MRJ 236

David Bigcheeseplant

• RMweb Gold

He does look in regularly and is a member, he won't tell me his name on here though...

One of the things that some people don't like about internet fora (although not necessarily Mr Jackson, because I don't know him) is the anonymity that a pseudonym provides.

However, I see that he's quite happy to stay anonymous himself! Perhaps it's one aspect of fora that he is OK with?

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps the inspiration for Mordor may have come from just up the road from the Black country, Coalbrookdale/Ironbridge with the famous painting of the Bedlam furnace. I do remember leaving the car outside a factory in Wendsfield while working inside. Came out to find it covered in  gritty black stuff would have been ideal for modelling ash/clinker ballast.

Don

I find with modelling there is a lot of down time waiting for glue to set, transfers to dry, etc, etc. This could probably be avoided by organised mass production, but otherwise a session on RMWeb is one of a number of ways I use the 'gap' time.

Hi Neil - Jim S-W certainly has, but my case is mentioned in post 37 on this thread...

Well, perhaps not the MRJ mate, but you ARE a published modeller, exhibitor, SWAGer and still find time to organise the Taunton show..........

AND photograph and write some great threads on here.........

Perhaps you need to introduce a certain guest editor either to bratwurst or parsnips, and perhaps find an alternative use for them? ;)

I think you are absolutely right there, Jol, but he's on very thin ice, because it's none of his dam*ed business how much time I spend on a forum as compared to modelling, (or why that happens to be the case just now).

I would agree with anyone that thinks Mr Jackson might 'have a thing' about internet forums, but to criticise the amount of time anyone spends on them 'instead of modelling' is simply indulging himself, in my view, and has no place in the editorial of a magazine like MRJ (if it appeared on the Letters page, oddly enough, I wouldn't have a problem with that, because it's simply one individual's personal opinion).

Tim,

perhaps he doesn't understand why people spend so much time on the internet telling the  manufacturers how they should run their business, what they should produce, how much they should charge for it, etc. rather than having a go at creating for themselves the things they say they so desperately need/want.

It is perhaps an indicator of the widening gulf within railway modelling between those that want "layout ready" products and those that prefer to make/assemble what they want. I am in the latter category, because what I want isn't available RTR/RTP and because the making of things is what I enjoy.

Jol

Knowing said editor reasonably well and we do have some very entertaining regular conversations I would say there's a chance he may enjoy being a little provocative on occasion (stop laughing at the back) and enjoy some of the banter from the sidelines. Occasionally some 'names' may crop up in conversation along with some earthy comments about whether they actually do do any modelling. I'm surprised Auntie ever allowed the kids programme title "Why Don't You Just Switch Off Your Television Set and Go Out and Do Something Less Boring Instead?" but it could apply to some folk within the context of this site and the hobby. I perfectly accept there's a mix of CMWM, dabblers and ditherers (self included there) through to the prolific and inspirational on here. Not everyone's a fan of the internet, RMweb or other social media but as serious attempts to try and qualify comparisons have indicated RMweb is the third busiest site within the hobby in the world so we're bound to get a cross-section. Where would the average Journal reader sit in that spectrum? I'd say there's as many at one end of the spectrum as there is the other and if non-modelling RMweb users bugs the editor it's probably balanced by a personal view of mine of non-modelling Journal badge-wearers wanting to know if it's in Smiths yet.

Mordor? A lot more appealing than the "Lost City". ;)

Enjoy Roy's editorial but don't take it toooooo seriously (if you do do/have ever done some modelling).

The pictures don't mention the Lost City's reputation though.......

(Apologies for the thread diversion- my other hobby is genealogy and local history)

It sure as hell ain't the lost city of Atlantis with traces of early civilisation and untold riches. ;)

It sure as hell ain't the lost city of Atlantis with traces of early civilisation and untold riches. ;)

That's a real thread diversion as we're now into tunes by 'The Shadows' : Atlantis and, I think they did do an obscure track called the Lost City (about 20-30 years after they did 'The Frightened City)

That's a real thread diversion as we're now into tunes by 'The Shadows' : Atlantis and, I think they did do an obscure track called the Lost City (about 20-30 years after they did 'The Frightened City)

...and appeared as themselves on Thunderbirds...

• RMweb Gold

perhaps he doesn't understand why people spend so much time on the internet telling the  manufacturers how they should run their business, what they should produce, how much they should charge for it, etc. rather than having a go at creating for themselves the things they say they so desperately need/want.

Jol - perhaps he does also have that view (we all know that the above is extensively debated on fora such as this), but I didn't really get that this was the message in his editorial.

Archived