RMWeb Members Day, Taunton 2015 - serious menu choices!

Captain Kernow

Pasty or Pie; pie or pasty?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Pasty or Pie; pie or pasty?

• I intend coming to Taunton and I'd go for the traditional pasty.
    • I intend coming to Taunton but I'd opt for the innovative pie proposal.
    • I intend coming to Taunton and can foresee I will be hungry enough to go for both.
    • I intend coming to Taunton but all the above are too meaty so I'd like a delicate cheese & onion pasty please.

Oh, thanks for that reminder...!

The Ladies of the Catering Team ask me to remind all exhibitors, demonstrators and traders - PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN MUG FOR TEAS AND COFFEES!

If you don't bring your own mug, and come abashed to the food counter, I am told that dire consequences may ensue...! 

Edit - ordinary visiting RMWeb 'punters' don't need to bring their own mugs, of course, for such esteemed customers we have suitable crockery...!

No mention of tea pots ?

post-20303-0-01988600-1427753707.jpg

You'll need 'em to match those mugs !

• 2 weeks later...

The latest reschedule of work means that I won;t be making Taunton this year - I've deleted my food vote.

Bu99er!

Really....can I have your sausage then please ! LOL :)

• RMweb Gold

You think you are safe from that once retired then you find someone chooses the wrong weekend to visit or falls ill ( that was two Guildex missed)  Yesterday I would have been doing a  Demo at the !6mm Garden railway show is it weren't for Hospital Appointments (to far for a quick trip) you just cannot win them all.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Dear All,

I will be ordering the pasties and pies in the next few days, and will be guided in no small measure by the results of the poll above. Please ensure that you cast your vote by Friday this week (17th April), if you haven't done so already.

In particular, I would ask all those who said they wanted both a beef pasty AND a slice of chicken & ham pie but who now may have second thoughts, to amend your poll results by Friday.

Thank you.

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget the spouses/partners CK who are not RMWeb members!!

Yes, good point, Paul, but even so, the overall numbers of pasties is generally similar from year to year, and each time I think that I'll increase the number, we end up selling 'em off cheap or taking 'em home.

I'm relying on those who have said they'll have both pasty and pie to do so - this is pretty much your last chance to vote in the poll or amend your vote, as I will have to place the order for the pasties and pies this weekend.

I confirm my intention to purchase both pie and pasty.

Pasty for lunch.

The Pie I shall disguise in a bright Hawaiin shirt and smuggle out whilst muttering, "Neil, glad you could make it after all". Once 'liberated' it will be transported back to the Forest of Dean, treated well overnight, before being sacrificed in the ritual known as Monday Lunch........

This is my solemn intent.

Unfortunately someone has decided that we should go out for dinner with the family, something to do with my parent's Silver wedding anniversary or something equally insignificant, since I was at the wedding (ahem...) I suppose I should be there- and as such, I've deleted my vote too.

I shall endeavour to have a sausage based meal (I fear I'm unlikely to encounter a pasty)!  

• RMweb Gold

I confirm my intention to purchase both pie and pasty.

Pasty for lunch.

The Pie I shall disguise in a bright Hawaiin shirt and smuggle out whilst muttering, "Neil, glad you could make it after all". Once 'liberated' it will be transported back to the Forest of Dean, treated well overnight, before being sacrificed in the ritual known as Monday Lunch........

This is my solemn intent.

Are things that bad in the Forest that you have to smuggle food in?  I know at one stage the wild boar were raiding Coleford Co-op.

Don

• RMweb Gold

OK, the car is almost loaded, and there is a lot of food this year, on account of the new menu option of Chicken & Ham pie. I'm sorry to keep banging on about this, but I really am relying on those who have expressed preferences to come forward and 'Eat for RMWeb' on the day!

• RMweb Gold

OK, the car is almost loaded, and there is a lot of food this year, on account of the new menu option of Chicken & Ham pie. I'm sorry to keep banging on about this, but I really am relying on those who have expressed preferences to come forward and 'Eat for RMWeb' on the day!

Count me out on the Chicken and Ham pie but I will do my best on the cake having forgotten what my preferences are perhaps a piece of each cake will do :jester:

Don

• RMweb Gold

We have been through this before I am not a carnivore thank you. Besides I believe the original pasties were potato swede and onion.  Adding meat came later.

Don

• RMweb Gold

I recall going into the kitchen as the ladies were apologising to someone for the fact that the non-meat pasty that had been voted for in the poll wasn't still there to be eaten.... very sorry about that, it wouldn't do any harm to bring another couple next time, so I'll make a note to that effect....

• RMweb Gold

I recall going into the kitchen as the ladies were apologising to someone for the fact that the non-meat pasty that had been voted for in the poll wasn't still there to be eaten.... very sorry about that, it wouldn't do any harm to bring another couple next time, so I'll make a note to that effect....

It was probably a good thing for my waistline. I did manade to have two pieces of cake (choc and Guiness and Date and Walnut worth going just for the cake.

Don

• RMweb Gold

It was probably a good thing for my waistline. I did manade to have two pieces of cake (choc and Guiness and Date and Walnut worth going just for the cake.

Don

As each year goes by, CAKEPO (the Swagonian Secret Cake Police) establishes ever improved intelligence on what cakes are popular. The above two types have been noted as amongst the ringleaders in cake popularity...

• RMweb Gold

One other thing, it is clear that the chicken & ham pie was very popular, so this will return to the menu in future years...!

In the event of the local supplier going into liquidation, I will call upon the inhabitants of the 'A Nod to Brent' thread to galvanise themselves into action and get their pinnys on! :jester:

Might I say how much I enjoyed the Staplegrove Food Fayre (seemed to clash with some sort of railway event?).

Pasty, a very delicious salad and Chocolate and Guiness cake on the day, the most excellent Chicken and Ham pie for lunch yesterday and I, have to confess, a second pasty awaits it's fate for lunch today.

Thanks Good Captain and all the galley crew for taking such good care of us (if not our waistlines.....)

Archived