MRJ 236

David Bigcheeseplant

I don't think Jim Smith-Wright posts on forums anymore, just his website. I wouldn't call a couple of posts a month prolific.

Best regards

Simon

Hello Andy

I haven't been here long but I know he hasn't posted on the other forums I am a member of for a long time now. I have not seen any of his stuff here but up then I have not looked too hard.

I hope that clears up any confusion

Best regards

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Oh come come dear Captain, stop lobbing the sauerkraut and get with the bratwurst....

I thought the editorial was just great, witty, a bit cheeky, pretty damn apposite and he had the decency to offer it up for assassination at the end(!) 

And prefacing a thundering great article showcasing "Black Country Blues" which unashamedly (and quite rightly) talks about and amply demonstrates the friendship, pleasure and huge benefit that RMweb has given its participants. (Plus talking endless cobblers of course) After referencing Arthur's gloriously funny Hitler sketch in issue 235 I think it is just great to see RMweb and MRJ "colliding" to such great effect in issue 236.

And then cast your mind back to pre internet days and a canal trip or two around the Black Country, then look at Andy's pictures of the canal on BCB in MRJ - how fantastic is that?

Now I've started I'll have to finish; there's nothing I don't like on BCB and I think the photography and angles chosen in the MRJ article were stunning (and as I mentioned above the canal aspects have absolutely "nailed it" for to me) but the single aspect that really blows my fuses is that British Steel lorry - beautifully observed modelling.

Going back to the magazine proper, after Gauge One on the cover last month we now have 5 inch gauge for this issue, and what an awe inspiring wagon, I'm scratch building one of those in gauge one at the moment and I've certainly got something to aim for now.

So come on matey, less "Mainwaring" and more "Le Mesurier", we know you can do it :drinks:  

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Surely on of the advantages of this forum is that there is rather more space to allow chit chat, witicisms, and general lightheartedness, magazines are more restricted. There is also more space for details of construction and the capability of asking questions and getting feedback quickly before the construction moves on.  I find that some of the most informative threads are also full of light hearted comments. I dont think that is a coincidence a thread can build a sense of community.

Apart from that I agree with CK its my time to spend as I wish. Mr Jackson is welcome to his view but I have read some of his other opinions.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Well, like anything else, and it's been said time and time again on this forum, if one don't like the content of any specific posts, one doesn't have to read them. Surely we're all capable of skipping over the dross until you find something interesting...?

Yes, all this whimsey is largely a load of rubbish and a waste of valuable (modelling) time, but my comments above refer.

I'm certainly not going to stop the sausages while I'm in the mood, unless Andy specifically asks me to do so. Or perhaps we should have a poll and see whether the forum readership wants all references to sausages (and why not all foods) never to be mentioned again in serious, grown-up threads.

It may not be productive, but sometimes in life, this kind of thing serves a need...

I refer the Honourable Gentleman to one of my earlier, pointless written answers.

So is it OK if every thread degenerates into page after page of unfunny schoolboy humour or is it only allowed on MRJ threads?

• RMweb Gold

So is it OK if every thread degenerates into page after page of unfunny schoolboy humour or is it only allowed on MRJ threads?

Your opinion. Personally I would rather a bit of banter that the nasty unpleasantness that appears in many places on the web. Some of it seems to come on here now and again and be related to taking things too seriously. There appeared to be an increase in banter when some comments seemed to be getting a bit serious about a particular article. Coincidence?

Don

• RMweb Gold

I thought the editorial was just great, witty, a bit cheeky, pretty damn apposite and he had the decency to offer it up for assassination at the end(!) 

Simon

I'd have to agree with Simon here. Anyone who knows Roy will know that he doesn't pull his punches. Read his articles, for example, on the debate over rigid/sprung chassis and you will see he doesn't mince his words - and having watched his locos hurtle around Retford at great speed and rock steady it's difficult to argue! Whether you agree or not with what he says, you have to raise a smile to the way he says it.

Its ok to have a bit of banter on any thread isnt it? . or are MRJ ones somehow better than all the rest? i]

That's the point Mickey, MRJ threads are not better, they tend to be much , much worse. In fact I'd go as far as to say that the quality of the MRJ threads seems to be inversely proportional to the quality of the mag. I'd be interested to know (Andy?) but I suspect MRJ threads have one of the highest proportions of having to be locked on the forum.

I like a bit of fun and banter and am certainly not averse to chucking the odd grenade in myself but MRJ threads for some reason regularly descend into nonsense and sniping that have very little to do with the actual content. The 234 thread reached new heights of nonsense, then we had a lengthy thread on 235 before it even appeared then, when it did, it went off on a tangent about an editorial in another publication and the future of kit building in 4mm. The fantastic modelling from the brilliant John Greenwood and Brian Harrap et el barely got a mention. Now, with 236, we again descend into a debate about whether the guest editor is entitled to voice an opinion. Agree with him or not, of course he's entitled.

Je suis Roy:-)

My beef is that having fretted, as the previous guest editor, over whether to put a Gauge 1 garden railway on the cover Roy well and truly upstages me with 5" gauge!!

I thought it another great issue. I got to see BCB for the first time last year and was hugely impressed. Early 70s grubby blue diesels are very much my thing and Andy's photos really do it justice.

Jerry

I was most surprised to be unable to find a contact e-mail anywhere in the magazine. Nor could I find one by Googling, nor for Cygnet Publications.    As things stand it seems that the only way to contact the magazine is by phone or letter. Am I right?

Why?

Postal address is easy enough to obtain and it seems to work for them.

In the past various editors have published email addresses but for a long time that has not been the case.

We are not, yet, compelled to all use the same methods of communication.

Long may MRJ plough it's lone furrow.

The very quirkiness and unexpected content and comment is one of the aspects that attracts me to it.

Going by the banter generated on a regular basis it would seem that quite a number of people feel the same way.

Yes, you are right.

Bernard

Je suis Roy:-)

PMSL.

I'd be interested to know (Andy?) but I suspect MRJ threads have one of the highest proportions of having to be locked on the forum.

Out of the magazine related topics? Absolutely; could it be because of the increased likelihood of the acronyms EM and P4? Or some of the characters who choose to make their opinion known? I did lock the original 235 that John set up because it did go very wobbly and the mag hadn't appeared. I know John had set it up to deflect from some of 234's descent into the mire over wheelgate.

• RMweb Gold

Jerry, I think the fact that John's magnificent work and Brian's P87 masterpiece both feature in threads on here and those who appreciate them comment directly on the threads. I have not seen anywhere adverse comments about either.

As for Roy I have admired his work since seeing High Dyke. However his coments on rigid/sprung chassis does not accord with my experience. It is a good thing to relate ones experiences to inform others but it is easy to be too prescriptive.

Don

• RMweb Gold

PMSL.

Out of the magazine related topics? Absolutely; could it be because of the increased likelihood of the acronyms EM and P4? Or some of the characters who choose to make their opinion known? I did lock the original 235 that John set up because it did go very wobbly and the mag hadn't appeared. I know John had set it up to deflect from some of 234's descent into the mire over wheelgate.

As one of those who participated in the original 235 thread. I was having a bit of a poke at MRJ for the reliability of it's publishing dates. A way of commenting without being too offensive?

Don

• RMweb Gold

Jerry, I think the fact that John's magnificent work and Brian's P87 masterpiece both feature in threads on here and those who appreciate them comment directly on the threads. I have not seen anywhere adverse comments about either.

As for Roy I have admired his work since seeing High Dyke. However his coments on rigid/sprung chassis does not accord with my experience. It is a good thing to relate ones experiences to inform others but it is easy to be too prescriptive.

Don

Don, I never said there was adverse comment, just virtually no comment at all in the MRJ thread.

As for rigid/ sprung chassis, can you point me toward your experience of sprung chassis going through complex pointwork at a scale 100 miles an hour with twelve on, rock steady and utterly reliably. The same can be said of Tony Wright's Little Bytham. Roy tells it how it is, I don't think it's particularly prescriptive.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

Its ok to have a bit of banter on any thread isnt it? . or are MRJ ones somehow better than all the rest?  I  really do get that feeling that the old tweed jacket approach  is still far too alive and well in some quarters

There arn't really any prizes for not liking  a bit of a laugh about stuff you know*...Being too serious isnt good - it just comes across as boring and, dare i say, it a bit anorak like

Oh go on tell me you really  are amusing  and fun to be with and stuff then ;)

*Its small trains not life saving...choo choo

I may not be the funniest bloke in the world but some of the stuff on the recent RMWeb threads made me seem more like Michael McIntyre in comparison.

A bit of banter is fine.

Many pages of dross and a locked thread........no thanks.

Off down to the shed to do some modelling now so please feel free to fill the next few pages with whatever hilarious stuff you like and I may look in for a chuckle later.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it's just fine. I am unrepentant with regard to my own contributions to the schoolboy humour, please feel free to ignore same if you're not in the mood... :)

• RMweb Gold

Oh come come dear Captain, stop lobbing the sauerkraut and get with the bratwurst....

So come on matey, less "Mainwaring" and more "Le Mesurier", we know you can do it :drinks:  

Ah yes, Simon, nice of you to join us.

Thank you for your support. I shall always wear it.

• RMweb Gold

Read his articles, for example, on the debate over rigid/sprung chassis and you will see he doesn't mince his words - and having watched his locos hurtle around Retford at great speed and rock steady it's difficult to argue! 

And on that score, I find myself in close agreement with his sentiments!

Has anyone seen my pet camel please?

FOUND IT!

post-508-0-22722500-1422020014.jpg

Please collect ASAP. It's eating me out of house & home but wurst of all... it keeps telling me how to play with my train set!

P

Ps sent via my PC whilst @ my modelling bench also.        

• RMweb Premium

FOUND IT!

attachicon.gifLotus99Tsm2.jpg

Please collect ASAP. It's eating me out of house & home but wurst of all... it keeps telling me how to play with my train set!

P

Ps sent via my PC whilst @ my modelling bench also.        

Are you determined to give me the hump..........

Lunch break, followed by a thrilling afternoon of hospital visiting.

If I had internet in the shed I would get nowt done at all!

Archived