The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

I can take a joke, but......

jonny777

But that is the point here.

We are expected not to take offence and duly comply, and yet any jokes such as these which instead targeted religious groups or ethnic minorities and they would not only take immediate offence, but the police would be called in and questions asked in parliament.

How much association between trainspotting and being on the sex offenders register does it need, before someone is knifed by a proper nutcase who has read that page and then makes a bee-line for Crewe station (or any other station for that matter)?

Go away and read the rest of the comic. If people took everything in there seriously (and it's quite happy to prod religious and political types as well) and reacted (in)appropriately then very few people would leave the house. Seriously. Look at where the material has come from. If you read a copy of Viz and find yourself taking it seriously then you should really be in a room where the walls and floors are made of something very soft...

• RMweb Gold

Quite agree with Chaz but a moment's reflection shows what a crazy world we live in with some folk 'protected' from insult by the law but others excluded from such 'protection'.  In almost all cases - except that of ethnicity - such 'protection' is given to someone who has made a choice to follow a particular course in life or do a particular thing.  The hypocrisy of society is that while some people are very quick to not only defend such 'protection' but to extol its assumed (by them)  virtues (and in some cases make a lot of money out of it) they can be just as persistent as those of lesser mind in picking on those who do not have such 'protection' conferred on them by either law or a matter of good taste.

I think I have now made my attitude to such people quite plain.   The above cartoon will be seen by many as tasteless, by some as insulting, and by some as funny - to me it simply shows the petty mindedness of the person who wrote it but I have to agree with PhilH that in some respects it is well observed.  Looked at another way - it is still legal to say this sort of thing about 'trainspotters', the shame of some of our laws are that they seem to have replaced good taste and sense with legal enforcement and are thus a waste of everyone's time.

• RMweb Premium

I shall apply for all but one of those, with a 'humourous' C.V. attached of course...................

Pity that some other characters are not lampooned e.g. Top Gear fans........................................

Have already gone.

Q

I was going to say that, some of the references (I.e. the difference between a Deltic and a class 55) are clearly written by someone who knows what they are talking about!

Incidentally, 5 minutes on the Viz Facebook page and Prince William is apparently pregnant and there's a page advertising Catholic Priest repellants for choirboys, so presumably once he's finished at Crewe the knife wielding nutter will be off to his nearest Catholic Church ;)

I agree with Brian.  

The piece is from from Viz; most of us know what Viz is; it is a form of humour; free speech and all that; if you don't like it, don't read it - there are far worse things around, I can assure you; I am tempted to add 'get a life' but that would be OTT, wouldn't it?

• RMweb Gold

Surely this only relates to 'train spotters'.....

For model railway enthusiasts it should be ' wears clothes that smell vile and has chronic body odour ' ?!

I stood next to at least four like this at Stafford

You know who you are...........................

Before any others are tempted to come out with the same old cliches already aired on this thread; I will only say that I did not read that in the actual publication, I was emailed that page by an ex work colleague.

I have read Viz (about 30 years ago), and found a few of the jokes to be mildly amusing then, but not enough to make me waste my money on it. 

However, the same old tired trainspotter/anorak jokes tend to pale after 30 consecutive years of repetition, at least that is what I find anyway.

I will now go off and try to Get A Life (whatever that might mean) as instructed.

We are expected not to take offence and duly comply, and yet any jokes such as these which instead targeted religious groups or ethnic minorities and they would not only take immediate offence, but the police would be called in and questions asked in parliament.

And surely, by not taking offence, and smiling at (or simply shrugging off) the humour, we are a better and stronger group than those who leap to take offence at any perceived slight? For myself, I did a fair bit of writing-down of engine numbers in my youth, and I actually find the OP rather funny. Some of it is tru(ish!), some off it off-colour and borderline libellous, but knowing how Viz works, I found it very amusing indeed, laughing as much at the prejudices as at the trainspotters.

Darn it - comedy really does lose its edge when you over-analyse, doesn't it?

Viz has a long tradition of making jokes out of unlikely things. If you can find it, read their full-page advert for "Nazi Caravan" magazine. Actually, here it is:

http://funnypictures.co.uk/nazi-caravan/ 

Bad taste, yes, but one of the funniest things in the mag.

• RMweb Gold

Letter to editor of Viz

Dear Sir

Following your recent adverts I would like to describe my experiences of these strange bunches of people gathered in one location.

It would appear that they hang around individually or in small groups looking bored and vacant standing around in expectation but nothing seems to happens for hours on end and, sometimes, I'm told not at all. Occasionally though there is a sudden flurry of activity and excitement and they all rush to see what is causing the fuss but, after a couple of minutes comparing notes they return to standing around looking vacant and bemused.

I have found many of these people dressed strangely, some quite shabbily and there is certainly a weird collection of loose trousers, some of which I'm convinced are rubberised and some of which came up to their chests. Around more than a few there is a strange aroma.

They all seemed to have bags or kit boxes of some description, containing goodness knows what, as only occasionally are they opened and the contents shown only to others of their select band. I may have been mistaken but I'm convinced some were discussing their flies.

I noticed too that all of these people were grown men, I'm sure they must be single or live with their mothers as no one would otherwise desert their families for hours or days on end.

Strange folk these anglers.

• RMweb Premium

I shall apply for all but one of those, with a 'humourous' C.V. attached of course...................

Pity that some other characters are not lampooned e.g. Top Gear fans........................................

Have already gone.

Q

Hi Rat. I wondered if you might 'appear'!!!!  Are they really...? That puts a different slight on it, however the sex offender ref is a bit OTT IMO

P

Have you looked at your avatar lately? :jester:

• RMweb Premium

The editor/owners of Viz are..........railway enthusiasts and modellers.

Over the years there's been quite a few quirky references to 'the hobby'!

I can recall an interview on the radio, many years ago, with one of the Viz chaps where the interviewer was trying to take the micky out of him being a railway enthusiast. The editor (sorry don't recall his name) said one of his best days was when he was invited into the cab of the 08 at Newcastle station and spent the day trainspotting from in the station pilot.  He went on to say that trainspotters were the same as any other hobbyist, normal people.

So when they take the P out of railway enthusiast, they are taking it out of themselves, something some of us cannot do.

How much association between trainspotting and being on the sex offenders register does it need, before someone is knifed by a proper nutcase who has read that page and then makes a bee-line for Crewe station (or any other station for that matter)?

Oh dear. IMHO both religious groups and ethnic minorities are legitimate targets for humour, as indeed is everybody else. We need more jokes not less.

Pyschopathic loonies will always exist it seems but are fortunately fairly rare and, unlike in the US, not usually armed with guns. I know little of VIZ but I doubt it does much harm - such tripe is hard to take seriously (indeed one is not meant to).

Archived