RMWeb Members Day, Taunton 2015 - serious menu choices!

Captain Kernow

Pasty or Pie; pie or pasty?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Pasty or Pie; pie or pasty?

• I intend coming to Taunton and I'd go for the traditional pasty.
    • I intend coming to Taunton but I'd opt for the innovative pie proposal.
    • I intend coming to Taunton and can foresee I will be hungry enough to go for both.
    • I intend coming to Taunton but all the above are too meaty so I'd like a delicate cheese & onion pasty please.

• RMweb Gold

As I am planning to attend and given that I reside in a land know for fine pies, would there be any mileage in me bringing with me a quantity of Proper Melton Mowbray Pork Pies?

Hi Steve - may I respectfully refer the Honourable Gentleman to post 16 on the Cake Poll threat - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95676-taunton-2015-cake-poll/ with regard to the bringing of additional food items that aren't purely for one's own, personal consumption. Since the incident mentioned by Andy Y, we have had to increase the hours of the Swagonian Border Guards, and actually pay them a proper wage...

Seriously - we don't mind anyone bringing their own lunch, but the food planning for this event means that the Catering Ladies need to be in full control of catering supplies that go out through the food counter.

Many thanks.

• RMweb Premium

And if we are lucky there might even be some model railways to look at during the Pasty Tasting Day, or The Pasty-In, or Expo-Pasty, or whatever the correct term is, any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I see Messrs Posh & Rangerover have opened a food outlet featuring a "luxury" pasty costing £230. It appears tho have nothing Cornish about it whatsoever. http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11823045.Would_you_spend___230_on_a_Cornish_pasty__This_Hampshire_chef_hopes_so/

I thought the discerning pasty lovers might be amused.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

I see Messrs Posh & Rangerover have opened a food outlet featuring a "luxury" pasty costing £230. It appears tho have nothing Cornish about it whatsoever. http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11823045.Would_you_spend___230_on_a_Cornish_pasty__This_Hampshire_chef_hopes_so/

I thought the discerning pasty lovers might be amused.

Pete

Hardly a 'Cornish pasty' however much he rips you off for it it costs, next think we know the twit will be putting carrot and peas in it - ignoramus!

• RMweb Gold

It's not Cornish - made in 'ampshire not Kernow.

Agreed, but the article - if not necessarily the twit who makes it - refers to it very clearly as a 'Cornish Pasty'.  Now I'm wholly aware that many provincial newspapers do not necessarily employ the brightest stars in the journalistic firmament and I'm equally aware that those without any sort of West of England association or background might have difficulty in recognising a proper job pasty even if they fell over it.  But it is called, obviously incorrectly, a Cornish Pasty and that could well confuse and mislead the less informed members of society who are also not wholly aware of the way a proper job pasty should be put together;  for a start the nitwit isn't even using the correct cut of meat.

What I find a little odd that he's using all those air miles to make the stupid thing and it's an event at the Eden Project which IIRC has quite a bit to do with the environment and sustainability - I remember having to separate the plastic window out of my boxed sandwich to go in a separate bin.

At least our dear Captain pops down the village (I'm sure he'd walk back with them if he wasn't buying so many) and the only packaging is a paper bag. I'm sure he'll confirm (or deny) in due course that it is from a sustainable source such as Jethro's Iffy Paper Mill down at Brinkly Bottom.

With regards to CK's pasty activities, is there any truth in the rumour that he has an old BR(W) platform trolley for collecting said pasties?

And here he is (Centre-Back) waiting for The Baron to get off the trolley and give him a hand - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/38591-quai87/?p=1787512

• RMweb Gold

At least our dear Captain pops down the village (I'm sure he'd walk back with them if he wasn't buying so many

Actually, I could walk back if I was allowed to start eating 'em straight away.... I'd probably get 100 yards or so, anyway...

Anyone get the impression that the little trains are very much secondary to the pasties ;) ?

Trains? Who said anything about trains? There had better be tea too as I've just bought The Stationmaster a new mug for the occasion

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Trains? Who said anything about trains? There had better be tea too as I've just bought The Stationmaster a new mug for the occasion

Oh, thanks for that reminder...!

The Ladies of the Catering Team ask me to remind all exhibitors, demonstrators and traders - PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN MUG FOR TEAS AND COFFEES!

If you don't bring your own mug, and come abashed to the food counter, I am told that dire consequences may ensue...! 

Edit - ordinary visiting RMWeb 'punters' don't need to bring their own mugs, of course, for such esteemed customers we have suitable crockery...!

Archived