Theft from Stafford Show

Tase

Handling is one of the easiest offences to gain a conviction for. A handler can even be convicted of the impossible. I think it is R v Shivpuri 1987.

It is knowing or believing goods to be stolen, not just knowing. In the not too distant past, you could be convicted of "Unlawful Possession" if you couldn't produce a receipt! These were mainly local authority by-laws, such as the Liverpool Corporation Act. Most of these local by-laws have been superseded by Acts of Parliament. My favourite used to be that Hackney Cab taxi's had to carry a Bail of Straw in the boot.

Allegedly it is still legal to shoot a Welshman with a longbow in Hereford, as long as it's on a Sunday and within the Cathedral Close!

Allegedly it is still legal to shoot a Welshman with a longbow in Hereford, as long as it's on a Sunday and within the Cathedral Close!

A similar rule is said to apply in Chester, within the walls.

Its having the longbow to hand thats the problem....  :jester:

It is often not the original thief that sells the item.

Most of those who steal items are not interested in or have little concept of item value. It is often straight down to their local pub/club/community centre and the item is exchanged for a few ££ to fuel their drug habit. The item often passing through several "handlers" before it finally reaches someone with sufficient knowledge to sell it on at a sensible s/h price and is prepared to risk the exposure, delay and traceability of ebay

When i used to live in Dorset I suffered the indignity of a breakin. Fortunately despite finding my model railway stuff they elected to go after electrical mostly, using the bed covers as swag bags... Anyway, when the Dorset police finally showed up the nice young policeman told me that they had an idea who had burgled me but they didn't want to catch them. when I challenged this I was told that they are drug addicts and if caught we will have pay for them to go through rehab whereas leaving them at large they would probably overdose in a few weeks or so and would save the state some money. I'm sure this isn't official police policy...?

It often worries me where these people get rid of the items they steal?

£120 of solder is'nt simply nicking a bit to save someone "having to buy it", thats theft to sell on in a grand scale to "sell it on", keep your eyes and ears open.  Lets make it difficult to dispose of these items into saleable items.

When i used to live in Dorset I suffered the indignity of a breakin. Fortunately despite finding my model railway stuff they elected to go after electrical mostly, using the bed covers as swag bags... Anyway, when the Dorset police finally showed up the nice young policeman told me that they had an idea who had burgled me but they didn't want to catch them. when I challenged this I was told that they are drug addicts and if caught we will have pay for them to go through rehab whereas leaving them at large they would probably overdose in a few weeks or so and would save the state some money. I'm sure this isn't official police policy...?

Without going into details, I concur.

I think Widnes Model Centre's idea of a Stolen section is a good one.

It would be easier to check rather than to remember it was in ?.

We could also use it to pass on information to retailers and people we know who are not members of this forum.

• RMweb Gold

Been there, seen that, with the local car thief who exceeded take-off speed just as he entered a tree-lined bend. Neighbourhood car crime reduced by 75% in one night.

Anyway, when the Dorset police finally showed up the nice young policeman told me that they had an idea who had burgled me but they didn't want to catch them. when I challenged this I was told that they are drug addicts and if caught we will have pay for them to go through rehab whereas leaving them at large they would probably overdose in a few weeks or so and would save the state some money. I'm sure this isn't official police policy...?

I think it's called Eugenics......

I think they had a hit with "Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This".

I thought it was "Sweet Dreams Are Made Of Cheese"...

Back on topic I guess some of us are more honest than others, I regularly get shared posts on facebook of stolen cars and there's been at least one example of sharing using social media leading to recovery of a car so I think a section mightn't be a bad idea.

The only problem with a special topic/section is that it will inevitably get cluttered with general comments most of which are not relevant or useful - just like this topic has been

Though perhaps the solution to that problem is Kenton should be asked to get sent overseas more often.

just elected not to pay as he walked out with his beer and cigs......

Alzheimers is sadly an illness many of us will encounter in later life. It might not be the excuse (explanation) in that case, but is something that needs consideration.

The only problem with a special topic/section is that it will inevitably get cluttered with general comments most of which are not relevant or useful - just like this topic has been

Though perhaps the solution to that problem is Kenton should be asked to get sent overseas more often.

Yes it may get general comments, but if given a relevant title and details of the stolen goods in the first post then there is no need to read on if you don't wish to.

Or could the 'mods' come up with some way of controlling it.

I'm sure that could be arranged.....  :butcher:

Really? Do you have any evidence for that?

Andrew

[What's happened to the disagree button?]

Well there's a gap that apparently means "hit by mistake" ... honestly, I didn't see you - you should have ducked. I'd just seen that picture of Ian Duncan Smith and ...

Having  identified  some  stolen  goods  from  a  local  preserved  railway  being  sold  on  Ebay  I  found  how  difficult  it  is  to  get  anything  done.

Ebay  wont  talk  to  you  unless  you  are  a  Police  Officer.

The  police  were  notified  and  got  the  relevant  address,  they  then  visited  and  recovered  several  as  yet  unsold  items.

The  individual  (a  well  known  local  thief)  claimed  he  bought  them  of  someone  else  whom  he  refused  to  name.

The  CPS  deemed  insufficent  evidence  for  a  prosecution!.

Result  was  all  items  already  sold  on  Ebay  were  lost  and  the  thief  kept  the  money  he  had  made.

Only  the  recovered  items  were  returned  to  the  railway  and  this  was  only  because  the  thief  didnt  insist  they  were  returned  to  him.  The  police  in this  case  did  what  they  could  and  took  the  opportunity  to  give  his  house  a  good   going  over  but  it  was  the  failure  of  the  CPS  to  proceed  which  stopped  everything.

Pete

Archived