• RMweb Gold

Found some more scans this evening whilst doing some housekeeping on the PC.

First a couple of D1051 Western Ambassador

At Bodmin Road on 7th June 1974, on the 0649 Bradford-Penzance service, normally a peak or 47 to Plymouth, then a Western into Cornwall. Much beloved of the Western haulage fans.

post-6925-0-91910500-1425333566_thumb.jpg

Then at Par on 22nd February 1975, on the 0930 Paddington-Penzance

post-6925-0-76318600-1425333759_thumb.jpg

Next Hymek D7023 at paddington in 1973 - a "panned' image of an earlier post. 1A92=1718 Paddington-Oxford edit it maybe earlier than 1973 as it was 1A82 then, the infamous service that resulted in the West Ealing disaster, December 1973.

post-6925-0-05008100-1425333785_thumb.jpg

And finally tonight D1034 Western Dragoon at Paddington on an unknown date, but looks like arriving on the 1610 Penzance-Paddington service, 1A09.

post-6925-0-39957100-1425333821_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 15

Hi Chaps

A few more for you

D1071 NEWPORT

D9550 at Newtown West Cardiff

D9515 Just left Radyr on the Up Rlf for Treforest and Pontypridd coal yard.

Cheers GARETH

Brilliant, absolutely priceless Gareth

Not just these two "nine-fivers" but your earlier post of the two alongside the coal stage at Radyr.

Just as I remember Radyr, when bunking around the place on Sunday mornings in the mid to late 60s.

Brian R

• Like 1

Brilliant, absolutely priceless Gareth

Not just these two "nine-fivers" but your earlier post of the two alongside the coal stage at Radyr.

Just as I remember Radyr, when bunking around the place on Sunday mornings in the mid to late 60s.

Brian R

Hi Brian

Yes it's how remembered it as well my uncle was a Driver at Radyr and i was taken there many times,then 41 years ago i started on the railway Radyr when the yard was in full swing. Great Days

Cheers Gareth  

Gareth,

Only one criticism ...... your photos of Radyr shed have failed to capture only one important thing ............ "the smell"

Everything else is there, the lines of silent locos, virtually no one about, the atmosphere.

This was the reward for walking along the rat infested rubbish strewn lane beside the Taff, from Radyr Court Road.

I had given up ever seeing such photos.

Brian R.

PS

Have you by any chance got any with one of the 15101 series shunters at Radyr ?

Hi Brian

How about these D9548/31/13 RADYR SHED

D9530 TREHERBERT

D9515 RADYR SHED 65

Hope you like

Cheers GARETH

Oh my goodness. I am going to need a lie down after looking at these.

I thought photos with one D95xx were like hen's teeth, but four in the same photo?  :O :danced:

Oh my goodness. I am going to need a lie down after looking at these.

I thought photos with one D95xx were like hen's teeth, but four in the same photo?  :O :danced:

It used to be quite common to see four or more at one location in South Wales; usually on the 'scrap line'. The ones at Landore seemed to be there for a year or more.

This thread just keeps on giving doesn't it?

Neil - re your photos in post #501.... just superb mate, utterley beguiling! Particularly the one of D7023 at Padd, the whole image sums up the look and feel of the place at the time, a dark dingy hole for most of the year with the sounds of (still mainly) Maybachs resonating from every corner. There have been many fantastic photos posted throughout these pages but for me this is hands down, the pic of the thread B) 

Edited by Rugd1022

Hi Brian

This one in Radyr yard.

Cheers GARETH

Sorry no smells

No smells ?

Gareth, you're forgiven.

I still remember seeing one of these for the first time, undergoing attention at Canton - and being confused by the numbering.

Perhaps one day, someone like Bachmann will make the LMS verison (12033 etc) and I can renumber one, or two.

Thanks again - I'm sat staring at my screen, twiddling my thumbs, waiting to see what's next.......

Brian R

• Like 1

Two from me to throw into the pot.

D818 Glory 4 Sep 1972 at St Erth, not long before withdrawal.  The name plate on this side is missing.

attachicon.gifimg039.jpg

My favourite Western, D1005 Western Venturer, approaches Middleway Crossing near St. Blazey - 18 Sep 1976 on the 10:50 (SO) Newquay - Newcastle.  The penultimate Western I saw in action.

attachicon.gifimg151.jpg

Two brilliant shots there Paul......wasn't Glory one of the Warships which were withdrawn & then reinstated ? :)

Such a shame that after such a charmed life 818 came to such an abrupt end with the closure of Swindon :(

Thanks for posting 

Phill  :locomotive:

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)

Gareths photos of 'nine-fivers' (Class 14 to the youngsters) has re-ignited the spark - despite their shortcomings, as an enthusiast I liked them; as they were a sort of 'half-way house' between a shunter and a real engine.

It's amazing how little has ever been written about them, as although they were here today and gone tomorrow - it was in the 1960s when there were still enthusiasts recording sightings, workings etc.

For years other enthusiasts were disbelieving when I said they worked on in the Cardiff area well after their official withdrawal dates.

I remember being on the footbridge at Canton, one freezing November night in 1969, warming myself over the exhaust from one officially withdrawn example as it ticked over at the entrance to Canton Mileage Siding(s).

My notes show the following South Wales duties ( 24 ) for the class during the summer of 1967

CANTON allocated locos

(i) -   Ebbw Jct trips to Uskmouth Branch

(ii) -  Ebbw Jct trips to Bedwas Colliery & Trehomas Coke Ovens

(iii) - Pontypool Road trips to Abergavenny

(iv) - Pontypool Road trips to Glascoed

(v) -  Aberbeeg trip pilot

(vi) - Aberbeeg banker

(vii) - Severn Tunnel Jct trips to Chepstow & Tintern Quarry.

(viii) - Cardiff area - trips to Barry, Barry Docks & Radyr

(ix) - Cardiff area - trips to  Ely Paper Mill, Newtown Yard & Radyr

(x) - Cardiff area - trips to Penarth Town & Penarth Cement Works

(xi) - Radyr trips to Cathays, Gabalfa Coal Yard and Stanton & Staveley (Mynachdy Road)

(xii) - Radyr trips to Aber Jct.

(xiii) - Radyr trips to Treforest Estate, Treforest Coal Yard, Pontypridd & Maritime Colliery.

(xiv) - Barry trips to Aberthaw

(xv) - Abercynon trips to Lady Windsor Colliery Ynysybwl.

(xvi) - Aberdare trips to Mountain Ash

(xvii) - Aberdare trips to Abercwmboi (Phurnacite Plant)

(xviii) - Treherbert - local trips Rhondda Valley

LANDORE allocated locos

(i) Landore trips to Landore steelworks, Margam & Neath

(ii) Swansea Eastern Depot trips to Mond Nickel & Felin Fran

(iii) - Swansea Eastern Depot 'control'

(iv) - Margam trips to Glyncorrwg

(v) - Margam trips to Cymmer Afan

(vi) - Margam trips to Swansea Eastern Depot

Brian R

• Like 3

Gareths photos of 'nine-fivers' (Class 14 to the youngsters) has re-ignited the spark - despite their shortcomings, as an enthusiast I liked them; as they were a sort of 'half-way house' between a shunter and a real engine.

It's amazing how little has ever been written about them, as although they were here today and gone tomorrow - it was in the 1960s when there were still enthusiasts recording sightings, workings etc.

For years other enthusiasts were disbelieving when I said they worked on in the Cardiff area well after their official withdrawal dates.

I remember being on the footbridge at Canton, one freezing November night in 1969, warming myself over the exhaust from one officially withdrawn example as it ticked over at the entrance to Canton Mileage Siding(s).

My notes show the following South Wales duties ( 24 ) for the class during the summer of 1967

CANTON allocated locos

(i) -   Ebbw Jct trips to Uskmouth Branch

(ii) -  Ebbw Jct trips to Bedwas Colliery & Trehomas Coke Ovens

(iii) - Pontypool Road trips to Abergavenny

(iv) - Pontypool Road trips to Glascoed

(v) -  Aberbeeg trip pilot

(vi) - Aberbeeg banker

(vii) - Severn Tunnel Jct trips to Chepstow & Tintern Quarry.

(viii) - Cardiff area - trips to Barry, Barry Docks & Radyr

(ix) - Cardiff area - trips to  Ely Paper Mill, Newtown Yard & Radyr

(x) - Cardiff area - trips to Penarth Town & Penarth Cement Works

(xi) - Radyr trips to Cathays, Gabalfa Coal Yard and Stanton & Staveley (Mynachdy Road)

(xii) - Radyr trips to Aber Jct.

(xiii) - Radyr trips to Treforest Estate, Treforest Coal Yard, Pontypridd & Maritime Colliery.

(xiv) - Barry trips to Aberthaw

(xv) - Abercynon trips to Lady Windsor Colliery Ynysybwl.

(xvi) - Aberdare trips to Mountain Ash

(xvii) - Aberdare trips to Abercwmboi (Phurnacite Plant)

(xviii) - Treherbert - local trips Rhondda Valley

LANDORE allocated locos

(i) Landore trips to Landore steelworks, Margam & Neath

(ii) Swansea Eastern Depot trips to Mond Nickel & Felin Fran

(iii) - Swansea Eastern Depot 'control'

(iv) - Margam trips to Glyncorrwg

(v) - Margam trips to Cymmer Afan

(vi) - Margam trips to Swansea Eastern Depot

Brian R

Are you on bridge Brian

Nope Gareth, not on the bridge in your pic of D9510 - and now the bridge has followed the 'nine-fivers' into oblivion.

My notes for D9510 show it was allocated to Canton, from new on 18th. September, 1964, exactly one month before Gareth's photo.

By 24th. December, 1966 it was stored at Worcester - and from 20th May 1967 was transferred to Hull Daireycoates from where it was withdrawn the following April.

It was sold to BSC for use at Buckminster Quarries and delivered to High Dyke circa December, 1968.

Brian R