MRJ 236

David Bigcheeseplant

• RMweb Gold

Complete with 'Tina!!

Ah yes, just noticed that! I'd been looking for her in the cut!

I think that this is without doubt one of the most inspiring layouts to have graced MRJ for some time, I do hope I can get to a show where it's being exhibited sometime.

• RMweb Premium

It's always a bit of a bridesmaid, it's difficult to get well-composed shots at that end (because of the position of the industrial line overbridge) which is a shame as John did a magnificent job of the tunnel entrance (a copy of Heathtown tunnel in Wolverhampton); this shot used in BRM is probably the best view of it.

attachicon.gifFeature18small.jpg

Good job we missed out the occupational bridge that was on John's plan. You wouldn't see the industrial bridge or the tunnel!

Regarding bridesmaid bridges, the steel viaduct I built is ignored more than the BCN structure. It must be the proximity to the cottages...

• RMweb Gold

I wonder whether I am reading too much into this, but has the change of publisher restricted the availability of the MRJ? I have tried three outlets (Martins ,Smiths and an independent) where it is usually stocked, and none of them had any. Now I know that as I don't buy every issue, I have no right to EXPECT to just wander into a shop and buy a copy, but I usually can - not this month :stink:

• RMweb Premium

I wonder whether I am reading too much into this, but has the change of publisher restricted the availability of the MRJ? I have tried three outlets (Martins ,Smiths and an independent) where it is usually stocked, and none of them had any. Now I know that as I don't buy every issue, I have no right to EXPECT to just wander into a shop and buy a copy, but I usually can - not this month :stink:

Before I took out a subscription, I often found that my local Smiffs was a few days late getting their copies in.

Adrian

It's such a cracking issue, they've sold out!

Seriously, I saw it in Smiffs at the White Rose Centre, Leeds, on Sunday.

It's such a cracking issue, they've sold out!

Nah...  It's selling out cos of all the publicity it's received over the last few issues via RMweb. Either that or everybody heard RJ was the editor... :)

P

I read through it in Ian Allan today. As the content was mostly teasing, I didn't buy it.

Roll on MRJ 237.

Yes, the BCB article really is a stunner. I saw the layout at ExpoEM North last autumn, and as my wife is a Black Country lass (though technically born in Worcestershire) I found the locations instantly recognisable; the modelling of the BCN as it was back then and before it (mostly) got prettified is especially fine. And Black Lion Crossing takes me back too...

A little more 'How to' would be nice, though; inspiration is one thing, good advice is another, and on these cold mornings I need both!

You can be born in Worcestershire and be in the 'Black Country' - I have always live in Dudley, at the heart of the Black Country, and Dudley was in Worcestershire (an island surrounded by Staffordshire!) - but perversely I was born in Staffordshire as the local maternity home was in Sedgley, which was just over the border! Believe it or not Dudley Castle was also in Staffordshire as it was also in the boundary of the ancient parish of Sedgley!!

I believe Mr Jackson once referred to MRJ as a comic. It's in one of the early issues somewhere, but I'm not going to try and find it.

I wish I had known that when I got told off for describing the magazines in general as comics!  What finer witness for the defence could one have?

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Spot on CK... How BCB was built has been covered in around 15 articles in BRM and in some detail on here. We didn't want a carbon copy of any of the BRM articles as that approach tends to leave people feeling shortchanged.

The angle we took was to describe the very different way the layout came about and the non-club crowd sourced way it was built. Given the comments in Roy's editorial, I think this shows that forums can (sometimes) produce more than talk about sausages.

I'm somewhat bored by run of the mill layout articles that that follow the Railway Modeller "baseboards constructed of 2x1" timber and sundella..." template. Now that would be a thrilling article ;-p

It is odd that in an edition where the editor takes a pop at forums and to some that contribute to them, the main feature layout is born of one such forum and celebrates all the good that at least this one can bring.

There is nothing like a well themed edition.

In saying all of that, thank you Mrj and of course Mr York and his fantastic photos for allowing BCB To be showcased.

Don't worry, not bitter about not being n the cover.... Those big wagons are fantastic - can you buy them ready to run?

Andy

Regarding the use of the word comic.

The main national weekly cycling magazine has always, for as long as I have been around, been known as "The Comic".

What proportion of those who use the term is sarcasm and what endearment, I do not know.

The use of the term goes way back before the birth of MRJ.

Bernard

It is odd that in an edition where the editor takes a pop at forums and to some that contribute to them, the main feature layout is born of one such forum and celebrates all the good that at least this one can bring.

There is nothing like a well themed edition.

In saying all of that, thank you Mrj and of course Mr York and his fantastic photos for allowing BCB To be showcased.

Don't worry, not bitter about not being n the cover.... Those big wagons are fantastic - can you buy them ready to run?

Andy

Andy,

I didn't see it as being a pop at forums per se, but rather at those who spend their time participating at length on forum topics, rather than doing some modelling.

Interesting, is it not, that a MRJ editorial creates comment, whereas the other "mainstream" magazines do not.

Jol

You can be born in Worcestershire and be in the 'Black Country' - I have always live in Dudley, at the heart of the Black Country, and Dudley was in Worcestershire (an island surrounded by Staffordshire!) - but perversely I was born in Staffordshire as the local maternity home was in Sedgley, which was just over the border! Believe it or not Dudley Castle was also in Staffordshire as it was also in the boundary of the ancient parish of Sedgley!!

Yes, one of the saddest features of County Reorganisation has been the way in which all the 'Part of XXX' counties disappeared - those little enclaves always used to fascinate me, and indeed accounted for my good lady's birth as a Worcestershire lass and her dad's fanatic following of the Worcestershire cricket team. (I once employed a chap whose birth certificate assured me that he had been born at Corwen in the counties of Flint and Denbigh. Work that out!)

My in-laws always regarded Dudley as the 'posh' place to shop, and it always had the slight air of 'county town' about it, which I think has largely gone now. Sadly I never got to travel to Baptist End Halt or Windmill End Halt - they'd closed before I ever knew about them.

I see that there have been suggestions that the Black Country was Tolkein's inspiration for the 'Black Land' of Mordor, with its fumes and flames rising from every part. Sounds about right to me, though in an odd way I came to love the place, and the layout really does do it justice. Smashing!

Yes, one of the saddest features of County Reorganisation has been the way in which all the 'Part of XXX' counties disappeared - those little enclaves always used to fascinate me, and indeed accounted for my good lady's birth as a Worcestershire lass and her dad's fanatic following of the Worcestershire cricket team. (I once employed a chap whose birth certificate assured me that he had been born at Corwen in the counties of Flint and Denbigh. Work that out!)

My in-laws always regarded Dudley as the 'posh' place to shop, and it always had the slight air of 'county town' about it, which I think has largely gone now. Sadly I never got to travel to Baptist End Halt or Windmill End Halt - they'd closed before I ever knew about them.

I see that there have been suggestions that the Black Country was Tolkein's inspiration for the 'Black Land' of Mordor, with its fumes and flames rising from every part. Sounds about right to me, though in an odd way I came to love the place, and the layout really does do it justice. Smashing!

Tolkien had relatives in the Black Country - in Great Bridge if my memory is correct - so that would make sense (I only know this as one of my wife's distant cousins married Tolkiens great aunt).

Sadly the only parts of the local railway I was familiar with are the freight liner depot on the site of the old Dudley station (long gone) and the line over Parkhead viaduct (which I live near to) - still there but now disused.

• RMweb Gold

I did chuckle at the editorial, two of the most prolific posters anywhere are our very own CK and Jim Smith-Wright, both of whom are very talented modellers, and I think they have possibly even written for the MRJ?

Perhaps an attempt at irony?

Hi Neil - Jim S-W certainly has, but my case is mentioned in post 37 on this thread...

• RMweb Gold

I didn't see it as being a pop at forums per se, but rather at those who spend their time participating at length on forum topics, rather than doing some modelling.

I think you are absolutely right there, Jol, but he's on very thin ice, because it's none of his dam*ed business how much time I spend on a forum as compared to modelling, (or why that happens to be the case just now).

I would agree with anyone that thinks Mr Jackson might 'have a thing' about internet forums, but to criticise the amount of time anyone spends on them 'instead of modelling' is simply indulging himself, in my view, and has no place in the editorial of a magazine like MRJ (if it appeared on the Letters page, oddly enough, I wouldn't have a problem with that, because it's simply one individual's personal opinion).

Archived