MRJ 236

David Bigcheeseplant

• RMweb Gold

It is perhaps an indicator of the widening gulf within railway modelling between those that want "layout ready" products and those that prefer to make/assemble what they want. I am in the latter category, because what I want isn't available RTR/RTP and because the making of things is what I enjoy.

Again, this is a topic that is much debated, on line and elsewhere, but I definitely didn't see this as what Mr Jackson meant in the editorial.

• RMweb Premium

There some highly dubious double standards going on here.

So it is OK for RMWebbers to have a real go at various aspects of products and publications, including MRJ.

But if somebody involved with MRJ should dare to say anything negative about RMWeb.............

The editorial in MRJ is simply Roy Jackson's own opinion. He is just as entitled to it as anybody else is to theirs.

After reading the last few MRJ threads (sorry - rubbish sausage joke/deliberately wasted page threads) I can see exactly where he is coming from.

Now if people would rather sit at a keyboard typing pointless posts to amuse themselves, that is their right and I don't see how Roy Jackson or anybody else can say otherwise. But is to express an opinion that there might be more worthwhile things to do with your precious time really so outrageous?

Tony

Perhaps the MRJ threads should be private, with perhaps an Initiation before you are allowed in? Would that help? Then it could be really serious with outbreaks of very seriousness.

You could say that reading the MRJ is a waste of precious time, time better spent modelling?

Having read, re read and re read again all 200 plus from edition 0, I'd hate to think how much time I've spent.

Managed to do some modelling along the way though, not that that's important.

It's been said before, lots of times, that RMWeb is a virtual club room, with all the banter that goes with it, so if one doesn't like the club room or the pointless chat, well that's up to the individual isn't it?

• RMweb Premium

Sorry I raised the question about Roy's internet use, which I intended to be light hearted. I'll have to learn to use the emoticons. Roy is a really great modeller, like so many on here.

I often look at RMWeb while waiting for paint to dry or solvent to harden. It is certainly easy to waste a lot of time and sometimes I do. But equally, while browsing I have found a great many useful threads which help to inform my modelling and keep me up to date on what is going on on the real railway (eg the Dawlish thread). I have also made some "friends" via RMWeb (if you can call someone you chat with on-line a friend). And when I can I try to answer questions posed by others - and unashamedly give the HMRS a plug when relevant.

Should we perhaps leave the topic now and get back to discussing the rest of the magazine? Or pasties/sausages/meat pies or whatever.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

True you can waste a lot of time on RMweb but I tend to do it when I wouldn't be modelling anyway. However Stationmaster's help with info for my loft layout has saved a lot of time and trouble so that is a real plus, then there are lots of inspiring threads if you look for them, ideas and tips a plenty. I find these days I am getting less from the magazines and much more from RMweb.

Mind you one advantage with the mag is I can read it while waiting at the hospital.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Don't suppose I'll ever rig up a PC for the throne room so that's were I read MRJ...

P

Apparently quite a few of them tablet thingies get dropped into the watery depths. I have heard some people use them to access the interwebby It would be be possible to balance my laptop across my knees but I would be in big trouble if that got a soaking.

Don

Returned overnight, and somewhat jaded, from considerably warmer climes to find my MRJ sub waiting for me and the BCB article in particular certainly perked me up.

Anyway, with reference to Roy's editorial, it seems I can claim to be swinging both ways so to speak! I had a brief mention in the last MRJ for my, non modelling, Hitler parody, and in this months issue an honourable mention for some actual modelling in the BCB article.

They're not mutually exclusive!!

Well now the Suns stopped page 3........ Perhaps the MRJ can take on the mantle.

Flavio did slip a Pirelli calendar into the pharmaceutical offices which is in the pic on Page 24 so there is a pair in this issue. :)

RMweb can be anything the user wants. However I suggest that one of its functions is to educate and inspire. I doubt there are many of us who haven't learned something from this forum, and I would suggest that (for example) learning what pitfalls await in constructing a particular loco kit is far from a waste of time, but rather the reverse.

At one time magazines fulfilled this role, and to an extent they do, but increasingly they are more about impressing the reader than explaining how something is achieved or providing prototype information. Presumably this is what the bulk of their readers want, along with, in the mainstream mags, access to a plethora of adverts. 

RMweb is now the first place I turn to if I want info. about a particular kit, or some prototype data. Often the answer can be found simply by searching the forum. The value of such an asset can scarcely be exaggerated.

Picked up my copy from 53A Models in Hull at lunchtime along with Finescale Railway Modelling Issue 2 (after Greystar initially sent Finescale Aircraft Modelling in error!).

A quick flick through showed an article by Doug Hewson on building 5 inch gauge wagons.

Assuming this is the same guy I met at an open day at the Rydale Association of Model Engineers at Gilling East near Malton then I'm not surprised the wagons are so good. I first met Doug over 30 years ago when I was trying to buy a house. Said house was a 200 year old former farm workers cottage/barn with many bulging walls and sagging roofs. The poor young assessor from the mortgage company nearly fainted when he saw it and insisted on a full structural survey and report. I duly contact a local firm of structural engineers and along came Doug. He took one look at it and agreed with me that there wasn't a problem. A report was furnished and the mortgage approved. Note, despite me knocking seven bells out of the house during its refurbishment it hasn't moved an inch and I'm still living there. So good to have met such a practical engineer!

Must admit RMweb has helped my modelling projects many times over the last few years. Long may it prosper. I like the diversity of projects / ideas / views / opinions / facts and of course, contributors.

Just bought today MRJ236, what an interesting issue (for me) - 5" gauge super detailed wagons with working vacuum brakes - wow.

Good tips on sorting out derailments / bad track with green / amber / red stickers on stock / derailment locations. (Adwalton article). Must buy some coloured tapes !!

Small handy hand vice - useful & handy, may make something similar.

Black country blues - well, what comments can I add, just superb. (especially the photo with the Western & clay empties). Now, Pie & Chips at 35p - Is gravy or pea wet extra ? Whose pies are they ? (Not Pukka I hope !!!!).

Black Lion - again a superb layout I hope one day to see if it goes on the exhibition circuit.

LNER Garratt - two of em no less !! - wish I had that level of skill / patience !!

And a one and three quarter page letter, a critique of Bob Essery's fine Dewsbury layout. Since I'm a Lancastrian I'll not comment further on matters of the White Rose county !!!

MRJ 236, a good £4.20's worth from WH Smith Wigan, along with a GBL Wainwright C Class for £9 (what the hell does a GC / GN 1960's modeller do with that little beauty ? - off to the scrapyard scene probably with the rest of em !!).

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

Now, Apollo mentions the critique of Dewsbury Midland...   It looked more like an assassination or 'death by 1000 cuts' to me....   Defiantly one to read in the throne room with a dampened swab, geological reference material and previous copies of the comic sorry MRJ.  I'm just please that the 'Doctor' is from Dewsbury and not Tipton otherwise the Geography and Geology of the Black country would seriously challenge our little valley.  Where do we confess and seek repentance.

Andy

I was most surprised to be unable to find a contact e-mail anywhere in the magazine. Nor could I find one by Googling, nor for Cygnet Publications.  I thought Roy Jackson's editorial, whilst a bit heavy-handed, was thought-provoking and was vindicated by how long it took me to wade through the "Bratwurst" comedy to find out  if anyone else has asked about the e-mail address. I have concluded that they haven't.  As things stand it seems that the only way to contact the magazine is by phone or letter. Am I right?

Meanwhile - there certainly does seem to be a need to separate the waffle and chat from the substance on RMWeb, and the substance could do with being better organized.

ChrisG

• RMweb Gold

There some highly dubious double standards going on here.

So it is OK for RMWebbers to have a real go at various aspects of products and publications, including MRJ.

But if somebody involved with MRJ should dare to say anything negative about RMWeb.............

I really don't think that this is the point here, Tony. There are no double standards as far as I can see. RMWeb people can criticise MRJ if they like (I don't criticise it, as an 'institution', anyway), and MRJ as a publication can criticise RMWeb/internet fora if it likes, it's a free country.

I didn't see Roy Jackson criticising RMWeb, rather it was a deliberate poke at those who (he felt) spent a lot of time of the forum, and he then had the cheek to suggest how they might better spend their time, and it is this to which I take exception.

• RMweb Gold

The editorial in MRJ is simply Roy Jackson's own opinion. He is just as entitled to it as anybody else is to theirs.

No, actually he's NOT entitled to voice that opinion in that way - ie. to criticise individuals and suggest how they might better spend their private time, when he's in the role of editor of a well-read and respected publication.

As I said earlier, if he'd said the same things in the form of a private letter in the 'Letters' section, I wouldn't mind at all, but to grandstand this view from the editor's chair is simply indulging himself, presumably 'just because he can'.

• RMweb Gold

After reading the last few MRJ threads (sorry - rubbish sausage joke/deliberately wasted page threads) I can see exactly where he is coming from.

Well, like anything else, and it's been said time and time again on this forum, if one don't like the content of any specific posts, one doesn't have to read them. Surely we're all capable of skipping over the dross until you find something interesting...?

After reading the last few MRJ threads (sorry - rubbish sausage joke/deliberately wasted page threads) I can see exactly where he is coming from.

Yes, all this whimsey is largely a load of rubbish and a waste of valuable (modelling) time, but my comments above refer.

I'm certainly not going to stop the sausages while I'm in the mood, unless Andy specifically asks me to do so. Or perhaps we should have a poll and see whether the forum readership wants all references to sausages (and why not all foods) never to be mentioned again in serious, grown-up threads.

It may not be productive, but sometimes in life, this kind of thing serves a need...

But is to express an opinion that there might be more worthwhile things to do with your precious time really so outrageous?

I refer the Honourable Gentleman to one of my earlier, pointless written answers.

It's the chat and waffle that makes this site what it is, and has been for quite a few years now.

Most of us kind of like and enjoy it.

There's also masses of substance, and some of the best modelling about.

I'm sure there are far more serious sites out there, if you wish to find them, but I don't think the vast majority have a problem with the forum as it is?????

The MRJ thread does on occasions get a little heated, but this only reflects the passion that some of us have for our hobby.

Archived