my view; the one day Abingdon show last week was £8 although Basingstoke is still exceptional at only a fiver and Wycrail is excellent value at £6.  

But Ally Pally is a large venue with lots of everything and some very good layouts - if those that will be there don't happen to float someone's particular boat then fair enough, but in my view that's no reason to go round condemning other folks' taste and modlling choices if they don't happen to agree with one's own.  As Muz has said 'good modelling is good modelling' - and should be appreciated for what it is, not necessarily what it is of.

Agree absolutely - and considering the amount of trade presence plus a good selection of layouts it's a very good bargain for £12 in my view; the one day Abingdon show last week was £8 although Basingstoke is still exceptional at only a fiver and Wycrail is excellent value at £6.  

But Ally Pally is a large venue with lots of everything and some very good layouts - if those that will be there don't happen to float someone's particular boat then fair enough, but in my view that's no reason to go round condemning other folks' taste and modlling choices if they don't happen to agree with one's own.  As Muz has said 'good modelling is good modelling' - and should be appreciated for what it is, not necessarily what it is of.

Agreed, though personally I thought Abingdon was a little pricey for what there was, and Ally Pally offers less than Warley for a similar price (though in my case it's cheaper to get to AP than Warley so the two balance out a bit).

No issues with the layouts but I can't say I'm terribly impressed with the list of talks - whilst I'm sure a talk on the Hornby development process will be interesting, it's not really of any practical use unless someone's planning on starting a rival company!

You pays your money and takes your choice. Enjoy the show. Comparisons to non modelling events aren't of any use I'm afraid.

You pays your money and takes your choice. Enjoy the show. Comparisons to non modelling events aren't of any use I'm afraid.

They very much are when it comes to the cost of organising an event in the most expensive city in the world! Venue fees are priced in regard to the going rate for the wide variety of other events that could be held there. There's no God given right to have a model railway show, you have to pay the market rate.

Every year these debates come up regarding the bigger shows, and every year the same old arguments about why people won't be going. Just remember that this is the largest show in the south east, and for Londoners without cars, it's increasingly the only chance we ever get to buy anything model railway related in person.

• RMweb Gold

I've looked at the list of layouts on display a ally pally, very disappointed again, it's good job exhibition managers advertise what's on at there shows.

its weird the same people get it right at Peterborough and get it so wrong for ally pally

Oh well I will let Mike know that there are those dissappointed in his layout 'Star Lane', not that he will really give a damn!!!

I know the person who goes out hunting for layouts every single weekend. Ok he probably enjoys doing so but he really does look out for new layouts etc.to try and put on the best show they can. People dont build award winning layouts every year so there will always be a limit as to what can be got.

Yes its big venue and not easy to get into set up and dismantle but its the closest big show there is to central London so its always going to be dearer than  further out.

The show is always busy so I think that really speaks for its self.

• Administrators

Railway modellers seem to think they live in a bubble where everything should still cost tuppence ha'penny. Outside the hobby, most exhibitions already cost considerably more than £12 to attend (yes I know there are exceptions) if they take place in an exhibition hall. These places cost the price of a modest car to hire for a weekend and then have to be half filled with exhibits that cost money.

Then we have moans about catering prices with people moaning that their hot sausage roll costs more than the price of a cold once from the local discount freezer centre instead of comparing costs with a pub meal where the facilities are more comparible. (I know exhibition catering is still a bit more expnsive - bring sandwiches).

I'm not saying costs don't matter but if you do look outside the hobby, most shows represent terrific value for money compared to pretty much any other activity short of sitting in the dark at home and mumbling to yourself.

• Administrators

I know the person who goes out hunting for layouts every single weekend. Ok he probably enjoys doing so but he really does look out for new layouts etc.to try and put on the best show they can. People dont build award winning layouts every year so there will always be a limit as to what can be got.

Yes its big venue and not easy to get into set up and dismantle but its the closest big show there is to central London so its always going to be dearer than  further out.

The show is always busy so I think that really speaks for its self.

I understand that the loayouts for Ally Pally are booked by the Model Railway Club, wheras Peterborough and Doncaster are booked by Warners Exhibitions. What you are suggesting is that shows booked by modellers aren't as good as those that are! :O

Edit for typo.

I understand that the loayouts for Ally Pally are booked by the Model Railway Club, wheras Peterborough and Doncaster are booked by Warners Exhibitions. What you are suggesting is that shows booked by modellers aren't as good as those that aren't! :O

My thoughts also Phil. I've always thought that of the Warners Shows, Ally Pally is consistently the best organised and the best in terms of variety and overall standard of layouts...

Wouldn't it be boring if we all had the same taste!  Do any two of us have completely the same idea of what is meant by a good layout?

Chris

Archived