You are capturing the shed surrounds really nicely. Starting to look just like photos from the glory days of BR Steam.

Like the idea of the photo back scene Sorry can't help with sourcing that, I'm sure someone on RM web may be able too, you may have to use one of the other RM web sections for scenic's etc to get wider reach.

It's going to be impressive to see all the locos moving on and off shed.

Edited by SMR CHRIS

I'm keen to have a really good photographic backscene produced for Newton Grove. What I want is something similar to the background of what Rose Grove has in the 1960s. Can anyone give me advice of who I can contact in order to capture photos for a back scene or a company that produces a wide range of photo backscenes that could be ideal to use.

Many Thanks

You probably know this, but searching "rose grove" in Flickr will bring up dozens of photos. some of which show the surroundings.  In one of Colin Gifford's books there is a shot across the shed yard and main line to the hills beyond - Decline Of Steam, but in B/W.  There is at least one firm I have seen advertising at UK exhibitions, but can't remember details just now.  If I find a programme I will let you know.

Steve

• Like 1

I decided to get busy with the camera this morning and take a few snaps of the locos on shed at Newton Grove.

Looking in detail at them I am very happy with how the yard area is looking: ballast, weathering, rails, etc.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and feedback too  :)

post-17317-0-84178000-1434491621.jpg

post-17317-0-09561300-1434491642.jpg

post-17317-0-48027000-1434491654.jpg

post-17317-0-47628500-1434491669.jpg

post-17317-0-75484100-1434491688.jpg

post-17317-0-67529500-1434491703.jpg

post-17317-0-73334500-1434491723.jpg

post-17317-0-05710300-1434491750.jpg

post-17317-0-59559800-1434491763.jpg

post-17317-0-59411900-1434491772.jpg

• Like 7

Deposit has been paid for

Particularly liked the "wet look" wheel & balance weight.

Over-lubricated, or gloss varnish (or wet?)?

Best
Simon

Thank you Simon,

The 'wet look' on the wheel has been achieved by using Humbrol 'Gloss Oil Stain' was. This was applied after the loco had been airbrushed. Aim here was to show that build up of oil on the wheels that never gets cleaned anymore, while showing it as a recently used locomotive too.

So now that the weathering of the yard has been done I have sealed it with matt hair spray. This has toned it down a little and sealed all the powders. All the sides of the rails have been painted over with a liberal application of Humbrol Rust wash, which gives the best results I have ever seen, particularly after having the rails a matt black already.

The next job is going to be adding coal and spare rail in the yard, as per many photos I have, such as this:

post-17317-0-82821200-1434568550_thumb.jpg

post-17317-0-53969400-1434568579_thumb.jpg

I'll get cracking on finishing the pits too. All the sides have been done, I just need to install them and add a base to each.

I'm also adding loco and shed plates to more of the fleet now too.

• Like 7

I've started to add static grass to Newton Grove around the track that runs on the side of the shed and also the large vacant part of the yard on board #2 on the same road.  This has been inspired from photos of Rose Grove shed again. In the late 1960s at Rose Grove there were several areas of large grass areas, along with a few odd weeds and patches growing close to or between the tracks.

Below is the grass, freshly applied, and waiting to dry. I have combined two shades of static grass: One is a draw brown/straw shade and the other is more lush green. The mix is roughly 70% brown to 30% green. I wanted to make sure that the grass didn't look overly healthy and so that is why I have gone for more of the brown grass look.

post-17317-0-72757200-1434606184.jpg

post-17317-0-35414000-1434606202.jpg

post-17317-0-27961400-1434606229.jpg

post-17317-0-06422900-1434606261.jpg

Needless to say that I am looking forward to seeing the end result. The glue was placed randomly on the layout, making sure to not cover all the ballast, as I want to have a 'patchy - hard to grow here' look to it. I'll also put static grass on board #3 as this will help to disguise some of the join (which is larger than expected)

Most of the grass seen in these photos will brush away leaving the result I am looking at achieving because yes, it is far too much - but that's just the way it goes when applying this stuff to your layout.

Edited by Newtz1981
  • Like 7

Looking Good Jonathan

A tip with the static grass removal

Removal of loose grass fibres ----Try the vacuum cleaner with a old rag- stocking or sock over the end and you get two advantages

-1 helps keep the grass standing as brushing will flatten or break some fibres

-2 the recoverd fibres can be reused on the next application.

Next thing to lookout for is, the fingers of others they see the static grass -- it goes some thing like this ---"is that static grass ?" ---before you get to say "yes" and "please don't touch" --

• Like 1

Are you sure this is 7mm as it looks like a very well detailed 4mm layout?

Very nice indeed.

Pete

As the owner and modeller, yes I can assure you that this is a 7mm layout.

Thank you for the compliment  :)

The excess grass has been removed this morning and what remains looks brilliant. It has just the right shade to it, not too yellow and not too green and the patches perfectly show the ballast and coal dust underneath it. I am very pleased with the result so far. More static grass will go down later, after the road over bridge has been built at the entrance to the fiddle yard.

Slowly adding detail to the yard now I have cut some short lengths of rail and are in the early stages of weathering them up. The rails are painted matt black as a base and then will have Humbrol washes over them. To begin with I had given 1 coat of Rust wash to the rails. A long way to go but looking good so far.

Looking a photographs of Rose Grove in the mid-late 60s there were many rails that had been taken out and just left on the side of the track and in some cases in between the track too. This, naturally, is what I am replicating.

post-17317-0-76320200-1434667945.jpg

post-17317-0-74328500-1434667966.jpg

I am also starting to add coal to the scene. This is real coal (thanks to my local railway) and what you see here is just the start. There were parts of the shed area that were covered in coal and while I am not trying to cover the entire shed area with it I shall definitely be heavy handed where I feel it needs to be.

post-17317-0-21560400-1434667993.jpg

post-17317-0-41906500-1434668012.jpg

post-17317-0-50813900-1434668045.jpg

• Like 6

Newtz,

What glue did you use for the grass? (Sorry if you already said)

Does it show glossy under the grass at all?

Ta

Simon

Hi Simon,

I use the Noch 'Grass Glue' which is code 61130 Graskleber.

It looks to dry very clear and not really glossy either. I haven't had any issues with it at all.

Regards,

Newtz

Hello Newtz,

some good modelling going on there, but if I may say you have got your coal wrong. Have a look at the photo of the real shed, most of the lumps of coal are very large that are on the floor in the 6 foot and only after the end of the paved floor and with very little in the 4 foot.

The real photo looks to have been taken where some of the locos could have been lit up, the fire starter would have between ten and twenty locos to get going and would not want to put big lumps of coal on to a cold fire (he would not have the time to smash the big lump down, so he would just kick if off the footplate). After a few days someone would go around with a barrow and collect all of the coal and it would get used in the shed.   

So a few odd big lumps in a few areas but not piles of it! If you want piles of stuff use ash or smoke-box char.

OzzyO.

Here are some photos of Rose Grove that I am referring to as I model and add detail

post-17317-0-51518600-1434770140_thumb.jpg

post-17317-0-58584200-1434770188.jpg

post-17317-0-56755900-1434770216_thumb.jpg

post-17317-0-36297700-1434770292_thumb.jpg

post-17317-0-47439600-1434770327.jpg

As most of you are aware, Rose Grove is where I am getting my most inspiration from however I am bringing in a little bit of Newton Heath as well. For some reason, I don't know why exactly, I'm very drawn to Rise Grove MPD.

• Like 5

A pictures worth a thousand words

And you have to do it all from photos and book referenced material as we live so far from the subject and are way to young to have ever see any of the subjects we Choose to model. Blue boxes are what we would have seen as kids if we lived in the U K and their classed as historic now

From what I have been told by old Railway men the large slabs of coal (like seen in the photos), would have been left for the yard boy to pick up in a barrow and deal with, as the fireman wouldn't waste time breaking it up while working the loco unless there was no choice (it had to be used as nothing else left) and would be left on the tender footplate and then shoved out

As Jonathan would know from the preserved railway locos, throwing a peice that size in the fire box will result in a hole in the fire and a hole =cold =less steam=less go, in very basic terms.

Looking forward to more progress updates.

Always assuming you could physically lift it on your shovel, and get it in't'hole!

I've had pieces of coal like that over the years of firing. They are bloody heavy to lift and breaking them apart on the run is never enjoyable either.

• RMweb Gold

I decided to get busy with the camera this morning and take a few snaps of the locos on shed at Newton Grove.

Looking in detail at them I am very happy with how the yard area is looking: ballast, weathering, rails, etc.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and feedback too  :)

attachicon.gifIMG_5424.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_5430.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_5427.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_5433.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_5435.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_5437.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_5441.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_5438.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_5428.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_5434.jpg

Did I give you my permission to photograph me in my best brown suit!! :O

Great modelling Newtz

Rgds.........Mike

I've added the number plate and shed code plate to the Crab, as well as the plates on the tender. I have also ordered the Crab transfer set from Fox Transfers, which should arrive in a week or two. I'm looking forward to getting the lining done on this loco so that I can then weather it. Eventually it will look similar to the photo below:

post-17317-0-83993900-1434973384_thumb.jpg

Now a question for you all. I have the Derby builders plates for this model as well, however I have not attached them yet as I don't really know where they were placed. My guess is that they were placed on the frames that come out from under the smoke box and slope toward the pilot/buffer beam. Can anyone confirm this for me before I attached them onto the model.  :)

Edited by Newtz1981
  • Like 3

I've added the number plate and shed code plate to the Crab, as well as the plates on the tender. I have also ordered the Crab transfer set from Fox Transfers, which should arrive in a week or two. I'm looking forward to getting the lining done on this loco so that I can then weather it. Eventually it will look similar to the photo below:

attachicon.gifUSE THIS CRAB SHOT.jpg

Now a question for you all. I have the Derby builders plates for this model as well, however I have not attached them yet as I don't really know where they were placed. My guess is that they were placed on the frames that come out from under the smoke box and slope toward the pilot/buffer beam. Can anyone confirm this for me before I attached them onto the model.  :)

Errrrrr the Crabs were built at Horwich and Crewe, none at Derby...............the builder's plate was attached to the side of the smokebox.  Wikipedia has a photo showing its position.

Steve