MRJ 236

David Bigcheeseplant

• RMweb Premium

It was all getting a bit like a primary school playground scuffle and so I must admit that it was probably me that used my Lunchtime Supervisory skills to get the situation OT.

However J.A. must get the full blame for any distraction. I'm sure the true MRJ gang will just ignore all this cr*p and get on with their P4 stuff.

P

You think they read this?

Andy

Its Taylor Swift who plays decent songs these days ;)

Does Tyler Swift "play" songs, call for questions.jpg ?.

Or if you meant writes/sings decent songs, then depending on a definition of "decent", it would be cross.jpg.

To enter into a discussion would be OT, full of subjective opinion and better discussed in its own thread.

• RMweb Premium

Does Tyler Swift "play" songs, call for questions.jpg ?.

Or if you meant writes/sings decent songs, then depending on a definition of "decent", it would be cross.jpg.

To enter into a discussion would be OT, full of subjective opinion and better discussed in its own thread.

Where's Kenton when you need him?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

JA sings??

Mike.

Most people sing. Even I do sometimes in the privacy of my own home. When the girls are out. And the neighbours both sides are away.

But the Taylor Swift reference really did come in from left field.

If I add something like "James Anderson plays some good cricket for England", it is very difficult to argue with but quite where it takes a thread about MRJ is not something I am too sure about!

• RMweb Gold

Getting slightly back on thread.........

As much as I did enjoy the article on the 5" wagons, surelY this falls outside of the scope of the magazine, is this not 'engineering'?

Or again a filler perhaps?

What do others think.......?

I think the way Doug and others build wagons to scale is firmly in the 'modelling' category, yes, there are engineering skills involved but there are in many of the smaller scales. Also there are many wagons, including some of these that are available as kits.

Getting slightly back on thread.........

As much as I did enjoy the article on the 5" wagons, surelY this falls outside of the scope of the magazine, is this not 'engineering'?

Or again a filler perhaps?

What do others think.......?

I'm inclined to agree as anything over Gauge 1 tends to be seen as model engineering requiring the use of rather more heavy duty machinery and the skill to use them. It was still interesting though.

• RMweb Premium

I'm inclined to agree as anything over Gauge 1 tends to be seen as model engineering requiring the use of rather more heavy duty machinery and the skill to use them. It was still interesting though.

I did spot a difference to the model engineering I am familiar with...

The typical real steam 'bigger than gauge 1' we see are invariably spotless. Brasses polished within an inch of its life whilst an 18 stone bearded bloke straddles the tender and fiddles with the tiny shovel and controls. The models in the article have been painted and weathered in the same way any finescale modeller would do. I don't know how they operate the motive power but as long as it is remote it should look and sound fantastic.

can't believe with all of that fuss over the class 25's nobody mentioned the clearly out of scale fir tree on the front cover. By the way as a steam fan I was starting to learn what a class 25 looked like... My confidence is now shot.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

The essential difference between model engineering and model railways it seems to me is that model engineers produce individual items - often just a tender because they die of old age before finishing the loco!

People like Doug are railway modellers because they try to produce a complete railway scene. Admittedly it takes a lot of outdoor space and a big budget but it seems to me that this is the difference. Any views?

I asked earlier in this thread how many people model in this gauge and got a few answers but some of those seemed to me possibly to fall into the model engineer category in that all they had achieved was a loco. (All is the wrong word as it is a magnificent achievement, but I can't think of a better one.)

Jonathan

Clearly there's no definitive difference between railway modelling and model engineering but maybe it comes down to the tools used. Scalpels, solder and glue at one end, lathes, milling machines and bolts at the other. Again, not definitive but a reflection of what is involved.

I've an outdoor line in G, it certainly isn't model engineering as it's largely RTR Bachmann stuff. Modified, electronics and sound fitted but I'm using modelling skills and tools, not engineering skills. If I were to add live steam, turned, machined and bolted, I'm into model engineering.

• RMweb Premium

Clearly there's no definitive difference between railway modelling and model engineering but maybe it comes down to the tools used. Scalpels, solder and glue at one end, lathes, milling machines and bolts at the other. Again, not definitive but a reflection of what is involved.

I've an outdoor line in G, it certainly isn't model engineering as it's largely RTR Bachmann stuff. Modified, electronics and sound fitted but I'm using modelling skills and tools, not engineering skills. If I were to add live steam, turned, machined and bolted, I'm into model engineering.

Arthur...  Do you sit on the tender?

Andy

• RMweb Premium

For me it isn't so much about scale, the distinction comes from what the desired result is.

Railway modelling = a model of a railway (or at least part of a railway!)

Model engineering = scale model of a specific feat of engineering  

I'd say that in railway modelling the emphasis is on a creating a believable and realistic scale model of the railway and its surroundings.  For the model engineer my perception is that the goal is in producing a scale (working) model of a loco or item of stock; often including features like live steam or (in the case of the wagons in MRJ) working brakes.  I think the scale and the tools/techniques used be the model engineer are chosen as a means of achieving the desired end result.

Based on my definition, I'd place the the wagons in MRJ into the the model engineering pigeon hole (if taken in isolation with no idea of the context which they are operated in); but that's not to say I didn't enjoy looking at and reading about them, on the contrary I found them inspirational. 

Archived